Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Acid Reflux and PPI's

To disable ads, please log-in.

My SO and I and decided once I finish physical therapy we're going to wean off caffeine/chocolate/wine/etc, eat much smaller meals...and try to get off ppi's (acid reflux pills). I've been on the dang things for ten years and my SO has been on them for four...that just can't be doing anything good for our bodies in the long term. Also, knowing that the result will be stopping a medication will give me more incentive than the nebulous "you'll feel better" platitude.

Anyone else made the break??

I don't know...
    I think the cause (hiatal hernia) is worse than the cure.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

PPI have been linked to increased fracture risk when taken continuously for more than 7 years. http://www.medicalconsumers.org/page...pfractures.htm
    However, if your GERD is not controlled by diet and weight loss (if appropriate) you need to have a discussion with your doctor about the relative risk of esophageal cancer from not taking the drug vs. hip fracture from taking the drug. Isn't self-care management fun?

my DH is in the same boat. he's taking some heavy duty stuff and wishes he didn't have to. He heard about someone taking small amounts of VINEGAR and getting completely off the stuff!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by newfsmith View Post
    PPI have been linked to increased fracture risk when taken continuously for more than 7 years. http://www.medicalconsumers.org/page...pfractures.htm
    However, if your GERD is not controlled by diet and weight loss (if appropriate) you need to have a discussion with your doctor about the relative risk of esophageal cancer from not taking the drug vs. hip fracture from taking the drug.
    Thanks, I'd read that too, I'm planning on discussing it with my doc.

Quote Originally Posted by newfsmith View Post
    Isn't self-care management fun?
    So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    my DH is in the same boat. he's taking some heavy duty stuff and wishes he didn't have to. He heard about someone taking small amounts of VINEGAR and getting completely off the stuff!
    I'm planning on trying the apple cider twice a day trick after I get off coffee.

please let me know how that works. I wish he could still drink coffee, we both know that's part of the problem. he loves coffee, it has replaced other rituals like smoking and drinking ...and except for the stomach, there's no really bad side affects from it.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    please let me know how that works. I wish he could still drink coffee, we both know that's part of the problem. he loves coffee, it has replaced other rituals like smoking and drinking ...and except for the stomach, there's no really bad side affects from it.
    Will do, I LOVE good coffee (and wine) and will miss it terribly, but if I can't get off that drug it'll be worth it.

My poor husband has been on Prevacid for more than 10 years. He's dropped the weight and changed the diet and nothing has worked, except that.

I can't imagine taking an acid (vinegar) to prevent acid burn in the stomach!

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    My poor husband has been on Prevacid for more than 10 years. He's dropped the weight and changed the diet and nothing has worked, except that.

I can't imagine taking an acid (vinegar) to prevent acid burn in the stomach!

Karen
    In researching reflux I've found out a couple of things,
    one is that when you try to stop taking ppi's a "rebound" period happens, it's where your body produces a bunch of acid within the first couple of weeks after ditching the ppi's. Most people get right back on them during the rebound period.

The second thing was that using apple cider vinegar (heavily diluted in water) is supposed to help your stomach better regulate either it's acid content or production (not sure which since the site mostly said "hey, it works!").

Another thing I found was that the "cure" for reflux seems to be highly individualized, what works for one person won't work at all for another. For example, one of the most mentioned suggestions is to eat a sweet apple every day, lots of folks swear by this...for me eating an apple is like gargling acid so that "cure" is a bust for me.

Bottom line...when I was a kid I heard a few adults complain about heartburn, now everyone I know is on some sort of ppi, it's doesn't make sense that all of a sudden everyone has acid reflux problems. There has got to be a better way to function.

Here is an interesting link to a site of folk remedies and holistic treatments for common aliments, including GERD:

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/acid_reflux.html

Quote Originally Posted by bambu101 View Post
    Here is an interesting link to a site of folk remedies and holistic treatments for common aliments, including GERD:

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/acid_reflux.html
    Thanks! I'll look it over tonight.

Do you notice that it goes away when you are not stressed? I teach school, and I have had terrible GERD for the last 15yrs (my father died from esophageal cancer). The only thing that seems to work well for me is summer vacation. When I am not stressed, I have very little heartburn. Also, I have found that when I sleep half sitting up, like on the couch, I have very little heartburn.

One of the best drugs for GERD was taken off the market, because it interacted with several other drugs. Propulsid actually worked to strengthen the lower esophageal sphincter. That keeps the acid where it belongs, which is in your stomach, of course. If you can get a doctor to write you a prescription for it, you might want to try Motilium. Janssen makes Motilium, which is similar to Propulsid but without the drug interactions. It works by regulating gastric emptying. The only problem is that you would have to order it from a Canadian or Mexican pharmacy, because the FDA held up approval of the drug for so long that the patent was going to run out too soon for the drug company to turn a profit after launching the drug. I have taken Motilium, and I think it is a great drug. I always buy some when I am out of the country.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cogmarks View Post
    Do you notice that it goes away when you are not stressed? I teach school, and I have had terrible GERD for the last 15yrs (my father died from esophageal cancer). The only thing that seems to work well for me is summer vacation. When I am not stressed, I have very little heartburn. Also, I have found that when I sleep half sitting up, like on the couch, I have very little heartburn.

One of the best drugs for GERD was taken off the market, because it interacted with several other drugs. Propulsid actually worked to strengthen the lower esophageal sphincter. That keeps the acid where it belongs, which is in your stomach, of course. If you can get a doctor to write you a prescription for it, you might want to try Motilium. Janssen makes Motilium, which is similar to Propulsid but without the drug interactions. It works by regulating gastric emptying. The only problem is that you would have to order it from a Canadian or Mexican pharmacy, because the FDA held up approval of the drug for so long that the patent was going to run out too soon for the drug company to turn a profit after launching the drug. I have taken Motilium, and I think it is a great drug. I always buy some when I am out of the country.

Good luck.
    I started having reflux when I was working 70+ hour weeks and being on call 24/7 while working with mentally ill homeless adults, it used to go away when I was on vacation but now it's always there (even after I changed professions to something much more laid back). So I'm not sure if it's the "rebound" I kept reading about or what. I'm hoping the dietary changes and the addition of the cider vinegar will help.

Thanks for the info.

Raleighdon doesn't have to take his meds when we are on vacation, even while eating big late meals.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna