Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Aggie: So sorry about your little girl. Nine isn't very old for a Schnauzer, but it sounds like she's had a rough life prior to you rescuing her. I really hope it all comes out ok. Be sure to ask about Leptospirosis... don't know if you have it there, but we are seeing more up this way. It is a bacteria that can infect liver and kidneys. Likely they are using some sort of penicillin on her anyway, which is the treatment for Lepto. Just a thought.

I wish you the best... We'll all be rooting for her.
    Jes
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

Thanks for the all the cyber hugs and puppy kisses. The vet we use has really awesome policies of calling daily 2x a day for status updates and said we can drop by today when the Vet Tech comes in for the nightly check up (don't know if we can though).

Maggie is doing a bit better, she wants to eat but hasn't held it down yet. They are still trying though. She is a pretty mellow dog so the tech admitted she is having a bit a trouble reading her but she seems to have perked up a bit. With her being blind she at first had no interest in the yard, now she is starting to wander around a bit. I am trying not to be too optimistic but as DH said "What else can we be?" We gambled quite a bit of money hoping to save our little one so optimism is all he has. I hope tomorrow it has paid off.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

That sounds like she's perking up a bit -- great news! Crossing my fingers (and Mac has her toes crossed for you).
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

Aggie, that all sounds so very promising.................am sending a few more cyber hugs.

Maggie sounds like a real feisty little dog.

Massive hugs

Clock

Best wishes to you and your Maggie.

Oh I hope I am not overly optimistic but our little bear looked so much better when we went by. She was so excited to hear us her little body was all wiggly and tail wagging. The fluids seem to be helping but I am waiting for my trusted vet to get in tomorrow and look at her. I hope her blood levels are down and she comes home tomorrow, we all miss her! The black one is her, the white one her best buddy Heidi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thegirls.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	8308  
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 12-28-2008 at 08:05 PM.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

No no no!

The vet just called and while her blood values have dropped it is not significant and not what they were hoping. She cannot come home tonight and they just can't say if any more treatment will help. It could but neither of the vets in this morning are too optimistic about it. They think she could get well enough to go home and then crash. Of course the vet will never tell you what you should do if one would just say she had a good life but we need to put her to sleep I would but they say "We can try...." UGH!!!!!! I am so upset I just want to go to bed but no, I am working.
    Amanda

I am crying as I read these posts. I am so so sorry!! This is the worst thing we, as humans, go through.

I'm praying for a miracle and also praying for your comfort during this time.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

(((((((((Amanda & Maggie)))))))))

There is the unfortunate point when there's no fight left. Rereading these posts, it seems that Maggie didn't even start life with good genetics, and you at least gave her the gift of a lovely home. Is she comfortable? Can she eat, drink, pee & poop? Does she have something that resembles a quality of life?

I write these questions and think about my own old dog, and how rotten I felt when I saw her legs collapse under her yesterday when she went to get out of the car after a ride to the park. Planning for the end is never easy.
    Beth

I'm sorry to hear your little baby isn't improving much, poor little puddin.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    hugs (((sweet Maggie)))

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that!!! More prayers, cyberhugs and doggy love from Jimmy to Maggie!!!
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Cycle! It's Good for the Wattle; it's good for the can!

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Oh Aggie, I hate to hear this.

When my Jodi Bell got to where she rarely ate, drank, and played, I knew it was time to let her go. It doesn't get easier, but I do have a sense of relief when they take their last breath and their suffering has come to an end. Sometimes just making the decision to let them go is the hardest. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Amanda,
    My heart and thoughts are with you. I am way overdue for a trip to my vet w/ my older girl kitty...she is not dropping weight fast, but has lost weight over the past few months. I think I just don't want to hear anything and I HAD to get thru the holidays.
    These 4 legged creatures are our children...the are so wonderfully loving and giving. I am sending you good thoughts. And what ever time this buys you w/ your lovely Maggie, I know it will be good.
    I've had some amazing aniamals beat the odds...I hope this is true for Maggie.
    Keep us updated! Take care. (I have 6 critters...so I'm make sure they send critter prayers!)

K
    katluvr

Well the good thing about being Aggies is we have a friend that is a DVM. He isn't local but he told my husband he had time to discuss Maggie tonight. The DVM was my husband's roommate and a groomsman in our wedding. He will shoot us straight but also has the education to understand what the vet is saying. My husband and I both just wish the vets said "the best thing at this point is to put her to sleep". Maybe they do and she isn't quite to that point. We have an appointment this evening to discuss her current condition with the vet since it is hard to relay it to my husband when the vet calls.

Before she got sick she was eating and pottying. She doesn't play since she is blind but until the past week or so she would come and ask for attenion. It is so hard because even as bad as she feels she is happy to hear our voices. Of course when they take her off that IV how good will she feel? That is where the vets are pessimistic, what will happen when she is off the pump and fluids.
    Amanda