Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Making Myself Side-Reflective

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thursday night I almost got hit by a left-turner who didn't see me as I passed in front of him, in spite of my 2-watt front light and blindingly bright rear blinky light (my down low glow has passed on; it couldn't handle the 8-degree weather, I guess). This near-miss made me realize I have nothing marking me from the side in the dark. My solution:

3M Scotch Reflective Tape, applied in inch-long sections, to the rim of the front wheel. I'm so pleased with how bright this is! Unfortunately, the front wheel used up the entire roll I bought, and the hardware store won't get more until Tuesday. This only worked because I have disc brakes, so I have rims I don't have to use for braking. Still, I wanted to share how incredible the tape is -- super sticky, super reflective. Probably not good on clothes, but definitely a good find for on-bike applications.
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Interesting.
    You could also get some tires with reflective sidewalls. They work great and won't put anything on the wheel.
    I took some of that 3M reflective tape and "pin-striped" my commuter. I wrapped it around the fork legs, the crank arms, and the top tube (not sure you'd want to ugly up your beautiful Seven that way, tho').
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I actually have a reflective Armadillo that I love, so I guess I'll be double-reflective when I put that back on. But right now it's studded tire season, and I already own a pair of really great non-reflective Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240 studded tires that I didn't want to replace.

I figured the rims were the least pretty part of my bike already, and as you say, tape would not be getting anywhere near the gorgeous ti frame. That would be desecration!
    Almost a Bike Blog:

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Just as an FYI
    Peter White Cycles claims to have Schwalbe Marathon Winter - reflective sidewall studded tires in 700 c in stock: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

"700c version: ETRTO 35-622, 240 studs, 40 psi to 70 psi, our part number SWL11126448 Out of stock. May be available again in January, 2009.

700c version: ETRTO 42-622, 240 studs, 35 psi to 60 psi, our part number SWL11156448In Stock!

All sizes, $74.00 each"
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I added some of the reflective stickers that TE sells to boost my visibility from the side:

I also added them to my helmet:

Last edited by wackyjacky1; 12-13-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Spokelits!

I got Spokelits, and I'm giving these as Christmas presents, they're great -- come in a variety of colors, and make you very, very visible from the side. I jumped on them after I ALMOST turned into a rider -- dark bike, dark clothes, dark but busy road, rider had front and rear lights, good ones, but couldn't be seen at all square on from the side.
    Spokelits have a steady and a blinky setting. And they cost $10 at my absolutely wonderful LBS

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    The spokelits are pretty cool. I also like the reflective tape on the rims (and the TE stickers are really cute). I've also pinstriped my bike, like 7rider.
    My main way to stay seen at night during the cold winters: stay in my car.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterChick View Post
    I got Spokelits, and I'm giving these as Christmas presents, they're great -- come in a variety of colors, and make you very, very visible from the side. I jumped on them after I ALMOST turned into a rider -- dark bike, dark clothes, dark but busy road, rider had front and rear lights, good ones, but couldn't be seen at all square on from the side.
    Spokelits have a steady and a blinky setting. And they cost $10 at my absolutely wonderful LBS
    Oh, I SO want some of these for myself, or some of those TireSparx thingies that screw onto the valve, for myself and as presents for some winter biking buddies but I can't find them anywhere in the country

If anyone feels like sending me some I'll reimburse you and add some excellent Norwegian chocolate.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

lph, I sent you a pm. I'd be happy to send you some!

I have TireSparx and I love them. I got a set for the hubby as well and several people have commented about how visible they are.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I have little 3m reflective sticks that go on the spokes. With the turning wheel, they should look like a wide reflective circle. I have about 8 on each wheel.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    I have little 3m reflective sticks that go on the spokes. With the turning wheel, they should look like a wide reflective circle. I have about 8 on each wheel.
    Synchornicity....I'd never seen those before today (and I've been looking for a simple solution). I found those at the local bike swap this afternnon (packaged as Relective Chop Spokes). Simple, effective and should work well.

There are so many good (and often incredibly creative) ways to make yourself visible! I did look into the Schwalbe tires, but they were both back-ordered and unlikely to fit on my bike. Hence this solution.

Opinion question: Should I mark the back wheel with alternating red and white reflective tape, or should I just do all white for both wheels? (I found a roll of red reflective tape at a hardware store and I can't decide if it would look stupid and not be worth it; look stupid and be worth it; or look OK.)
    Almost a Bike Blog:

The Schwalbes are available at Biketiresdirect.com. Ordered them this weekend.

Although they were for the 27" wheels.

All sorts of good ideas here...

My DLG bit the dust awhile back when I got in a hurry hooking it up and the power cable got hooked up in the chainring... haven't gotten around to replacing it just yet... ;-(

I use TireFlys on my valve stems, and get good side visibility with them... and wear a reflective vest that I found at Gander Mountain back the end of the summer. We taped the night ride at the LCI seminar held up in north Arkansas the weekend before last, where pairs of riders went up a stretch of dark road for a couple hundred yards then turned around and came back, while we watched them in the dark, then in the low and high beams of a car positioned there for that purpose. I was surprised to see how bright one rider looked -- sort of like the mothership from Close Encounters -- and when he turned around at the end I saw the TireFlys... it was me!

I still have light lust for a set of Dinottes, though...