Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Jan. 8th rides

Jan. 8th rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Wind, rain and Kristin Armstrong defined my ride today.

Despite the heavy, gray clouds sulking about the area and threatening to rain at any moment, I decided to scoot out for a ride. Just a quick one, I reasoned with myself. Eight miles into it, I am scanning the power lines looking for birds (beats counting road kill! ). About this time, I have a handful of sparrows, two fat doves and a Kestrel. I am quite tickled to see the Kestrel and as I return my attention to the road, I notice a rider behind me. I figured it was one of the local guys I am always playing leapfrog with in the BiJou standings. Well, as the rider goes past me, I note a top end Cervelo, strong legs and Team USA kit. Just as the rider says, "Hello', I realize, Holy Olympians Batman! That's Kristin Armstrong! I managed to grunt out a 'Hey' before she completely passed me by. That just made my ride! Heh, I ride the same roads as an Olympic gold medalist. Cool.

Oh, yeah, did a bit over thirty miles. Hopefully the next time I chance to see Ms. Armstrong again, I will have the gumption to do more than grunt like a Neanderthal. I would love to talk to her.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

well, that's pretty cool! and i like your bird counting idea too.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Wow, Tater, that's fantastic and inspiring for you! I am always watching for birds too, when I'm outside. Today was an inside day, 20 miles on the trainer.

You sure that wasn't me? Oh wait, I have no USA kit, strong legs, or Cervello.

That's a very cool sighting!

Cool sighting!

No ride for me today but I did go ice skating this evening (which in TX is a bit unusual).

Loads of fun
    Debra
    Cure cancer. Ride a bike.
    www.livestrong.org

ran out of day light so huffed and puffed back home for measly 8 and 1/2 miles. It was just a moderate speed out and back. Too dangerous to be going 20MPH in the dusk/dark. Then I got on a trainer for just over 30 minutes. din din after the 30 min of twirrling.

There just isn't enought time in a day to do everything I want to do. grrr...

Oh my headlights are old so the batteries died long time ago. Been meaning to put together a new battery pack using NiMH instead of NiCad again no time. so just a tail light on my bike for tonight .

smilingcat

Just did some errands on the Birdy today.

This is how I carry groceries (short rides only).

Cool errand bike! You must get a lot of attention going down the street!

I got in a very windy 11 miles on one of my favorite roads just before dusk. My speed wasn't anything to write home about, but it felt good to be out there! And I love pedaling past a pasture full of cows who all stop munching long enough to watch me go by.......
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." (Will Rogers)

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Well, as the rider goes past me, I note a top end Cervelo, strong legs and Team USA kit. Just as the rider says, "Hello', I realize, Holy Olympians Batman! That's Kristin Armstrong! I managed to grunt out a 'Hey' before she completely passed me by. That just made my ride! Heh, I ride the same roads as an Olympic gold medalist. Cool.
    Tater, KA has become a beacon for me over the last few months. Turns out she suffers from pretty severe osteoarthritis. Heck, if she can become a gold medalist with OA, I can certainly keep doing what I'm doing. That is SO COOL that you saw her. When you two sit down for tea, tell her that her story has been very inspirational!

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    Tater, KA has become a beacon for me over the last few months. Turns out she suffers from pretty severe osteoarthritis. Heck, if she can become a gold medalist with OA, I can certainly keep doing what I'm doing. That is SO COOL that you saw her. When you two sit down for tea, tell her that her story has been very inspirational!
    Yellow, that is exactly why I want to talk to her! A thirty-five year old, local gal, overcoming some serious issues, goes on to do very well in her sport. I suppose I think of her a bit differently now having seen her and knowing her story. I'd like to know what drives her and what her future goal are.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

She's 35? Get out!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl