Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bicycle swap - Westminster, MD

To disable ads, please log-in.

The next bike swap thing is Sunday, February 8th, 2009 9:00 am—2:00 pm in Westminster.

http://www.stopswapandsave.com/index.html

Who has attended in previous years? Is it worth a 3-hour drive to check it out? I could go to visit one of my sisters in DC on Sat, and then go up to Westminster from there, before heading back to DE. So it's more like 7 hrs travel round trip that way. Any interest in meeting up over there?

I actually could bring a bike to sell unless someone on TE wants it. 2007 Trek 7300, 20" hybrid w/ flat bars. I bought this bike last winter and then never rode it. It has all of 97 miles on it and lives inside.

Martha

I do not need it.
    I do not need it.
    I do not need it.
    I do not need it.
    I do not need it.
    I do not need it.
    I do not need it.
    I do not need it.
    Here are some reviews-
    http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/la...8_5672crx.aspx

I've never been there and have surely spent enough on bike stuff but I might could be talked into it
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Zen
    Those reviews are all over the place, but appear to be for either an FX 7.3 or maybe the 7300 (no "FX" designation) which are two very different bikes.

I posted it separately, and with a photo in the for sale section. With a 20" frame I'd be pretty sure it's too big for you. It's probably too big for me but it felt much better than the 17.5" frame.
    Martha

I went a couple of years ago and thought it was just ok. There were a few cool framebuilders there, like Stephen Bilenky, and there were one or two booths with large assortments of cycling clothes at great prices. Otherwise, it was just what it's billed as: a swap meet. Lots and lots of very crowded, very jumbled booths of very used gear.

Regina's also been, but I don't remember what she thought of it.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Regina's also been, but I don't remember what she thought of it.
    Not much.
    Lots of trashy bikes and bike bits.
    A few jems (the Bilenkys and the Calfees).
    A few dealers/shops selling closeouts at good prices...if you need anything.
    Crappy food.
    I'd think a good bike like Martha's Trek should go pretty quickly. I don't know what the terms of the sale are...a WABA swap may be just as effective.

That said...I told DH about the date when I saw this. We'll probably go anyway.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I stopped in at a bike shop near my brother's in Falls Church last Sunday.

http://www.bikeclubva.com/

I've driven past it a few times and always seen a plethora of used bikes outside it, so figured I'd stop in and see what they had since I've been looking for some old/cheap parts for a commuter I'm building up. Very crowded, very fun bike shop - lots of parts old & new. I spent half an hour or so talking to the manager, they didn't have the size/type front derailleur I wanted - but I got lots of good advice and he showed up the bike he'd just built for himself.

Anyways, the manager said he'd gone to the Westminster bike swap last year and had gotten some great deals on some parts he'd been looking for, and that Velo Orange and a lot of places like that will be there with parts they want to clear out.

I unfortunately might be up in New Jersey this weekend, otherwise, I'd go looking for some parts I need.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    So????
    Who went?
    How was it?
    DH and I did not end up going. Much to nice out and we wanted to get out for a ride.....
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Same with me... much too nice out, the wind was blowing, so spent the morning playing with a kite, and the afternoon riding...

Biking up 15 against the wind is not pleasant.

You ride the 15 shoulder??!!
    Not me, sister.
    It's hairy enough just crossing it.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I didn't go either. I rode 30 miles this weekend but have a searing achilles tendonitis and it was probably not a good idea. More PT this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    You ride the 15 shoulder??!!
    Not me, sister.
    It's hairy enough just crossing it.
    I usually refuse to, but I was eager enough to get to the flatter areas on the other side of 15... We crossed over, and I think took Monacocy and found that it ended up on 26 by the Walmart & the Bike escape... I was not going to ride on that section of 26... So went back to 15 & headed up it a couple miles (?) to get to Biggs Ford Rd... Found the lime Kiln/quarry/nature reserve area, and Walkersville.

The shoulder on 15 is wide enough that it's not that bad, and it is a designated bike path - the teenagers in a little vw golf that decided to honk, swerve toward, and stretch their arms out the window while screaming weren't too amusing, however.

I did once wheel my bike 7 miles down 15 after it broke and I couldn't fix it, it was dark, and it was the quickest way home.