Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Ride suggestions for Cocoa Beach, FL area??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all,

I live in NJ and I'm going to visit my parents who live about 15 min west of Cocoa Beach, FL. Does anybody know of any routes around that are or have any suggestions for resources? I rode last year but two routes day in and day out get kinda boring!

Looking for anything from 30-50 miles.

Thanks.

have you looked on bikely?
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

don't know anything about them, but here's the Space Coast Freewheelers site.

If it's anything like our area a little bit north of you though, I wouldn't be real optimistic. We have ONE route. When the wind's out of the north we go north first... when the wind's out of the south we go south first... and that's our variety. Once in a while a few of us will drive 45 minutes at some unspeakable hour in the morning to ride the Ormond Beach Loop.

At least you have Merritt Island. But if you want to drive 45 minutes at some unspeakable hour in the morning to join our group , fly me a PM.

Pretty much anywhere that you can get out of the congested areas, US 1 is boring as sin but safe - wide, clean shoulders, four lanes but not a ton of traffic. But there just isn't much development (i.e. paved roads) inland. Which is a good thing generally, but not so good for cycling.

EDIT: If you click on the "Rides" tab on the Space Coast Freewheelers site, each ride has a link to a cue sheet, so you could do the routes even if you don't want to join the group.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 12-16-2008 at 02:04 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm also going to be down in Cocoa Beach for a few days over the holidays. We'll be there from New Year's Eve and then leaving Sun. the 4th.

It's a "girl's-get-away" with my sister, 2 cousins, and an aunt. I was hoping to be able to break away from the group for a few hours and get a ride in. I don't think any of them will give me a hard time for that. We all take part in a family exercise-healthy eating group so cycling instead of shopping should be encouraged anyhow, right?

Matt's Bicycle Center is just down the road from the condo that we rented .... I may just have to see if they do daily rentals. Thanks for the link to the Freewheelers. Maybe I could do their Sat. morning ride. If any other TE'ers are around the area during that time I would love to get together for a ride.

Thank you all for your help. I actually didn't go too far from my starting point in order to get my training intervals in. I found a great ~13-14 minute loop that I did a few times depending on the length of my ride then another 30 or so minutes back to the house. It was INSANELY windy while I was there so I also didn't want to venture towards the river/ocean because I was blown all over and wanted to stay somewhat protected!

Even with the wind I'm sure it felt good to be able to ride in the sunshine instead of the Jersey cold.

I never did ride while I was down there, but I did stop in and visit Matt's Bicycle Center. He was a super nice guy and was happy to show off all his custom creations. We even got to meet the mayor of Cocoa Beach there. He had just had a little crash on his recumbent and needed a few repairs done.