Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Terry Isis Pro

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been riding the Terry Isis Pro since the wild goose chase ride last year. It was an upgrade from my Trek 1000. I am very happy with the bike over all though sometimes I feel like the cockpit is too tight. They told me it's because I was used to being "stretched out" on the Trek - 1200miles later and I'm still not sure. I slid the saddle back and then just the other day pulled it forward again. With the 600 wheels it looks like a toy bike compared to everyone I pull up next too.

The ride is beautiful though and it shifts like buttah.. So all in all I'm pleased - just not sure I'd go the WSD route again. I think at 5'5 I'm right on the edge of whether WSD works for or against me.

Course 2008 circumstances had me off the bike more than previous years - 2009 looks to be shaping up to be much better suited to a happy, healthy riding habit. Perhaps a year from now I'll feel differently.

T.

PS: just realized this thread is about cyclecross bikes.... sorry to stray off topic

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
    Now, can we talk Margo into working in titanium....
    Mmmmmm....
    Custom ti cross bikes.
    Mmmmmm....
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I think I successfully hijacked the thread!!!

Just kidding.

By the way, the bike pictured in the link is designed to work with 26" CX wheels and (as pictured) the uber light 650c Helios wheels from Velocity. All that is required is a little brake shoe adjustment.

It is really cool to see other builders, and companies like Terry (I consider her/them like Surly, small production but no longer a custom builder) starting to make actual, true cx bikes (not modified mtb's) using 26" wheels. Hopefully there will be more and more decent (and cx race legal) tires in this size in the near future so we can all share the love.

Y'all say such nice things. Thanks...

About titanium: I always wanted to do this. I raced a Merlin for years and loved it. However, welding titanium is pretty nasty and I'd have to become intimate with acetone, which--given the other toxins I confront daily--I'd rather not. Plus, it is harder and harder to procure tubing, especially in the configs. that would work wonders for small/light riders...plus plus, I have found my steel frames rival titanium for weight (2.6-3.5 lbs for road frames) and ride as nice. It's all about the tubing and custom tuning it for the rider. Too bad I can't mimic the ti finish in steel, as that to me is one of its nicest features.

Enough self promotion. TE forum moderators: feel free to pull my posts for blatant self promotion

So all in all I'm pleased - just not sure I'd go the WSD route again. I think at 5'5 I'm right on the edge of whether WSD works for or against me.
    "WSD" is all about your body. If you are short in the torso and/or arms, WSD is generally a great option. But, of course, many many women are NOT short in the torso/arms, so WSD can feel too compact as far as reach goes. It is a bit of a myth that all women need a shorter reach. The fact is, as you alluded to, shorter women often need a shorter reach than what is available on stock bikes. With 700c wheels, the smaller the bike, the longer the reach tends to be, relatively, and this is due to geometry constraints required when using the 700c wheel size.

Try adding a slightly longer stem to your Terry...that might help.

Just to drift the thread further, taller women with short torsos often do just fine "reach wise" on the larger stock bikes, but what is often the persisting problem, fit-wise, is the front end of the bike is not high enough for a comfortable/efficient position.

It IS my business, but having done it a decade and a few years, I do think women are more challenged to get the fit right than most guys are, as generalizing as that might sound....

Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl View Post
    I don't think the problem is the small front wheel, its the tiny stem some models are spec'd with.
    As a former Terry owner, I agree. I also think the narrow Terry t-bar handlebars contribute to some front-end squirreliness. I have the same issue on my Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe (20" wheels and narrow bars) but don't mind it since I don't notice it unless I try to climb out of the saddle, which I never bother doing on the Friday with it's super-low touring gears. When I had a Terry (Isis), I was often frustrated by how hard it was to climb out of the saddle due to the twitchy front end. Switching to a 650c-wheeled road bike with slightly wider handlebars and longer stem made a big difference in my competence out of the saddle.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by lunacycles View Post
    Just to drift the thread further, taller women with short torsos often do just fine "reach wise" on the larger stock bikes, but what is often the persisting problem, fit-wise, is the front end of the bike is not high enough for a comfortable/efficient position.
    Amen! As someone who rides the equivalent of something like a 60cm WSD frame, I'll provide the woman-in-the-street confirmation. Just because I stand 6' doesn't mean that a stock frame works. I either have to ride a 54 or 56 and have handlebars down around my ankles or I ride a 58 or 60 with a very short stem and end up with a weight distribution that causes the front wheel to pop up on inclines as low as 10-12%.

