Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Question Crock Pot question

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey there.
    If a hot dip recipe says "bake in a 350 oven for 15 minutes" - can you make that same recipe in a crockpot (heating, say, for a couple of hours), or should you heat in the oven and then transfer to a crockpot on warm to keep it warm? I'm pondering a hot crab dip for Christmas Eve, but all the recipes call for heating in an oven. We're taking appetizers to my mom - who is in a group rehab home - and I want some way to ensure it stays warm.
    Thanks!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Why not use a recipe that's specifically for a crock pot?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    7Rider, you can convert some recipes to crock pot cooking but keep in mind that the consistency of the dip may change. Also, you will not have a browned, crusty top. On the plus side, your dip will always be warm.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Why not use a recipe that's specifically for a crock pot?
    Cuz when I did a search on "Crock Pot crab dip" I didn't find anything I liked (I like simple), or that actually used a crock pot.
    But thanks for the link...because your search turned up some different results vs. mine.

Yeah, Sundial....I'm debating losing that crusty top thing, too. Hmmm...come to think of it...I may have a warming tray in the basement......
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I was kinda thinking that too. I have a picture in my head of something covered with a cheddar cheese crust....

How far do you have to transport this culinary temptation?
    Now I'm thinking just bundle it up and carry it in a cooler.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I wouldn't try the same recipe in a crock pot and expect it to come out right. The consistency will be likely disappointing.

Also, nothing will really 'cook' with 2 hours in a crock pot. Crock pots work best over longer time periods.

I've had luck in making hot dishes then wrapping them in tin foil and then a couple of thick towels top and bottom...and into a shopping bag. Keeps them warm for several hours. They also now sell insulated shopping bags and zip-over covers that keep casseroles hot or cold- check your supermarket- mine sells them both large and small. Obviously other large stores may carry them too.

But you've inspired me- I'm going into the kitchen right now to start some veggie soup in my crockpot so it'll be ready tonight!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I put the fresh cooked items (hot pan) into a large roasting pan with lid then put the pan in a cooler and fill all the dead space with towels. This will keep a turkey piping hot also moist and delicious for at least 5 hours.