Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

december 30th ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

Salsa suggested that I MUST see the Bellevue Art museum, so since we're not working this week, DH and I decided to go. After I took a luxurious bath, DH started making noises about not driving to the museum, but RIDING our bikes. As a lot of you know, it has been too cold and, well, snowy for me to even CONSIDER riding for over 3 weeks now. So I hemmed and hawed. And he fretted and stamped around the house like a dog who needs to be let outside. Ok, I finally gave in; I'll ride. I got dressed in several layers of wool and put on the new cast off booties that DH gave me (he got something he likes better, so i got the brand new ones he didn't like!) We got on our bikes, ooo, cold, (my bike lives in the garage) and we didn't get two blocks when i saw ICE, black ice on the road. DH says, you want to turn around and wait an hour?
    yes, i most definitely wanted to do that. So we went home, ah, warm house, computer, paints... I surrounded myself with these luxuries while watching the weather underground www.wunderground.com for the temperature to rise to 40 degrees. Ok, I'm ready now!
    so i put all my layers on and greased my girly bits with Chamois Butter (i'd forgotten the first time!) and we hit the road.
    Two blocks into the ride, I discovered that my nether parts were STICKING to my undergarments. The extreme cold of the saddle had rendered my chamois butter into something rather unpleasant! what's more, I had two pairs of gloves on and 3 layers of tights, knickers, etc, and could not adjust things at all.
    But we rode on, i figured i'd warm up and it would be all right. And it was.
    we made it to the museum in pretty good time

here i am posing in front of it.

we had hot chocolate in the extreme yuppie mall across the street from the museum before we hit the road, this is us and our chocolate which you cannot see.

DH forced me to ride through heavy snow still left everywhere, here's my bike stuck in it.

and always, like an old horse, I tend to speed up in the last 4 miles, even though, at this point I was standing a lot because it felt better than sitting.

All in all, a nice ride, 31 miles.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Today was my first ride in 3 weeks, which is my longest break all year. But, you know ... it was Christmas and all. But I'm getting back into the swing of things now. I did 22 miles today at a decent pace for my first time back. Man did I feel it in my legs, though! I felt the urge to stretch much.

It's kind of funny. It felt like it was my "first ride of the season", and then realized, it's technically my LAST ride of the year! I'm riding on New Year's Day, though, so that will be a good start to the New Year.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

Thanks for the pix, Biciclista - I have never ridden in anything THAT cold!!! Perhaps Chamois Butter should come witha temperature warning!

Good way to get back into riding Jiffer... and 2009 can only offer loads more opportunities.

I actually had 3 rides on December 30th.
    1. 38.5km on my training bike, just false flats and two hours of MP3 music early in the morning (I was all done by 8am and by then the temperature was about 30'C)
    2. Then in the evening I did some nearly 15km more (on the false flats again) but on my TT bike and only in the big chain ring while I waited to meet my partner returning from his 4 hour ride.
    3. Then number three - about 3.5 kms with my youngest, head lamps on and around the paddocks, night-riding on out mountain bikes. It was so much fun!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

eeek RoadRaven, how hot does it get at midday???
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

WINDY. I slogged it out for 36 miles but the wind convinced me to go home & do some cross training on the rowing machine. Thank goodness it was decently warm (46 degrees).

After our second snowiest December melted in about thirty-six hours, I was finally able to get out on the roads. Thank goodness! Two and a half weeks on the trainer had me squealing, 'Enough!'. But I got to take the Bridgestone out for errands and was quite happy.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

After my scheduled speedplay run, DH and I went out on the hybrids for about 14 miles of errands. I think it was mostly the run, but my legs were trashed for the road ride today.

Mimi, frozen chamois butter...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Cool pictures, Mimi! Must have been cold though, with the damp air over there in Seattle.

No riding here for the past MONTH, due to crummy weather. 3-5" of new snow due today, going down to 4F tonight and high winds. Sheesh! If DH and I didn't do 4 or 5 miles of fitness walking a couple times a week, we'd be going out of our MINDS.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Mimi, enjoyed your cycling story. I'll have to visit the art museum one day there.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    eeek RoadRaven, how hot does it get at midday???
    Um... in January... about 36'-38'C

But in February which is our hottest month, temps will often get over 40'C. We're on the east coast of the north island, so not much rain over summer and the prevailing wind in November and December is a westerly which sucks the moisture away and assists in the heating of the earth.

Its 8am at the moment, but only 24'C in this room. I'd say with no wind today, its going to be another stinker though! (Yesterdays wind made the day (and night) muggy but not too hot)