Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cross fork recommendations?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a Kona Jake the Snake that I use more for road riding than for dedicated CX. I have steel fork and really want to upgrade to carbon. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good middle of the road fork? I don't race, just looking to lighten up the bike and for a less bumpy ride.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Careful - I installed a Ritchet WCS carbon cross fork and had horrible brake shudder (too flexible?). (Like you, I was also riding on the road.) After a lot of "tuning" the brakes (toe-in, toe-out, different brake pads, cleaning the pads and rirm, etc.) and no change, gave up on the Ritchey, switched to a slightly heavier (stiffer?) Bontrager carbon cross fork and the problem virtually disappeared. Good luck!

Thanks. I'm thinking a lot of this depends on the bike, however. What are you riding?

Also, did you sell the fork? Looking to sell it?
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

I also have a "do anything" CX-type setup w/ Avid cantilevers on a bike I typically only ride road and packed dirt trails (at the moment, at least!). I found a new Stella Azzurra Bellagio carbon fork through the folks at the Serotta forum for a great deal and had my LBS install. It's been fabulous - no issues, just a smooth ride and a nice weight savings, and much better aesthetics in my view over say a "loud" Reynolds.... I really notice the difference on harsher pavement -- less noise/chatter -- and with turns there's a really nice, hard to describe, carving sensation...

I considered a Winwood when I first had my bike built, since there weren't any other choices remotely in my price range, but there were no reviews and it was a relatively new company then. I'm sure you can find more reviews out there now...

Quote Originally Posted by bluebug32 View Post
    I have a Kona Jake the Snake that I use more for road riding than for dedicated CX. I have steel fork and really want to upgrade to carbon. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good middle of the road fork? I don't race, just looking to lighten up the bike and for a less bumpy ride.
    I'm using both the Ritchey WCS and the Reynolds (frame materials are steel and ti). Also running the yellow Swiss Stop brake pads. It was the change to these pads that took care of the shudder I had with the Ritchey. The pads work super in all conditions as well. An Alpha Q that I used was the most prone to it.

Make sure you get pretty close on the rake and the axle to crown measure on whatever fork you go with.

I have a Winwood "Muddy" on my steel Kelly cross bike, which I also use mostly on the road. I haven't had any other forks on this bike so have nothing to compare to, but I think the ride quality is excellent. In fact, the ride is much silkier than my Ti road bike with Ouzo Pro fork. I chose the Winwood mostly by price (because I am cheap) but I also think it's really nice looking.

Did someone say carbon 'cross forks?

I have a barely used Reynolds Ouzo Pro CX fork I would be most delighted to sell. Happy to send a pic, but frankly it looks....basically new. I keep thinking I will be doing a frame build for someone for whom it will work, but all my cx bikes lately have 26" wheels....

There are some very light scratches in the clear coat. The steerer (the part going through the head tube of your frame) is pretty long, so it would likely work on most any bike unless your bike is pretty large.

This lists for $450-$500....I am happy to sell it for $300 includes shipping anywhere in the U.S.

email me at margo at lunacycles dot com if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by lunacycles View Post
    Did someone say carbon 'cross forks?

I have a barely used Reynolds Ouzo Pro CX fork I would be most delighted to sell. Happy to send a pic, but frankly it looks....basically new. I keep thinking I will be doing a frame build for someone for whom it will work, but all my cx bikes lately have 26" wheels....

There are some very light scratches in the clear coat. The steerer (the part going through the head tube of your frame) is pretty long, so it would likely work on most any bike unless your bike is pretty large.

This lists for $450-$500....I am happy to sell it for $300 includes shipping anywhere in the U.S.

email me at margo at lunacycles dot com if you are interested.
    Not sure I can afford to spend that much right now, but thanks for the offer.