Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Newb here looking for the right bike..

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello~

I hope it's okay to post some questions. Oh, and I'm really liking your forum!

I haven't been riding in about 12yrs now and when I did ride back then, I never knew all the bike options! I lost my bike back then in a divorce and so my fun became fast walking but recently I've stopped since we moved and now I'm adding on some weight.

We left Oahu (military fam) and are now stationed in Indiana. Talk about different scenery!
    Well, I've picked up indoor cycling and am hooked! I wanted to get back to riding outdoors when we lived in Hawaii, but for some reason I stuck with walking. I'll admit that our military budget and 3 kids kind of helped with my decision there.lol

I've got a soon to be 3yr old home with me and I'm now looking for a bike to get out there!

Of course I'm needing to bring my little guy along with me and I know I want a road bike. I just don't know if there is anything more specific regarding bikes that I should look for with pulling a trailer?

I've got a little bit of time to really search for myself since the weather is still too cold to bring my toddler out riding. Thing is, I also don't have a whole lot of money either. I'd say I'd like to not really go over 400.00 on a bike if possible and then focus on other things I'd be needing to go along with it. (like helmet, gloves, etc.)

Is there anything more specific I should be looking for?

TIA!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Hi and welcome to TE, great bunch of women here!

I myself can't help you specifically, but I'm sure others here will have some knowledgable suggestions for you....I just wanted to say hi and good for you wanting to start riding outside with your child in tow!

Also, this ais a favorite blog I like to read, written by a family that does a lot of kid-hauling on their bikes as part of their everyday lifestyle- you might find some useful info there or just enjoy reading their bike adventures:
    http://carfreedays.com/

Bike on.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You need to decide if you want a drop handlebar type bike (road/racing type) or more upright ride (hybrid). Go to your local bike shop and ride lots of bikes. Tell them that you intend to pull a trailer and what your budget is.

I honestly am not current on the different types of bikes. $400 isn't much, but you might run into some year end sales.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

BleeckerSt_Girl~ Hello! Thanks for the link and the welcome.
    I'm sure with a lot more reading and learning, I'll get things figured out.
    This place seems pretty cool for that so far!

Dogmama~ Thanks for your reply. Well, I do know I want a drop handlebar and I know you're right about me needing to hit the bike shop. There aren't too many close by me but I'm sure I'll find someone at one who will be able to help me out too. Hopefully I don't look too much like a fool when I walk in there.lol
    I know 400.00 isn't much for a bike.. I can probably go a bit higher with 500.00 being max. I wish I could afford something much more expensive of course, but being a military family living in a civilian world just doesn't give me a whole lot of extras.
    As long as I got a good fit and can get out there with my toddler in tow, I'll be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by remee View Post
    I do know I want a drop handlebar
    I'm guessing you know this from past experience?

I have two bikes in mind but the bars would have to be switched out.

Where would you be riding? Parks? Streets? Roads? Bike paths? These bike would be fine for any of them.

Allant, msrp $540.00
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...allant/allant/
    and
    The old stand-by FX 7.2, msrp $490.00
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...th/fx/72fxwsd/
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by remee View Post
    BleeckerSt_Girl~ Hopefully I don't look too much like a fool when I walk in there.lol
    )

Everybody was a newbie at one time.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

If you're little this bike might fit the bill:
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=27905

Hi again~

Zen~ Thanks for the links. As for wanting the drop handlebars, yeah I liked them from past experience. I had them when I was younger before beach cruisers were popular (then of course had to have one of those!lol)
    and then the last time I was riding, I'd borrow a friend's bike sometimes even though it didn't fit all that well and she had drop handlebars. I always liked them better than straight handlebars.

Ilima~ I am little!! Unfortunately I don't have all the cash right at this moment for really looking into it. I really like it too!! I just gotta wait til my taxes are done and am using that to help get me my bike. Dang the IRS for making us wait til Jan 15th for turning them in!lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    Everybody was a newbie at one time.
    I hope they remember that when they see me walking in through their doors..lol

Quote Originally Posted by ilima View Post
    If you're little this bike might fit the bill:
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=27905
    Would that be suited for trailer towing?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Okay, so with more "looking", my idea of finding a road bike for around 400.00 may have been a bit of an undershot..lol

Have you considered used bikes? Maybe checking Craigslist? Of course there are pros and cons, but I got a used bike because I wasn't sure I'd like biking enough to justify the expense of a new bike.

Good luck finding your bike! I've recently started riding after a couples decades lapse, and I'm having fun.

Pam

Hi Pam~ That's great you are back out there and having fun!

Yeah, I have been thinking about buying used as well.
    So far I've called 5 bike shops and only one sells a few used and he's currently got a Giant that he said may be small enough to try out. The rest sell only new and I think only one may have a bike to try out. Since I'm so short, I was told it isn't going to be all that easy.
    I looked at Craigslist and so far have found nothing for my area.

I'm not giving up and have a bit before the weather warms up, so I'll try and be patient.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Hey Remee,
    I just found this website about all the aspects of tots+bikes and I thought of you:
    http://totcycle.com/
    I bet there is a lot of good info there about riding around with your kid on your bike.....
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had the odd thought that if there are youth racing clubs for cyclists in your area, you might be able to get a used bike when someone outgrows it.

You might wish to ask for a measuring, to have a good idea of the basic frame size you need, then put out a want-ad on Craigslist. The right frame might come built as the wrong bike, but parts are replaceable.

I have had very good luck putting the word out.

My mechanic doesn't mind that I get my frames used and do basic repairs myself, because I respect him enough to do my other shopping with him.