Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

*sigh* The joys of being short & hunting for a bike for my uni commute

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've just started my search for a cheap-ish bike for commuting to uni on. I visited one shop tonight near my house & can find one in my price range ($600 AUD) but not my size..The hunt shall continue on the weekend

I don't want anything flash but I do want something that won't fall apart in 6months time! Uni is about 15km from my house but due to my urge to avoid traffic, it might be a bit longer if i find a better route!

I really wish bike shops stocked SMALL sized bikes! Not everyone is tall

Any suggestions? Specialized? Giant? Flat bar or Mtn bike?

Aussie ladies-what about SUB bikes???

Gah!

I know what you mean. It is hard to try bikes to see what fits best if there is nothing in stock but bikes that don't fit.

I found several shops that would order a bike in my size so I could try it before I bought it but that didn't appeal to me. I just kept trying shops till I found one that had something in my size. Then I ordered the next step up from the same manufacturer.

Used bicycles need homes too

I've always been a tad bit obsessive about checking the used bike listings

I like the idea of recycling and oftentimes, you can find a better quality bikes less expensively (and sometimes real steals!)

Check your local newspaper/craigslist (if you have it) and happy hunting! A word of caution though, many people are unable to accurately measure the size of the bike and ride bicycles not fit to them so I find it useful to provide them with a description. For instance, "What is the measurement from the middle of where the seatpost goes in to where the handlebars attach?"

It's also good to have a second pair of (experienced) eyes to go with you when you see the bicycle whose judgement isn't clouded by the exciting prospect of getting a new bike!
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

The up side of needing a small bike is that if a LBS has them, they don't sell very well, and eventually they end up at a very reduced price. I lucked out this way with my Trek.

Good luck on the search!
    "The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we might become." Charles Dubois

nop

I've been keeping an eye on all sorts of cycling boards for second hand bikes. None of them are small enough for me

I'm 5'1" and I commute on a Dahon. Nice thing about the folding geometry is that standover height is a non-issue for those with short legs. They're highly adjustable, too.

Bike theft is pretty high on American campuses - don't know if your University has a similar issue. Nice thing about a folding bike is you may be able to bring it inside with you, if you can find a space to stash it. I'm making a slipcover and strap carrying system for mine, so that I can bring it into offices that I visit, without worrying about getting grease all over things.

A mixte might work, too, if you can find one. Have you checked out the mixte thread recently?

Quote Originally Posted by jocelynlf View Post
    A mixte might work, too, if you can find one. Have you checked out the mixte thread recently?
    Hey! I have a mixte I need to sell. It just a tad to small for me. It would be a good fit for you. Wonder what shipping would cost? bikerHen