Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Walk run programs are great. They are a great way to increase your mileage without getting hurt. I plan on using one myself later this season as I attempt to increase my mileage.

And I agree with all the advice everyone has given you, take it easy on your intervals to start. Like I said in my OP, for a beginner, it does not need to be sprinting, just striders will do.

What I'm finding is that with ramping up the intensity and/or mileage, I definitely have a tendency to develop trigger points. That can lead to tight tendons and injuries. So I'd be extra diligent about working your choice of myofascial release for the entire legs.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Well aparently colon cancer was just an inconvenient blip to my father and my parents would rather not deal with it. I am not sure I will do this run since I may not have a cheerleading group other than DH. I am thinking I may do the Tough Cookie Du that day and look for a 10k later on. My mom really annoyed me with her "Oh we don't like to talk about colon cancer". Unfortunately my doctors don't like to deny the risks it placed on me so I hear about it yearly.
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 01-30-2009 at 05:46 AM.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Well aparently colon cancer was just an inconvenient blip to my father and my parents would rather not deal with it. I am not sure I will do this run since I may not have a cheerleading group other than DH. I am thinking I may do the Tough Cookie Du that day and look for a 10k later on. My mom really annoyed me with her "Oh we don't like to talk about colon cancer". Unfortunately my doctors don't like to deny the risks it placed on me so I hear about it yearly.
    I'm sorry, Amanda! I know how much that stings... I received a similar reaction from my parents when DH and I rode the Tour de Cure last year. We did it to recognize my 10-year anniversary with diabetes, and my parents hardly acknowledged it...

If you want to do the 10K, do it, and don't let your parents get you down about it. I'll cheer for you, albeit from very far away

You know, there is a DU that day and I might just do that. The only thing that stinks is it is super short (2k, 10 mi, 2k) but running after bike is hard for me so it would be a challenge.

I am going to keep running, I even got a half marathon suddenly on my radar and a very supportive DH. He said if I still do this run he will be there but my parents just want to ignore colon cancer and I am beginning to think maybe I will just stop. The attitude is a bit toxic and I don't need it.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Any event you do should be for you. People react to illness in many different ways; while I would never "not talk about" something like cancer if I was treated and cured, I do tend to plow through things and then get on with it. It's probably the best way your parents can deal with it right now. So, don't take it personally. Looking to others to get kudos for something like a run or a ride just doesn't work. Think about how hard you are working to meet your goals and then reward yourself!

R- Thank you for the insightful reality check. I found some different and cooler events to do for me. Decided I will invite my parents to cheer me on if they want and reward myself with new running shoes to train for them in.

You know my mom's attitude is weird but she is right, my dad's cancer really sucked as a bystander. I found out 02/13. My birthday is 02/17. I remember crying on my birthday because I was scared.
    Amanda