Sure, some shorter women don't need WSD; but some of us still do despite not be of normal female height. Custom is an option for me, but it is nice to see production options for women.

My latest thoughts on small cross bikes. After seeing the price for the Valkyrie, I asked myself - how close is this price to custom? Of course, that is a slippery slope when you consider upgrades you can put on a custom bike. I e-mailed Margo last night, and looked at the Rodriquez website too. since I have an ultegra group I could use, that would make it more affordable. Also I don't understand - why would Terry put 170 cranks on a little bike? Anyway, as I'm going to be spending a bit more than I expected, I plan on giving myself through the summer to practice on my new mt bike, try a few more cross races...then consider buying one. The Luna bikes are pretty nice! Are there any TE'ers who ride a Luna 'cross bike? Tokie

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokie View Post
    The Luna bikes are pretty nice! Are there any TE'ers who ride a Luna 'cross bike? Tokie
    See post #14 of this thread.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[QUOTE=lunacycles;394201]I
    About titanium: I always wanted to do this. I raced a Merlin for years and loved it. However, welding titanium is pretty nasty and I'd have to become intimate with acetone, which--given the other toxins I confront daily--I'd rather not. Plus, it is harder and harder to procure tubing, especially in the configs. that would work wonders for small/light riders...plus plus, I have found my steel frames rival titanium for weight (2.6-3.5 lbs for road frames) and ride as nice. It's all about the tubing and custom tuning it for the rider. Too bad I can't mimic the ti finish in steel, as that to me is one of its nicest features.

QUOTE]

I had no idea! I don't blame you.
    Regardless, I love the bikes you've made for me and am actually thinking about adding an Una to the stable, possibly after I get an assignment w/in commuting distance of home (hopefully, later this year!).

Regardless, I love the bikes you've made for me and am actually thinking about adding an Una to the stable
    3rd Luna (actually, isn't this technically your 4th?) gets you 10 percent off the frame price! And I will even toss in some polished stainless track dropouts just for you! Woo hoo!

Someone stop me...

Quote Originally Posted by lunacycles View Post
    3rd Luna (actually, isn't this technically your 4th?) gets you 10 percent off the frame price! And I will even toss in some polished stainless track dropouts just for you! Woo hoo!

Someone stop me...
    You're bad but in a good way...

You're right. The Una will be the fourth frame (golden retrievers damaged the original Eclipse frame and you made me a new one).

Unfortunately, I won't be able to apply for a new assignment until August. Right now, there is no practical way for me to commute to work by bike due to distance & lack of safe accessibility.

I'll probably be in touch w/you later this year! Maybe I'll drop a hint to my husband, as I have a birthday coming up soon.

Margo, we are delighted to have you here, so don't worry if sometimes your comments appear to contain a little self-promotion. You are sharing your expertise with the community so I don't have any problem with it, and even welcome it. We get answers directly from the horses mouth so to speak. I can tell from your posts that you are someone I'd love to work with. If I didn't already have two bikes I love (and two kids I am putting through college), I'd order one in an instant from you.

I agree with Emily's comments on bar width. I changed both the stem and bar on both my titanium and steel isis (and a whole lot more) and they handle much better (perfectly actually). Actually, georgena lets you make some substitions if its stuff from a regular supplier of theirs (such as bar width and stem length) if you use the ship to shop option. The shop I worked with on my titanium isis just kept the parts that shipped with the bike and let me swap out whatever I wanted. Most good shops will do that if they are parts they can use on another build. My steel isis I bought as a frame only and built to my own specs.
    Last edited by Triskeliongirl; 01-11-2009 at 12:22 PM.

the valkyrie and fast woman are both pretty great bikes. I like the fork on the fast woman more for some reason. But I think 26" wheels are the way to go for me since I'm not much of a racer and I would appreciate the versatility of the different tire widths for the 26"

Someone made a good point though, at that price you could definitely go for a Luna custom! Wish I could!
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

Quote Originally Posted by Tokie View Post
    Also I don't understand - why would Terry put 170 cranks on a little bike?
    Depends on leg length, I suppose. I'm 5'4", ride a ~49 cm frame, and use 170 mm cranks 'cuz I'm all arms and legs. I wonder if Terry would let you swap 165s on there?

does sram do anything smaller than a 170?
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen