Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rainy days and Sundays...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know this should probably go in the 'Apparel' category, but does anyone look there?

After my experience last Sunday with the downpours during the Tour De Cure, I'm re-thinking my rain attire. Almost everything I see is 'water-resistant', not waterproof. Do you just give up and get wet, sweat with non-breathable waterproof, or take your chances with water-resistant? I have a Marmot Precip in my hiking gear, and I'm wondering if it can cross-train in my biking gear? I've been looking, but I'm not sure what to do.

For what it's worth, I usually don't plan on riding in the rain, I'm doing Ride The Rockies, and they ride, rain or shine, and if I don't ride, I'm in the wrong town at the end of the day. (seven days, six towns...)

You've posed a question that's been on my mind lately. I'm doing the Bike Tour of Colorado which is the week after Ride the Rockies. Their suggested packing list says waterproof gear. I have the Marmot Precip but I wore it riding once and had the dreaded sauna effect. I also own a water resistant cycling jacket. I'm not sure which one to pack and don't really want to overpack by bringing both.

How heavy are the afternoon showers that they tend to get in Colorado? Do you really need the waterproof as they recommend or is water resistant (and much more breathable) a better choice?

Last year on my trip to Yellowstone my water resistant jacket soaked through completely at least twice. But I had on wool jerseys underneath and so was fine. I have a waterproof jacket that I wear for commuting and descending Diablo, but I don't like to wear when I'm actually working hard. While it says it's breathable and has pit zips, it still feels like a plastic bag.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I have 2 waterproof jackets; one is a Performance yellow looking slicker thing and the other is a really expensive jacket (can't remember the brand). They both have pit zips. The slicker has a hood. Both are fine to wear, but i only ride in the rain if I have to (like it starts when I'm out there). Most of the time I've used them it has been cold out, so the plastic effect was minimal. I keep the pit zips unzipped most of the time. I was once caught out in a downpour last spring, when the temp. went down to 48. I had a wool shirt and tights on, with a water resistant jacket. It was the worst riding experience I've had and I only had to go about 8 miles to get back to my car. I would rather feel sweaty than get hypothermia!

I am also researching a cycling jacket as it would have come in quite handy this past weekend. I did a search here on the board and I see a few of you ladies like the PI Zephyrr. I went on the PI site and only see it for men. I there a certain model that I should be looking for. I don't need it for cold weather, I have a great Sugoi for that, just something cool that keeps the rain out the best it can. I don't want the Sauna or plastic bag feel, that's for sure. I did see many bright PI jackets on this ride but didn't have the guts to question the rider as to what type it was and how dry it kept them.

~ JoAnn

I was looking at the Zephyr, and it appears to be 'resistant' too, not waterproof. Performance has a $9.00 plastic jacket/cape-type thingy that looks waterproof, but then it has mesh inserts in the sleeves.

Skibum, let's compare notes after our rides - we were going to do the Bike Tour if we didn't get into Ride the Rockies, but a) we got in, and b) we have a hiking trip to Yellowstone planned that would overlap (yes, I'm riding in Colorado for a week, coming home and working for 4 days, then heading out for two weeks of hiking in Yellowstone - I can't believe how lucky I am!)

From what I know (a few vacations in Colorado, but usually later in the summer) afternoon thunderstorms come up from nowhere, and can last for hours. Or, just weather can move in for days. We had about four nights of camping out that were rained out in early July last year. My feeling is that if I'm going to carry something, I want to make sure it will do the job - I don't have room for gear that isn't doing its job. I'm trying to get away with a large seatpost bag for all my daily gear, so space is VERY limited.

I often wear Thom's Zephyr. I really like it. It fits well. I like the screaming yellow. It's one of the two jackets I wore in Yellowstone. It did not keep me dry in a serious downpour though.

V,

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    I often wear Thom's Zephyr. I really like it. It fits well. I like the screaming yellow. It's one of the two jackets I wore in Yellowstone. It did not keep me dry in a serious downpour though.

V,

V- could you check what the waterproof jacket is? I think that I'll deal with the plastic bag feeling - ventilating something waterproof makes more sense to me than trying to stay dry in a wet water-resistant jacket.

Right now, I'm leaning towards my Precip...

It's Sugui's Bosui. Bought it here from TE. It really is waterproof. I've ridden in several heavy downpours on my commute with it and been totally dry when I got to work. I got it this year when I got wet in the first real rain we had. Looks like they don't have it anymore though.

I wish it wasn't gray colored.

V.

TandemHearts.com

I have a Gortex jacket I got from Performance Bike last year for about $75.00. (on sale) I wore it all this year in rain, fog, you name it. Goretex breathes so you don't get quite so hot. It has a hood, but I haven't experimented with that. My only complaint is that it is blue (I'd rather yellow). It's a bit bulky, although it will fit into itself if you have a bag to stick it in.
    Nancy

one thing I do not hear you guys discussing too much is the factors of body heat, sweat, condensation compared to waterproof/water resistant. By definition, anything that is water proof won't let water in, but it won't let water out either in the form of vapor, sweat or condensation. Anytime you are exercising you are producing all of the above. This is why ventilation is so important.

Waterproof/breathable fabrics like goretex etc are designed to move water vapor, but under a specific set of conditions that involve low temps ( cold) and a minimal amount of vapor transfer.(low activity) Most of the time that people are getting wet from good quality rain geat it's from moisture that they themselves are generating, not from leakage.

So how do you combat this? Ventilation and appropriate layering. Even if it's pouring and you are sweating up a storm, if you wear the right kind of wicking layer you will be somewhat comfortable. (see veronica's post)

I find that if it's a light warm rain, I just get wet, I hate being inside a rain coat.

irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Good points, Irulan.

I'm mostly worried about long, potentially wet descents. Shoot, in Colorado, I'm worried about cold ascents too - the temperatures can drop quickly, so I'm looking for the ideal, perfect dream jacket. One that breathes, one that easily vents, one that is waterproof, and most especially, one that will keep water from dripping down my shorts in between me and my chamois. Between us, that's what worries me the most!

if it's the temperature you are concerned about (cold rainy mountain descent) this is where your base layers are just as important as what kind of shell you have on. I like V's suggestion of merino wool under a shell.

~I.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I live in far northern Ca., where it rains a lot during the winter. I have like the REI goretex jacket; it has the tail that can be pulled down in serious rain. I've worn it in some pretty serious rain, and I see quite a few around here, which must be some kind of vote of confidence. I'm wearing it in the little avatar picture.

Judging by today (I just flew back from SF Bay area this evening in the little Barbie Dream jet, as I call it) the rain just might be over for the season, fingers crossed.
    The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart. ~Iris Murdoch, The Red and the Green

The raingear question has been on my mind as well. So, if I'm processing all this right, there's a temperature/wind chill "line" that makes rain gear either 1) a sauna bag, or 2) a protective, somewhat breathable, shell. It sounds like goretex is the superior waterproof fabric but wool underlayers for the "cool" side of that temperature line help move uncomfortable moisture away from your actual skin and keep you warmer. When you cross over the line into warmer temps, does the wool still do an important job or do you now want some synthetic wicking layer or do you just throw your hands up and strip down to nothing? Also, is there any effective protection for your shoes or do you just put up with sloshy toes? I'm assuming a steady rain here, not just a sprinkle.

Audio, I can't believe you're going to fit things into a seatbag!!! It must be a whopper of a bag - care to share it's brand/dimensions?

That's another question I have. I know we've had some threads on "what stuff do you carry when you ride and what do you carry it in." I'm finding that now that I'm doing longer rides on a new road bike, all those teensy-weensy bags don't hold alot and I sure don't like carrying it on my back. Are any of you mega-tourers using handlebar bags or even racks/trunk bags on your multi-day trips? I'm assuming a handlebar bag is the way to go, even though it would create more drag on a headwind day. Racks on a road bike are kind of "outre" aren't they?