Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have enjoyed the journal, too, reliving my ST ride of 2007. It is an awesome thing he has done, alone. You should be proud of him, Edna.

Yes, when is "Captain America" coming home? Any festivities planned for his arrival?
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker

I've been reading his tour diary, and I still haven't found a picture of him actually on the bike. I can't figure out how he rides it. Does his head stick up over the faring and out of the sock?

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

coming home :-)

Well, Dave will finish his tour this Sunday. He could actually have finished today or tomorrow, but he's kinda hanging back so he ends when I can actually be there. (he's going to get a motel tomorrow so he can watch the Nascar race on tv - in air-conditioned comfort) Saturday morning is the Sprint Tri I've been training for( www.canbygators.com , click on the “Gator Grinder” tab (at the top of the page) and view the dropdown menu), should be home about 2pm, in time to finish packing and head for the airport for 5:30 flight to Orlando. Arrive there 6am-ish, pick up rental car and head to Anastasia (sp?) State Park in St Augustine, and get us a campsite for Sunday night. He'll meet me there :-) Then we'll pack his bike up on Monday and get it to the shop that is going to ship it back to Portland for him http://www.pcbike.com/ - he met Jake from there, the second day on tour. Jake & Marty's tour journal/blog is good reading too: http://wherearethoseguys.blogspot.co...1_archive.html
    They did the ST in about 6 weeks - they were on a limited schedule so finished quite awhile ago.

Anyway, we'll get to spend a week checking out Florida, since neither of us have been there before, and end up in Miami visiting a friend who just had a liver transplant (Slo Joe Keenan - those of you on Bike Journal may know of him). Joe was going to surprise Dave and ride in the last couple days with him but the unexpected transplant kinda put a kink into that. So we'll go visit with him and Sue in Miama. Fly home on the 16th out of Ft Lauderdale.

Wow, I can't believe he's about done. It's been so much fun reading his journal and talking to him almost daily made it seem like he really wasn't that far away.

So far, the only welcome home party planned is a BBQ with family most likely the weekend after Memorial Day - we're busy all that long weekend with the Recumbent Races at PIR in Portland - I'm on the race committe and we both ride in it too. http://www.ohpv.org/HPC/index.html (if you're in Portland that weekend with nothing to do, stop by to watch some races and say hi).

I'm sure our group of friends won't let the opportunity for a party slip by. Something will get planned I'm sure :-)

Gotta go get stuff ready for the morning, and for Florida,
    Have a great weekend everyone,
    Edna

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    I've been reading his tour diary, and I still haven't found a picture of him actually on the bike. I can't figure out how he rides it. Does his head stick up over the faring and out of the sock?

Karen
    Let me find a picture for you - I know I have some good ones:
    http://www.ohpv.org/HPC/Committee.html
    if you scroll down about halfway, you'll see him during a wet, rainy race
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bruce's red with stars.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	9233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edna's winter floral soc.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	9234  

Thanks, Edna. I just finished reading the whole journal, and I finally did see a pic of him on the bike! That is a cool trip. I think Captain America fits quite nicely!

It sounds like he had a wonderful time, with very few incidents of any kind. Unlike some of the journals I've read there!

I hope some day bike tourists will start making their way across Arkansas, too!

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard