Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acai Berry??

Acai Berry??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay, a question for all of you nutritionists (or anyone else, for that matter)

And I'm not sure where to post this - here or in the Health section. But I'll start the thread here and depending on the response, I might move it over to the health section.

I was watching a rerun of Oprah and Dr. Oz mentioned the benefits of taking an Acai Berry supplement.

I respect Dr. Oz, but when I looked on the Internet, everything I read about Acai Berry sounded like SPAM, so now I am not so sure about trying it.

Has anyone tried it?

At the moment, the only suppements I take are a daily multivitamin, calcium, fish oil, and flaxseed oil. That's all. And I am not on any other medications.

Would adding acai berry be beneficial to my health?

And as long as I am asking - what would you recommend for a woman in her mid-fifties take for daily supplements? Do you think that I am taking too much, too little, or just the right amounts?

Thanks for any input.

Lynette

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    If there was anything beneficial for acia berry in terms on safe benefits like any other fruit eaten in small, reasonable amounts, you would have found more information by now...especially if it was common knowledge used for centuries (like aloe vera).

Your doctor, if s/he hasn't already, provided you with best supplements to suit your specific health needs.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Acai is very common in Brazil. When I was there I had acai smoothies almost every day. I can't say that it provided any knock-out benefits but the smoothies sure were tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by Over50Newbie View Post
    And as long as I am asking - what would you recommend for a woman in her mid-fifties take for daily supplements?
    No idea about the acai berry, but I'm also in my 50s (and a vegan) and I take the following supplements:

multivitamin
    vitamin B complex (to get enough B12)
    calcium
    iron
    lutein (macular degeneration runs in my family)

I'm going to check how much Vitamin D I'm taking, since I keep reading that most of us don't get enough.

I drink a supplement with green tea extract, acai and other fruit extracts every morning and take a bottle of it when I ride. The bioflavonoids can't hurt and it tastes good and is refreshing on long rides. It's also cut the desire for sugary drinks so I have not had a cola in about 6 months and don't miss it. Along with Hammergel, water and a banana I'm good for a long road or mtb ride.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Found a "free trail" on line and I guess this has been talked about on Rachel Ray and Oprah.
    Thing is...I just cut out wine for about 2 weeks and really watching what I eat and keeping up w/ my running/biking.
    But it is always so slow....anyone using this and finding it "helps"?
    I try and do the right thing...burn more calories than take in...but it is always a struggle and SLOW!

Oh--now I found the fine print...if I "like" it charges me almost $100!

Just curious anyway!
    Last edited by katluvr; 01-09-2009 at 08:58 AM.
    katluvr

You can find this juice in most any organic food store. It is very expensive.
    Just eat lots of blueberries and other colorful things, it's a whole lot cheaper
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I recently read about the acai berry too and got to looking around. Found v-8 fusion that has acai berri, blueberries and other stuffs in it. Probably not enough acai to make a difference but it tastes good and I haven't had a coke in a week.

So the acai cuts the desire for sugar/sweets?

I saw the "free" bottle (tablets) too, paid the shipping and got it yesterday and left for the weekend so I haven't started taking it yet, but this thread is apparently timely. I will check my "fine print" and make a decision before my time is up, but would be interested if there is anymore discussion on this.

Please, I beg you -save your money!
    Superfoods
    Acai berry
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

You suppose if Acai berry worked, Oprah would be using it (and, she wouldn't be back to 200 lbs)?

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Wouldn't it make more sense to eat fruits and veggies in their natural state (although maybe frozen) grown HERE, than some pill or extract thingy grown way over there? I mean if you lived in Brazil, like Tulip did, then having an acai berry smoothy made sense, having a blueberry one probably didn't.

So, I'll wander off to the kitchen to put some blueberries on my yogurt for a mid morning snack and get writing on my dang club annual report. And brew another pot-o-coffee....

OK, one other idle thought. Back in college, my swim coach said there's only one exercise to guarantee weight loss - the push-away. "Push yourself away from the table." I think we 'A-mur-i-Kans are a lazy bunch. We want to take some pill for weight loss, instead of being responsible for what we eat and drink, and not get enough exercise. Or rather we still eat like we have to go plow the back 40 with a mule, but we're 3 generations removed from farming stock.
    Last edited by bmccasland; 01-10-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: just HAD to get on the soap box
    Beth

Didnt mean to imply that drinking the v8 cut my desire for sweets. Been a cokeaholic all my life. Just been trying to find something I can sip on all day at work instead of coke. Not many drinks I like the taste of.

The supplement I take is a small dropper bottle that I can add to water or any other drink. Runs me about $25~$30 a month. I also take another supplement that has Amla fruit concentrate, Guarana seed extract (supplies 150 mg caffeine), Green tea leaf extract, Raspberry fruit puree, Cranberry fruit concentrate, Grape skin extract, Grape seed extract, Wild blueberry extract, Raspberry seed extract, Tart cherry, Wild bilberry, Strawberry, Prune and Stevia leaf extract 60 mg. Also about 30 bucks a month. I mix the two together and have it every morning, and use it on my bike rides too. Best part is that it tastes good and is low in refined sugar. While I own stock in Coke (KO), I don't buy or drink the stuff . It's a great wake-up in the morning, and refreshing on long rides. And no, it's not from one of those 'try it free' places that then charges crazy prices, it is from a company that I am an independent consultant for (mainly to get the discount for my use) that is legit and offers health and beauty products but I will not provide the name here because I am not here to hawk it; I use it.

Of course, I take a lot of other vitamins/minerals, but I think the most easily digested ones are going to be in powder or liquid form, not in hard little pills that are put together with L@&d knows what to keep it from breaking apart in shipping. I wonder sometimes if we can actually extract what is put together like that.
    Last edited by tzvia; 01-11-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I love a nice heated discussion, don't you?

As I was reading Zen's post about Superfoods, I was pleased to see that I include every single one of them in my diet right now.

So, no acai berry supplement for me at this time.

Thanks for all of your input.

Lynette