Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Jan 14 rides

Jan 14 rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Or "rides" as the case may be. Generally I don't find it worth sharing my spin class "rides", which are the only riding I do in winter. But today I really put my training results to a test. I need to be in shape for 7 straight days of all-day riding by the first week of June, so it's definitely time to be getting stronger. Also, I hadn't been able to make up my mind which spin class to take today -- the classical music class, or the intervals class (both tough 55 minute workouts)? So I did both, back-to-back. And it even felt pretty good Shoulders are a bit sore now (but then I also did my weights workout for warm-ups before class, so maybe that's the bench press, or the rowing, or the shoulder circles with hand weights). Otherwise I feel fine. I may actually be in shape in time for the ALC after all
    Last edited by Duck on Wheels; 01-14-2009 at 12:18 PM.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

I never heard of a classical music spin class! What are some examples of pieces they play?

I mentioned my morning ride in another thread... but since I just got back from some errands/dinner out, there's another ride to post. This morning I came out for the regular Wednesday club ride, it was 44°F and none of those other weenies showed up. So I did our regular route alone (we don't have too many options here) plus the extra loop for a total of about 46. (That counts 3/4 of a mile riding circles around the parking lot waiting for anyone else to show up. ) Slower than we do it as a club ride - partly because a paceline always makes it go faster, partly because my legs are fried from the extra intervals I ran yesterday, partly because I'm just not motivated to "train" on the bici when I'm all alone. But it was a nice ride.

Then late this afternoon DH wanted to run some errands - I leaned on him to take the commuter bikes rather than fire the car up. Since it was getting on towards dinner time when we finished up - we were passing right by a new restaurant I wanted to try - plus I was ravenous from this morning's ride, we ate out before riding home. So another 12 miles tonight.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 01-14-2009 at 04:09 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Went for 2.4 mile run, my first in a least a month. I felt surprisingly strong which was fun. The park with a walking trail is really dead this time of year, kind of peaceful but also creepy. Came home to do abs on the new balance ball, it really is a lot of fun!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

18 mile ride today; 3rd day in a row. Legs were tired and slow.
    I got a late start, and by the end of the ride it was well after 5. Need to be careful about that because I don't have lights on my bike and I was wearing black tights - not uber visable in the dark
    Debra
    Cure cancer. Ride a bike.
    www.livestrong.org

Debra- At very least pick up an inexpensive taillight. I have a small one found at performance that is surprisingly bright and was only about $10-15. It clips nicely on my saddle bag and comes in handy if my ride takes a bit longer than planned. Hi-viz/reflective is best but at least if I am caught at dusk I can have my light somewhat alerting people. I usually leave it on my pack in case of a cloudy day too.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I never heard of a classical music spin class! What are some examples of pieces they play?

I mentioned my morning ride in another thread... but since I just got back from some errands/dinner out, there's another ride to post. This morning I came out for the regular Wednesday club ride, it was 44°F and none of those other weenies showed up. So I did our regular route alone (we don't have too many options here) plus the extra loop for a total of about 46. (That counts 3/4 of a mile riding circles around the parking lot waiting for anyone else to show up. ) Slower than we do it as a club ride - partly because a paceline always makes it go faster, partly because my legs are fried from the extra intervals I ran yesterday, partly because I'm just not motivated to "train" on the bici when I'm all alone. But it was a nice ride.

Then late this afternoon DH wanted to run some errands - I leaned on him to take the commuter bikes rather than fire the car up. Since it was getting on towards dinner time when we finished up - we were passing right by a new restaurant I wanted to try - plus I was ravenous from this morning's ride, we ate out before riding home. So another 12 miles tonight.
    I'd ride in 44F! I'd wear wool, but I'd ride. Here it's now 24F and lots of ice and snow on the roads. Some people ride year round even here, but it's beyond my weenie threshold. What's your route like? Only one option, you say, so I hope it's a good one.

Examples of music on the classical spin program yesterday: Sailor's hornpipe, William Tell overture, Hall of the Mountain King, a lot of Viennese waltz stuff and Russian ballet stuff, Pomp and Circumstance. Lots of high-cadence work and a few slow, high-resistance climbs. I found the music more effort-inspiring than some of the techno and hip-hop stuff we get in other classes (for which I generally wear ear plugs to protect what's left of my hearing and avoid being annoyed by the boring music), but classic rock works even better for getting me to ride harder.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

I did 13 miles, pretty much just errands around town. Started off at 33 degrees and fog so thick, visibility was less than a mile. By the time I got about two miles from the house, the visibility had dropped to less than a quarter of a mile. I think that was the first time I had ran lights in the daytime for extra visibility.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X