Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I may be wrong on this, but I understood that there's no such thing as an "incomplete" protein. All foods have protein, and nobody's ever lacking protein in the developing countries.
    Proteins are made up of amino acids. 23 of 'em. When your body breaks down food, it splits up the protein into the individual amino acids which are then available for your body to use to rebuild muscles, enzymes, etc.

"Complete" proteins contain all 23 in varying concentrations. "Incomplete" are missing one or more.

When the body is rebuilding, the enzymatic factory uses a recipe (DNA), and it adds the amino acids back in a very specific order and cannot deviate. If, in the soup of free amino acids, it can't find the one amino acid it needs, it stops and won't complete the instructions until that amino acid comes along.

For most of us, this isn't really an issue unless you have NO variety in your diet. But rice and beans don't even have to be eaten in the same meal to get the complementary benefits.

-- gnat! (For me, I feel like I ride better the day after a steak dinner...)

I think she meant "developED" countries. I've heard that, too, that Americans get way more protein than they need, even vegetarians.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    I've heard that, too, that Americans get way more protein than they need, even vegetarians.

Karen
    There's "need" and there's "need." I know that a person can survive and be healthy on less than 1 g protein per kg bodyweight per day. But if I'm not getting at least 1.75 g of quality protein per kg, I'm sore and tired all the time and I can't build muscle. That's not something I read or a conclusion that I reached when I was thinking about protein; it's something I discovered accidentally one day when I ate a tuna sandwich at lunch and miraculously wasn't sore for the rest of that day and the next day. Any time I did that, the soreness stayed away and I got stronger.

As I mentioned, it's really been a struggle for me to get that much protein in my diet without a lot of animal products (and by "a lot" I mean more than 3 meals per week, which counts as a lot for almost the entire world), but now that I've added it up, I can see what my problem is (low-protein breakfasts and lunches) and start to remedy it. Mmmm, chickpeas for breakfast!
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 01-16-2009 at 09:12 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    There's "need" and there's "need." I know that a person can survive and be healthy on less than 1 g protein per kg bodyweight per day. But if I'm not getting at least 1.75 g of quality protein per kg, I'm sore and tired all the time and I can't build muscle. That's not something I read or a conclusion that I reached when I was thinking about protein; it's something I discovered accidentally one day when I ate a tuna sandwich at lunch and miraculously wasn't sore for the rest of that day and the next day. Any time I did that, the soreness stayed away and I got stronger.

Another thing I learned is that if I'm not eating adequate calories in a day, it doesn't matter if I eat protein only (yes, an exaggeration, because there is no such thing!), I will not build muscle. All that protein will go toward fulfilling my base caloric needs and not be used for muscle-building purposes. In order for the protein (or any other nutrients for that matter) to do that work, I have to be fulfilling my base caloric needs first and foremost. Just learned that from my doc a couple months ago . . .

Kefir is good; I purchase plain and flavor it myself. Sometimes I add whey protein powder.

Pam

Quinoa and Aramanth are grains that are high in protien and do have all the essential amino acids humans need. I haven't tried Aramanth yet, but Quinoa is delicious and extremely versatile.

Nuts are great, but if you have a tendency to overeat them, it's probably better to not snack on them exclusively (meaning that your whole snack is just nuts). Use them to supplement other foods (like on a salad or as a topping) so that they aren't your sole source of calories at that particular meal/feeding. I find this makes it easier to include them in the plan without the danger of over-eating them (an issue for me).

Ricotta, cottage cheese, yogurt, milk and many types of cheeses are great ways to increase your protien, too. While dairy is not an essential part of the diet, it is an easy way to add variety.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I have used seitan like tofu. There's some recipes in the Moosewood vegetarian cookbook that uses it.
    A funny story about seitan...
    When my younger son was in HS he worked at the natural foods grocery store. I called him one day while he was working, to see if the store had it, because I had never heard of it and I wanted to make one of the recipes in the Moosewood book.
    All I heard was him yelling was, "Hey, my mom wants to know if you have Satan here."

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Quinoa and Aramanth are grains that are high in protien and do have all the essential amino acids humans need. I haven't tried Aramanth yet, but Quinoa is delicious and extremely versatile.
    I have a recipe at home for amaranth porridge. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out too well when I made it. Not sure if it was me, or this is how amaranth is supposed to turn out, but mind was very sticky and gooey. I did NOT like the texture at all! Anyway, if you are interested I'll post the recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    you're not serious, are you?!

sorry, I had meant to say "developed", not "developing".

I prefer amaranth plain if I'm going to have it, just because it is so gooey. It doesn't seem to play well with other ingredients IMO. I do like the flavor, but it's a PITA to clean up.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I must share a product that I've found to be perfect for me, especially since I have weight to lose. I checked with Whole Foods about a good meal replacement drink because I didn't want only whey protein by itself; I wanted a drink that would not only provide protein but as much nutrition as possible. More bang for the buck, so to speak.

Well, I found "Vega — Complete Whole Food Health Optimizer" that is an "all-in-one, natural plant-based formula" made by Sequel. You wouldn't believe how many nutrients it contains, plus 15 grams of fiber and 26 grams of protein (in one serving). With the optimum amount of fiber being roughly 35 grams/day, this goes a long way toward fulfilling that.

I'm not affiliated with this product in any way; am simply a consumer.

Web site is www.myvega.com
    Last edited by kjay; 01-16-2009 at 12:50 PM.

I had dietary issues and went to a registered dietician/RN nutritionist.
    Her information helped me tremendously. If it's possible to consider a nutritionist for assistance, I suggest it.

If you have a specific need, and can find a cultural diet which addresses it, that helps take the sting out of the changes. I have found that for myself eating a lot of Japanese style food, within my understanding of it, has allowed me to eat within my restricted parameters but not feel deprived. A friend chose to eat more of an Indian diet, being more dairy oriented and meatless.

Be careful of the protein powders out there, some of them have strange additives.
    If you eat eggs, hard boil a dozen once a week, just to have available to you.

I hope you find a great solution for your system.

How does that wonder vegan drink taste? Which flavor do you drink?
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

kacie, the Vega drink is actually not all that bad. Our Whole Foods carries only the chocolate and berry flavors, so they're the only ones I've tried. I prefer the berry flavor because I can add lemon-flavored Omega oil and other fruit like blueberries, etc, which don't taste all that great to me in a chocolate drink. .

kjay - is the protien content in that drink from soy?

Oh, and yeah - it's amaranth - I have a HUGE mental block about that one. I always type it aramanth!

michelem - I would love the recipe!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom