Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

You cant spin on platform pedals - it just isnt possible - you can sort of do it with toe cages, but that would be hard, until you get clipless spinning is a hard concept to conceive - try out the one legged method on a friends bike or at the LBS on something clipless and see if you can sort of get a feel for it! Once you see how different it is, you will never mash the pedals again unless you are standing on them!

Spinning is:

the easiest way to explain it is: spinning is pedalling with little resistance. If you feel resistance or even seem to be "pushing" against the pedals as you turn them - you're mashing your pedals. Think of the kids on the Big Wheels turning their feet reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal fast - thats spinning.
    The hardest thing for new people to understand (or even this old person!) is that you Can go Fast while spinning without pushing so hard against the gears. If visuals help, think of Lance when he rides, ever notice how fast he turns his legs without seeming to work so hard? That's spinning.
    I found the best way for me to learn aside from the "one-legged spin" was to drop to a very low gear and pedal until I was bouncing on the saddle, then to up the gears 1 gear at a time while maintaining that fast spin until I wasn't bouncing anymore. (make sense?) You'll notice you'll be riding about the same speed or faster without tiring out your legs.
    I've also noticed I coast a lot less when I'm spinning (unless I'm at the end of a century! ) coz I just don't need to "rest" my legs by coasting.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

What is spinning:

Essentially, spinning is turning your legs rapidly in lower gears (larger rings in the back, smaller in front), rather than using higher gears (smaller rings in back) and "pumping" (mashing) or straining against the pedals. Think of using your gears like driving a car with a stick shift. The engine (your legs) keep a fairly constant "spin", like pistons in a car, while you use the gears to adjust to the grade and speed. That way, your legs are not overworked - you just keep your legs going the same speed. Spinning means using a rapid cadence. Find a gear where your legs are turning rapidly without straining, and then pedal as fast as you can without bouncing in the saddle. When you start to bounce, shift into a higher gear (smaller sprocket in the back). Think of your body as a machine. keep steady in the saddle; don't rock your body or the bike back and forth, concentrate on traveling in a straight line with your legs acting like rapid pistons, moving up and down, with no strain, like a machine.

I hope this helps.

Nina

Thanks, everyone, for the explanations. It makes sense to me now. So when I'm ready to go clipless I'll know what I'm aiming for. It's a beautiful day in southern Indiana and I hope to get out for a ride in the hills (just the little ones for now ) after work today.