Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Any chance they are not colds and are instead either allergies or sinus infections?

Quote Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
    Emily - oh I wash my hands frequently, too. I hate dirty or dirty feeling hands, and as I'm at a computer all day, my hands always feel dirty. I have not had a real cold in about 10 years. I think that's why this season has amazed me. It cannot be as simple as a vitamin pill, can it? Well, that with a sound nutritional program and plenty of sleep?
    Hard to say -- I must admit I don't take vitamins nearly as often as I should, but I do eat healthy (very few meals out), exercise regularly, and try to get enough sleep. I lead a boring life, no late nights out, etc...it all helps. I used to get a lot more colds when I was younger and wilder. It is really hard to say in your case. I sure hope this is your last cold!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

A friend of mine had several illnesses in a short time -- he was really worried, and the doctor diagnosed "rotten luck." Seems like a good diagnosis, as this was years ago and my friend is healthy. Maybe it's just chance?

Hand washing is my favorite preventive. I do think stress or worry wreaks havoc on the immune system; my mother went through a two-year terminal illness and I got cold after cold plus upset stomachs.

Hope you are healthy soon!

Pam

I've been drinking four cups of green tea every morning - I make it all at once in a Pyrex measuring cup and pour it into a water bottle and drink it through lunch. I haven't been sick since August, knock noggin, and that was when I was traveling cross-country.

I work every morning at an elementary school, too. I use antibacterial lotion every now and then, maybe once a week if someone who is obviously sick touches me, but most of the time I just rely on handwashing and green tea.

Oh, and I'm eating an apple every other day or so at snack, too, with my daughter - easy to transport and she likes them.

I think it's the antioxidants in the green tea, though, that are boosting my immune system.

Roxy

This thread has just reminded me of a cold I had at the end of our last winter - people had named it the 100day cold/flu.

I got sick for about a week, started to get over it, then got sick again. The third time I got sick my work mates sent me to the doctor, convinced I was getting pneumonia or pluerisy. The doctor said she had lots of people coming in - same thing happening - they thought their immunity was low and they were getting lots of different bugs, when in fact it was the same one reinventing itself over and again!

I did as much work as possible from home, took suppressant drugs when I had to teach (so I didn't splutter over everyone), lost my voice for nearly 4 weeks in the middle of it and took 6-7 days sick leave.

Nasty nasty - hope this isn't what you are having in your winter

Thanks all! I just wanted to let y'all know that I did manage to avoid this one - the zinc, good food, vitamins, etc helped. I ended up going for a nice ride yesterday and it felt great!
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Cycle! It's Good for the Wattle; it's good for the can!

And then there's simple sleep... according to the story (and I'm a firm believer), not just when you're sick, but all the time.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    And then there's simple sleep... according to the story (and I'm a firm believer), not just when you're sick, but all the time.
    Yep, I came back here to post this article (but you beat me to it!) as my DH sent it to me last night. I am a HUGE believer in the power of restorative sleep. I do tend to get a fair amount of it compared to a lot of folks I work with. Generally 7 to 7.5 hours on work nights and 8 to 8.5 on weekends and as I mentioned above, almost never get a cold. Used to get a lot more when I was younger and went out a lot in the evenings. Something to consider for those who are getting more colds than they used to.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I am too fighting my 2nd cold/flu, the first one i got when i raced track cycling at the velodrome 100kms away and it was right next to a mountain that they were having troubles controlling a bush fire on, and had been for weeks and all the smoke had settled into the velodrome, i was unable to breathe between races and don't suffer from asthma or anything. then that lasted 5 weeks before i got over it, and then just got back into training for 2 weeks and then got sick again and this has been about 2 weeks but no where near as bad. the funny thing is the guys don't understand how i am riding so well being sick, coz i am still beating them, must frustrate them. but i have had a few days off bike again and hopefully i'll be all good.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I've had a cold for over 2 weeks. It feels like different colds: sore throat, no it's congestion no .... it's sinuses no .... it's a cough no .... back to the sore throat. The best part was losing my voice for about 3 days, I'm a customer service rep, my voice is my life.

Sleeping is working.
    Steam is helping.
    Chicken soup is helping.

Worst part is I was increasing my training, longer faster harder walks and then BOOM, this. I feel so weak like I've lost it all. I know that's not true but discouraging.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

On the bright side...just think of how tough your immune system is getting!

I thought it was pretty tough already normally I get maybe one tiny cold a season. I think this is multiple colds if that's possible.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I've already had 2 this year. The lady whose office is beside mine has a little one in day care. So far, I'm batting 1000. The little one gets a cold, she gets it, she comes to work - 2 days later I get it. Took out half of November and another week in December. I do use hand sanitizer, wash my hands, etc., etc., but I still don't seem to be able to avoid the germs. *sigh* Hopefully her kiddo stays well for a while.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Keeping my fingers crossed, but this MAY be the second cold I've been able to knock flat with black elderberry extract. It's been trying to catch me for two days now and despite EXTREME stress, the kind that would usually have me in bed with bronchitis, so far I'm holding it off. Touch wood. Last time I was willing to allow it might've been a fluke, right now I'm convinced black elderberry is THE stuff.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I had my first cold in over a year during Thanksgiving that ended up turning into a nasty sinus infection. I just started back running and swimming and the sneezing and runny nose began again last night. I'm feeling kinda run down this morning.......Please let it just be allergies! I don't want another cold--my training was just going good.

Trek, I understand what you are talking about. How frustrating! I hope you are feeling better.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme