Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fujichants View Post
    You know what? This dry, red, flakiness started after I moved into my new apartment (which is carpeted). Before I lived in a place with hardwood floors, never had a problem. I started to vacuum every other day, and the itchiness has gone away, but the red dry patch is still there (and gets worse when i'm at work).

It's amazing how much dust accumulates, even though I vacuum every other day! Where does it come from? I feel like getting a carpet cleaner in here now.
    Not a good feeling to think that it's part of your home that might be causing the irritation

Which reminds me, I've got a bunch of area rugs that I should probably send out to have professionally cleaned. That'll be a new adventure.

Since you've already decided to see a dermatologist, I guess this isn't helpful advice, but more of an FYI. I had a similar problem around my nose and then under my eyebrows. It got REALLY bad. I went to a dermatologist and after trying a couple of creams that didn't work, he prescribed an oral antibiotic and a very mild steroid cream. He said that even though you usually don't want to use a steroid cream on your face, this one is mild enough to use short term on the face. After months of suffering, this almost completely cleared it up in a couple of weeks. I wish I had gone to the doctor sooner (I am so lazy about making doctor's appointments), glad to hear you're smarter than I am and getting it taken care of.

Grrr my appointment isn't until next week. But thanks for the advice ladies! Now I know what to expect when I go see my dermatologist.

So the past two nights I decided to turn off my humidifier because I felt it was prolonging my cold. Finally, a night where I didn't cough, and I feel so much better this morning.

But the humidifier has helped keep that red patch under my eyelid under control, and now it has spread to my eyelid and my eyelid looks all puffy, wrinkly, and red. It feels really uncomfortable (like I have a really heavy eyelid). I can't go to work looking like this! What on earth is this?? And why won't it go away, but instead just keeps on getting worse!

I just want to get to my dermatologist already. Stupid HMO insurance.

I have the exact same thing fujichants. I was also told that it is from allergies. I live in San Diego, and it seems that there is always something to be allergic to . Pollens, and molds. Nothing has worked for me except allergy shots for 5 yrs., got sick of that and quit. It has come back since I quit shots. Hope this helps. If you find anything that helps, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyicon View Post
    I have the exact same thing fujichants. I was also told that it is from allergies. I live in San Diego, and it seems that there is always something to be allergic to . Pollens, and molds. Nothing has worked for me except allergy shots for 5 yrs., got sick of that and quit. It has come back since I quit shots. Hope this helps. If you find anything that helps, let me know.
    I will! Do you use any creams/moisturizers on it? I just found out that my appointment with the dermatologist isn't until 2/17 I just find it weird that it suddenly appears now. I've never had this problem before and i've lived in So Cal since 2002! With a 5 months break for when I moved to Singapore.

You become allergic to things as you age. I was never allergic till I woke up one morning with the puffy eye thing .I used to be allergic to strawberries, but have since outgrown it ( love berries ).

Any ways, back to the eyes.....I used to get allergy shots but after 5 yrs. could not handle the committment. I now use Lidex (prescribed). i do not like the steroid thing either, but I was more desperate to have normal eyes . I also take Zyrtec every day. Let me know if you find anything natural that works. Use the steroid cream till you can get it under control.

After all the rains that we have had, and now the warmer weather, makes all those mold spores fly around.

I hope you find a cure, but you are not alone. Good luck, let me know what the Dr. says.

Silver Daughter has this. I hadn't replied before because we've never found a really god solution.

But she's sitting right here and I asked her what worked best. She says that Elidel is best. It's a non-steroid eczema creme.

But the solution is really more involved than that. She's done allergy shots, and all kinds of testing plus seeing an Eczema Expert in Louisville. Seems like the eyelid reaction happens when the allergies are really on overload. So she has done the shots, takes an antihistimine, avoids her allergens and treats the eyes. In other words, reduce your overall allergy exposure and the eyelid issue will get a little better.
    "Being retired from Biking...isn't that kinda like being retired from recess?" Stephen Colbert asked of Lance Armstrong

I had this issue when I first started running...I was essentially allergic to my own sweat. What solved the problem was ALWAYS wearing a hat or wicking headcovering (Headsweats are fabulous for this) and carrying a cotton hanky for wiping my brow to keep the sweat away from my eyes.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

carpet carpet carpet. You really can't clean them well enough.I read that everything you track in stays there. Like heavy metals, tire dust from cars... all that stuff. carpet cleaners don't really get it all out. Maybe you don't allow shoes in your house, but what about the previous occupants?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Not only that, but even if your carpet could be pristine, it still holds humidity, which breeds mold on EVERYTHING. When we replaced our downstairs carpet with beautiful cork flooring, making no other changes, the humidity dropped by 10%.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I also second the carpet removal recommendations (though in an apt. I'm sure this is not an option, unfortunately. We tore ours up in our entire downstairs and put in pine planks) and treating allergies systemically. I've had good luck with daily Zyrtec, though Claritin or Allegra would be good to try.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2