Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snow...

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Sorry, Lisa, I didn't see that you intended humor in the hand warmers on the roads statement, just like I don't see any humble discussion in "Meanwhile, I use lots of layers of wool and other insulation materials and do the best I can with that." I truly read it as superior martyrdom based on environmental concern rather than concern for someone's health and safety. I thought Sarabeth shared a product that helped her with this and you criticized it for environmental reasons. ....That's how I read your statement.
    Well, I don't want to argue about it, especially since it's concerning another thread, but since you are quoting me and interpreting my words, then just to clarify myself:
    I very clearly stated at the beginning of the post you are referring to (and yet again in my follow up post after that) that my intent was NOT to criticize other peoples' views or choices on the subject, but merely to express my own personal feelings about using chemical hand warmers. If you see my small personal choice of preferring to wear heavy wool socks and do the best I can with that while waiting for a more eco-friendly alternative product to become available as 'superior martyrdom' ( ) instead of 'humble discussion' ( )- well that is your interpretation. I did my best to make myself clear, as I said in that thread: "I'm not criticizing or judging others' views or valid reasons behind their decisions. I'm posting my own personal views on the subject as it pertains to my life." I was not telling anyone else what they should or shouldn't do, nor was I compromising anyone's health or safety. (!)
    If I post a thread about some product I like and use, and a bunch of people agree that they like it too and a couple of people say why they don't like it or use it themselves- well what's the big deal?

I would be happy to discuss this further with you if you like, but at this point I would invite you to PM me so we can avoid further hijacking this thread.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    In the City of Vancouver, there is no muncipal by-law which requires resident /owner of single-family and semi-detached homes, to shovel the sidewalk in front of their homes and the walkway for post carrier staff.

AFter living in Ontario for 4 decades, I find the lack of simple shovelling in Vancouver area pretty pathetic...and a physically able person can go out and shovel every few hrs. if there is a prolonged snowfall. Many residential areas in Toronto were abit more diligent on snowdigging/snowshoeing...or CHOPPING the sidewalk ice, with ice chopper. I did the latter quite often every winter as a teenager.

And the lack of snowshovelling and snowploughing got progressively worse, the further out one commutes from downtown centre out to the suburban areas...like I do everyday. It is highly noticeable thing that I observe from the commuter bus every early morning.

It is my final work wk. out in the 'burbs, but being forced to walk on the road where there are transport trucks due to large unshovelled banked snow, ..it is not worth my life when this happens.

I also wonder how many children regularily shovel snow nowadays? because there were 6 of us, my parents had us take turns. And no, we never got paid for household chores, not even for this. It's not a terrible thing for teenage children.... oh sorry, we have to tear them away from the tv, cellphone, etc. We have to ....give them...a ...chore. (gasp)
    Last edited by shootingstar; 01-07-2009 at 08:11 PM.

lol, I only realized there is a whole ton of other forums on this site! I've never seen so many!

As for the lack of snow clearing by-law in Vancouver (I need to confirm that), I need to stand up for us snow-ignorant Vancouverites.

It seems that folks who move from the East coast love to diss us for not having the pizazz to get around snow.

1: we don't get nearly as much snow.
    2: the snow we get is completely different from the East. It's wet, sticky, and oftentimes snow will melt, freeze overnight, and we get black ice.
    3: why pay $30 for a snow shovel/pusher that you might use 3 times a year?
    4: salt is expensive! and not to mention bad for the environment and the car.
    5: 90% of people don't have snow tires on the cars because it's just not worth it. For myself, I don't have the extra storage space to store 2 pairs of tires.

That being said, I'm so glad that the snow's gone away. I finally got back on my bike yesterday and I can feel my muscles complaining!

I was curious, so I called the Streets people and they did confirm that single family dwellings in Vancouver need not clear the sidewalks of snow/ice, though they are "encouraged" to do so.

HOWEVER, businesses, multi and single family dwellings in downtown must clear the sidewalk. That's in the bylaw.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I was curious, so I called the Streets people and they did confirm that single family dwellings in Vancouver need not clear the sidewalks of snow/ice, though they are "encouraged" to do so.

HOWEVER, businesses, multi and single family dwellings in downtown must clear the sidewalk. That's in the bylaw.
    Actually the single-family dwellers have to clean their sidewalks but only if they are downtown. (And if you live in a single-family dwelling downtown you most likely have the $$ to hire someone to do it for you!!). Elsewhere, nobody has to (and, based on my un-scientific counting on the Northwest side of things, about 50% do). As for commercial and multi-housing... I'd say about 60% of them sort of clean... I really wish there was a number to dial to automatically send a warning (and eventually a bill) to the places where they didn't. Gas stations in particular!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    Actually the single-family dwellers have to clean their sidewalks but only if they are downtown. (And if you live in a single-family dwelling downtown you most likely have the $$ to hire someone to do it for you!!). Elsewhere, nobody has to (and, based on my un-scientific counting on the Northwest side of things, about 50% do). As for commercial and multi-housing... I'd say about 60% of them sort of clean... I really wish there was a number to dial to automatically send a warning (and eventually a bill) to the places where they didn't. Gas stations in particular!!

I thought I said multi and single family dwellings in downtown need to clear the sidewalk?

And there actually is a phone number you can call to "report" dangerous side walks. I didn't bother getting the phone number, but they said it's on the website www.vancouver.ca. In June, Vancouver's getting a 311 system where you can call that number for anything and everything to do with Vancouver.

So, if you want to report your shoveling-delinquent neighbour, or report a dangerous pothole on a bike route (like the one I hit and came off my bike) all you have to do is call 311.