Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Anyone doing Christmas rides?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey guys- Are of any of you planniing Christmas rides? I'm trying to organize one at our park and am trying to figure out how to make it worth their while for folks to come out in the cold Atlanta night and cycle in Christmas colors, etc. Any ideas on how to make it fun?

They should be required to dress as elves, santa, reindeer etc. There are also Christmas lights that some put on their bikes. Everybody should be required to bring cookies for the finish. You can provide the hot chocolate.

Our bike club has done bike themed caroling in the past - they re-worked carols (e.g. "Oh Cannondale") and we biked from bike lover's house to bike lover's house. I thought it was fun - DH didn't agree
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Hey Denny, what park in Atlanta? I'm in Atlanta too, and once you organize it, let me know. I'll post it on the Sorella Cycling site.

I'll be riding alot those days, and especially that weekend. My training plans call for two 6-hour rides. Ouch!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Hey! I'm in Atlanta too! Let us know if you organize something!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

We do a Wednesday night Women's ride out at Stone Mountain - lights and helmets required. We always end with a trip down Snowflake Lane -- it's a little side street with lights hanging, covering the lane. So pretty.

Right now, we split into two groups based on speed. You both should join us! We meet at the walk-up parking lot at 6:30, ready to ride.

SBL is having a Christmas Lights ride too -- starting in Decatur this Thursday. SHould be fun!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    We did a Christmas light ride on Thursday and will be doing another one next Thursday. Only had 4 show up Thursday, but hopefully more will come next week. We rode for an hour and then went home. I was the only one with lights all over my bike and reindeer antlers.
    I like the idea of having everyone dress up and bring cookies. Maybe I'll suggest that for next week.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Talking Christmas Ride - Stone Mountain Park

Hey Pedal and Katie- Yup, the ride will be at Stone Mountain Park. I spoke with a few people over the past few days who would love a night ride but are skeptical about doing it themselves in the dark and the only other christmas ride I know of is on the street level, which was a deterrant for a lot of people (crazy Atlanta drivers!) I know the Sorella team does a 6:30pm ride on Wed and would love to do it someday.

If you guys are up for the ride let me know. I'm thinking Wednesday or Thursday this week or the next. Also, I love the suggestions for the decorations etc., so PM me if you guys are interested or have other suggestions for the ride. I'm checking with the Park ranger if they'll allow us to use the Bonfire in the campground area.

Denny, you both should come and do our ride. We have two women who are pregnant leading the "B" group. The pace is quite relaxed, and just make sure you tell the leaders that you're new to group riding, and they'll get you up to speed in no time. Some on the B group are using hybrids now (more room for tummies!) so you'll be fine on Song!

That's where I'll be Wednesday (I'm training right now, so I have to do the A group -- after mid-February, I'll take it easy too!) and next Wednesday. Might even ride Christmas Eve -- the park should be quiet!

My mountain bike is still decorated from the Breast Cancer walks -- do pink boas count as holiday decorations?

Ruffled feathers

Pedal- I think your pink boa sounds fab-u-lous dahling!

Kudos to the Sorella group for continuing their rides through the season. Got an invite approx 3 weeks ago from one of the ladies of the group and they are frankly the reason why I thought about doing the x-mas ride. Hope you guys can make it. Right now Wednesday or Thursday of this week looks like the preferred days to ride.

Smile

Dh and I are planning to decorate our bikes and our bike trailer which will be hauling our giant teddy bear with a Santa hat and ride through our neighborhood and then through a local neighborhood that has a tour of lighted homes each year. Also, one of our LBS is sponsoring a ride, but unfortunately it is on a Monday night and since we work nights we cannot attend. But it sounds like fun. They meet at the bike shop and ride a portion of the Pinellas trail and then go through the aforementioned neighborhood which is a nice extensive ride. They will then go back to the bike shop for an after-ride hot chocolate and cookie treat.
    “No Bird Soars Too High If He Soars With His Own Wings” ~ William Blake

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I'm just going to go on a bike ride, no decorations, although my bike is red.

Since I don't celebrate Christmas, I always try to ride on the 25th, if it's over 35 degrees and there's no snow/ice on the road. It's fun and quiet, but we always see other cyclists, especially if it's a warmer day.
    If the conditions don't warrant a ride, I will be doing a local hike with AMC, to recover from the annual Chinese food fest that is obligatory for Jews on Christmas Eve.

nz

We;'ll be in NZ at christmas & hopefully will do some mtb stuff in Ian's hometown..(Rotorua)

I wannnnnnna!!!!!

Probably won't ride. I have to work so when I come home I will spend time with DH. I may see if I can sneak in a run.