Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    She does sound pretty neat. Wonder how long he'll stay with her....

I'm not even really qualified to make this remark, as I have only read his first book and not followed life events closely since, but my vote is: "not for the duration".

Besides the driving to the sperm bank part in book #1 that has been posted about, I found a couple things striking in the read (relative to fatherhood)...

He says something like "all professional athletes are running from something... I never had a father, nor did I ever want/need one....".

DING THE BELL... wrong answer, Lance. Running from the lie in statement paraphared #2. There are no bigger lies in life than the ones we tell to ourselves.

So, my question would be to him... "Lance, when are you going to break the cycle buddy? No, I don't mean the term related to the sport either. I mean overcome your greatest fear and hurt in life (way beyound cancer) that you didn't have a dad, the pain it caused your mother, etc... you're so strong in so many other ways... are you afraid it ALL will fall apart if you do it (face it)... come on Lance, stick it out... be the father you never had and husband that should have been... DON'T BAIL!!!"

This psychotherapy session provided by laymens free of charge, Merry Xmas.

Uh, lots of divorced dads are very good fathers. I'm not a Lance fan but I have never heard that he was a bad dad.

Quote Originally Posted by xeney View Post
    Uh, lots of divorced dads are very good fathers. I'm not a Lance fan but I have never heard that he was a bad dad.
    Serial relationships and not hanging in there when the going gets tough sets a lousy example for your kids if nothing else.

Question: Does Lance split w/ them or do they split w/ him?

Lance is attracted to and has serious relationships w/ strong women (part time bimbo's excluded) Kit, Sheryl Crow and now it sounds like Anna are strong intelligent women w/ lives of their own.

I admire Lance but I don't think I would like him. He has a HUGE ego, he is driven, a perfectionist, and expects those around him to be the same,(other than the ego - don't dare up ego him) But then how else do you win that many tours?
    How many women want to stay w/ a professional cyclist during their training and racing seasons? They become one of the domestiques but see their husbands/BF's less than the team does and they are at home holding everything together.

The latest book on Lance that I read (can't remember the name - it was written by a reporter who lived around them during the training for one of Lance's tours) stated that just about all the great cyclists throughout time are dealing w/ black issues from their past - Lance is no different.

What I think would be hard is for another woman to have to put up w/ Lance's mom and their relationship ! How many times has she been married? ? ? ?

I wish Anna and Lance the best of luck and that they, the baby, Lance's other children can all find a balance - especially while he is training for and competing in another TDF.

I wouldn't want that life.

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Does any of that matter? We all have baggage, every single one of us. I mean, so what if you are a tour winner, or anything else? My personal belief, which to some people sounds like a fairy tale but it isn't, is that once you bring kids into the world, that an intact family should be the#1 priority. It doesn't matter how big your ego is, or how damaged you are, or what else you have to do in life.

I just don't buy the "oh black issues" stuff. It's excuses. You want to hear about my issues?

It reminds me of a party I was at once. A girl was stumbling, barfing drunk and people are like oh, poor thing - her parents are divorced, she had to give up a baby blah blah blah..... Me? My comment was, so what. ( you want to hear about my life?) Lots of people have really big problems, and manage to get help, or learn to make other choices. No one is forcing these people to listen to their demons. Ok, so so I am digressing a bit, but egos, demons, black baggage... it's all the same the big question to me : are you man enough to sack up and deal with it? Put some balance in your life? Fix the problems? Unload your baggage?

Oops, sorry for the rant on Xmas morning.

There is no such thing as comparative pain, each person experiences theirs at their own pace. For those who got past theirs then I offer you heartfelt congratulations. For those still suffering I offer my condolences.
    Last edited by Pax; 12-25-2008 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Does any of that matter? We all have baggage, every single one of us. I mean, so what if you are a tour winner, or anything else? My personal belief, which to some people sounds like a fairy tale but it isn't, is that once you bring kids into the world, that an intact family should be the#1 priority. It doesn't matter how big your ego is, or how damaged you are, or what else you have to do in life.

I just don't buy the "oh black issues" stuff. It's excuses. You want to hear about my issues?

