Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What to look for when bike shopping?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Ladies of TE

I am in need of your wisdom. I have a friend who is new to the world of exercise but is strongly considering joining me for a womens mini-tri and a womens ride this year. She needs to get a bike and is of course looking to me for guidance but I honestly don't know what to look for. (I bought my bike on my own 4 years ago and am just now learning that the shop guy I put my trust in was just in it for the sale, sigh - oh well, Maybe I can afford a new bike for myself next year). But I digress. I want to make sure my friend gets a great bike so her first experience is fab and she wants to keep riding.

So what should we be looking for in a good road bike? What type of components? What are some keys I should look for when working with the local shop guys to know they are giving us right info and not just trying to make the sale?

Thanks

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    A price range would be needed, for starters.
    Also, if you take a quick look at the "New Riders" forum:
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59 you'll find many recent threads jam packed with useful information concerning that very question..."what should I be looking for in a good road bike?"....etc.

Keep in mind that the lower the price limit, the harder it becomes to suggest 'a good road bike' and the harder it is to define what 'good' is.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

She should definitely go for color first, j/k

I agree with above, some good stuff in beginner's forum. I made the mistake of going cheap and not focusing on fit the first time around. My two cents is that it definitely pays in the end to splurge and get something that fits well and has decent components.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/