Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sore elbows?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by DebTX View Post
    Following this advice, i went into the LBS today and had them level my seat. I know when I bought the bike we pointed it down a bit and I've been using a lot of energy to keep pushing my sit bones back up onto the saddle. I also suffered occasional elbow pain, as does DH (which when we mentioned to the LBS store, they said they'd never heard of before).

It's my first "bike adjustment" since my original fitting when I bought it. Feels like an event to be celebrated or something.

You will have to let us know if it works for you - it made a big difference for me!

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    I do like to go down into my drops but not when my back is sore. So a bit of a revelation.

Isn't it interesting how different we all are... I prefer to be in the drops when my back is sore!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven View Post
    Isn't it interesting how different we all are... I prefer to be in the drops when my back is sore!
    Yeah me too. We are indeed all different!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, Bleecker... and i like my TT bike as stretching out on the aeros feels good too

I am not fit... yet. I have lost 65 lbs over the past 18 months and have another 40 to lose. My core could use a lot of work.

When I bought the bike it was fitted to me.

I would say that when my lower back bothers me I go upright and that is when I lock my elbows. That just occurred to me when I thought about why I stay up. I do like to go down into my drops but not when my back is sore. So a bit of a revelation. My back didn't bother me at the start of the summer and my elbows did not either.

As I lose over the winter I am hoping that this will help my lower back. I suppose I could do the exercises that I saw my athletic father do every night for his back.
    If you are having low back pain it is often a sign you are reaching too far. It may be a fitness thing, it may be anatomical. Sometimes increased fitness helps, sometimes it doesn't. If you didn't get a professional fit, i.e., if a salesperson set you up on the bike but you didn't have body measurements taken plus a "fit session," then the bike still may not fit ideally for you, as it is and as you are. From what you are telling me, it might really benefit you to try a shorter stem. This is just a hunch, but I do a lot of online fit troubleshooting with my work. A shorter stem is maybe a $30 investment, and it will instantly reduce your reach. You may at the same time get a stem with a bit more rise. The goal, in my mind, is that you are comfortable on the bike without locking your elbows. Stems are easy to swap out, so you can experiment without spending a lot of dough.

Often as you get more fit on the bike and/or strengthen your core, your back gets more used to the position and you will want to stretch out your position more (and return to using a longer stem). But it shouldn't be forced into initially. IMO There is no way to be efficient on the bike if you aren't comfortable. Your position doesn't sound comfortable yet to me.

I guess I thought I had a fit but did not. The person at the store had me get on the bike and then watched me ride it but we didn't measure anything.

Thanks for the tip about the stem. Will do that.

It's been awhile, how are you doing?

I would try adjusting your hand position which will automatically adjust your elbow bend. Riding with your hands vertical, thumbs up will cause your elbows to bend & might take some pressure off of those tendons & ligaments.

Also, Tulip had great advice about core strengthening.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

It's March and we just got a bunch of snow and it's 10 degrees but spring is just around the corner, I know it!!

I haven't been on my bike in ages so I will print this thread and try all of the suggestions as soon as I can see the pavement!

Thanks again!