Oops, sorry for the rant on Xmas morning.

I wasn't trying to make excuses for him - I was just making an observation based on everything I had read about him to back up my statement of who is leaving who. I believe it is the women leaving Lance - not the other way around.

Also I just found it interesting about the statement that all the great cyclists had demons in their background, again not making excuses, just an observation, with a question of "is this why they have that extra edge that makes them a winner?" (now please don't get off on a doping rant - that is not what this is refering to)

In conclusion: I agree, in a perfect world all children would have parents who love, cherish them and each other and act as excellent role models at all times, putting the needs of the children first . . . but alas this world is not perfect.

But by the grace of God, we have Christmas.

Merry Christmas all

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm perfect. No, just get AWAY from that closet door. NO, do not go near the closet door!! Those are not bones rattling, you don't hear a thing. Trust me on this...

I think my closet is the size of the wardrobe in the Chronicles of Narnia.
    Beth

I don't know what to think. I admire Lance and from what I've read, he is a good dad to his other kids.
    I've been around enough racers, both amateur and pro to know that it is not a life I would want. My exchange student, who has been a pro for the last 3 years is sick of it. He can't find a team because they are all folding and he is enjoying being "normal" for a change. Both he and my son were totally driven about riding, but eventually, it got to them. So, I say live and let live.

The saving grace is that this child will never want for anything. Being born into the Armstrong dynasty, he will be set. The best nanny, the best schools and if he/she is born with his genes might be a great athlete. We all have something that drives us, demons from the past or in my case fear of cellulite. I agree with Irulan, everyone has issues, its how you deal with them that counts. I think he will be a great dad, when time permits and when the tour is over, his kids will be a priority. His ego is so big he will never find a women that suits him but maybe he will settle down.

My first thought (o.k., it's a little evil) was that he's getting what he deserves and maybe God is punishing him. I mean, this guy's middle-aged, has three children that count on him and look up to him, and he's the leader of a cancer foundation and supposed to be setting a "he's one of us" example. Now he's knocked up girlfriend # ??? since divorcing Kristin - ? If a non-cancer-survivor had just done something like this, we'd be calling him a jerk (it wouldn't be a "miracle").

On the other hand, I feel really sorry for the baby. Adults can do what they want, but don't mess with the kids. They have to count on us, and this baby probably has to look forward to growing up with a single mom/visiting dad or otherwise being tossed around between parents. The baby might "need a dad" more than Lance claims he didn't.

Do you think Lance's mom is chewing him out right about now? That's another part of his history - he grew up with a single mom. She might have a lot to say to him.

Deb
    Last edited by Deborajen; 12-26-2008 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborajen View Post
    My first thought (o.k., it's a little evil) was that he's getting what he deserves and maybe God is punishing him. I mean, this guy's middle-aged, has three children that count on him and look up to him, and he's the leader of a cancer foundation and supposed to be setting a "he's one of us" example. Now he's knocked up girlfriend # ??? since divorcing Kristin - ? If a non-cancer-survivor had just done something like this, we'd be calling him a jerk (it wouldn't be a "miracle").

On the other hand, I feel really sorry for the baby. Adults can do what they want, but don't mess with the kids. They have to count on us, and this baby probably has to look forward to growing up with a single mom/visiting dad or otherwise being tossed around between parents. The baby might "need a dad" more than Lance claims he didn't.

Do you think Lance's mom is chewing him out right about now? That's another part of his history - he grew up with a single mom. She might have a lot to say to him.

Deb

Thanks Deb, that's what I was trying to say but you are more eloquent than I. Who knows, maybe his mom supports it. In the end it's none of our business, just more fodder for the celebrity mill....

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    +1 for Deborajen and Irulan.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborajen View Post
    On the other hand, I feel really sorry for the baby. Adults can do what they want, but don't mess with the kids. They have to count on us...
    Well said Debora. We must be the advocates for children and infants have the least "power" of us all.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Jesus. This kid is not even born yet and you guys already have it neglected and abandoned. I did not realize there was this level of judgmentalism on this board -- I am really disappointed and a little bit disgusted.