Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

New Years Day ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

With Colorado front range winds gusting into the 70s and 80s the past couple of days, I didn't even ride to work, despite the moderate temps. Today, the winds dropped to a more manageable 10-20 with gusts under 40. When a friend invited us for Gumbo, I headed over on the bike. With the wind mostly at my back or crossing, I made record time. DH drove, so I cheated and got a lift home and missed the headwind. All in all, a nice 20 miles to start the year.

I got on the trainer here in RI...1 hour/16.19 miles.

Beautiful sunny Southern California: Dry trails meant 17 miles on the mountain bike today with a beautiful view of snow tipped peaks and coastal fog.

A tandem ride for 20mi here. Cold, but not windy and the road was clear.

I rang the bell and "happy new year"ed at least a dozen horses and lots of geese; I love it when the horses look up and I always wonder why the geese are standing or sitting by the side of the road. We got several friendly honks a few rude ones, lots of waves from smokers banished to cold porches, and one shouted greeting out a passing car window.

Ride clothes for the two of us make a whole washer load; hanging up to dry they humidify the whole place.

I rode up Morrison Canyon Road for the first time today. It's only about 9 miles from my home so I had a nice warmup.

Good thing because that sucker is freakin' steep! It's about 2 miles or so of climbing but I could only manage ~ 1.5 miles before bailing out. What I did manage averaged out to a 9% grade with some sections kicking up well over 12%. booyah.

The descent was pretty dicey. While I'm a good descender for the most part, I took this one very cautiously, since the road is only a single lane for the most part without good sightlines. I hate it when I'm not rewarded for my efforts with a fun descent!

I wore my HRM today and my hr went up to 187 (which was interesting since I thought my max HR was 185).

But apart from the eye-popping climb and the dicey descent, it was a nice ride and I felt really good. Good start for my 50th year.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Just 24km on false flats here for me... it's too darn hot...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    ... wore my HRM today ...
    For a second, you had me thinking, "Her Royal Majesty."

I went for a little cruise with one of the guys I normally ride with, another guy I know, and we met up with some people from another group and went out to breakfast. Just an easy cruise for a little over 32 miles.

It was really a running day, plus my legs were still sore from Tuesday, but heck, it was New Year's, and besides I didn't want them to think I was wussing out because of the wind. So after the ride I chilled out at home until low tide and went for a short interval run.

We'll see how my legs feel for the regular ride today. But I think stronger <keeping fingers crossed>.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

The wind chill was 11 degrees, so I couldn't bear it. Ended up spending a couple hours with Coach Troy, then rowing 5K.

We rode Mt Diablo. There are pics in my Diablo thread. After my DNF on my 200K on Monday, I was feeling kind of down about my fitness level. But riding the mountain was good for my morale. There was a time where I could not just mosey on up Diablo. I was singing out loud (Live Like You Were Dying) on the Wall - 17% grade, that used to immediately drive my HR up to 190. I maxed at 178. So while I am not in shape to ride 134 miles, I guess I'm not too badly off.

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica; 01-02-2009 at 04:38 AM.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I got in 24 miles after the early morning rain. I am really liking the Race Blades I put on a few weeks back, as I didn't have the usual 'skunk stripe' after riding wet roads.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

It was beautiful in Texas but we spent the day catching up with old friends in town. We did take off 1/2 and all weekend have some spectacular riding planned. It is supposed to cooperate on weather.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

odd. sunny in so cal?? I must be living in the wrong part. It was clammy, foggy and bit chilly.
    Second time out after my back problem.

did the same route as yesterday. just over 18 miles with about 1200 feet of climb. Got a late start so I couldn't add a third set of climb.

Also had a pleasant conversation with a gal. I noticed she was in a kit (I didn't recognize the team) so I asked if she belonged to a club. Nope. ??? what about the kit I wondered?? She sort of knew what was going in my head so she said, "her friend belongs to a team and got her the kit". oh ... Anyway, I wanted a lazy day out so she went on her merry way.

Another lovely quiet day of riding.
    Smilingcat