Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sally Edwards splits from Danskin, starts own races

To disable ads, please log-in.

In November, HeartZones sent out a newsletter saying Sally Edwards/HeartZones was joining with Trek to sponsor a new race series - http://www.trektriathlon.com/

Apparently Danskin is going to continue running their own races, too, and the Trek races will follow the same formula (looks like almost the same cities, even).

Here's the newsletter - http://www.heartzones.com/newsletter/November-2008.html

And a press release - http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/2040.html

The more the merrier? I have to admit, it might be nice if these well-organized race people would also organize longer-distance races, even just stretching to Olympic Distance to offer one more option (kind of like how some of them do supersprint/sprint). I suppose that might be quite the zoo, though.

Should be interesting to see how Danskin does without Sally, and how the Trek series does on its own with only her name to start them up. I'll probably try both as long as they fit with my schedule. Knowing my luck, one of them will collide with work travel.

I did Danskin Chicagoland last year. The Trek triathlon is on the weekend the Danskin is usually held. So, it looks like the date of Danskin Chicagoland is TBD. How do the other schedules compare between Trek and Danskin?

Quote Originally Posted by csh_01 View Post
    I did Danskin Chicagoland last year. The Trek triathlon is on the weekend the Danskin is usually held. So, it looks like the date of Danskin Chicagoland is TBD. How do the other schedules compare between Trek and Danskin?
    It looks like they are still determining the dates for the Danskin and Trek series both... Danskin announced most of their dates, and Trek only has a few dates.

Danskin just announced Seattle today as Aug. 23. Trek still hasn't announced exactly where in Washington or when.

The back story on this must be...something else.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Danskin just announced Seattle today as Aug. 23. Trek still hasn't announced exactly where in Washington or when.

The back story on this must be...something else.
    So, the Danskin site has been updated to say that they merged with SheROX, and Trek has Sally Edwards... the plot thickens? I saw in Triathlon whatever (the USAT magazine) that she had a column that praised series "like the Danskin" without mentioning her new series.

The Seattle date for the Trek series is July 5th, and the Danskin is actually August 16th.

Yeah. Isn't this weird? Both races are using Genesee Park, also. I wonder if the courses will be the same for each.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

This seems like a dumb move in this economy. I think it would have been better if they could resolve their differences and have a single series. I think a single series has a much better chance of surviving.

My understanding from some e-mails floating around on one of the lists I'm on is that essentially what we all knew as "The Danskin" is now the Trek series, and Danskin sold their name to SheROX. People who are looking for "The Danskin Experience" are being encouraged to sign up for the Trek race. *shrug* I think it's all just kind of silly.

I think I may do the Federal Way race again in September, but stay away from either of the Danskin variations for now.

See, I think that's all just marketing competition. I don't know that "the Danskin experience" equates solely to the presence of Maggie Sullivan and Sally Edwards. It just looks like a big ugly power and money struggle to me. If there's another side to it, it would be good to know what that is. I don't think the head to head competition serves athletes very well, but it could be that there's some merit to it that I don't understand/don't know about.

Actually, thats backwards. It seems that Trek - which was a sponsor of the Danskin races - wanted to have their own series. They recruited Maggie awayfrom Danskin promising her $s and glory. She took Sally along for the ride.

The Danskin folks wanted to continue the series and went to the SheROX peeps and asked then to step in to take it over. I know lots of girls that did the SheRox race in Philly and they said it blew Danskin away. Much better vibe and support. One of them was a newbie (scared like ****) and said that the mentor that she got from SheROX was unbelievable support and now she is hooked.

Exclamation Clarification over Sally Edwards & Maggie Sullivan Leaving Danskin

Hi All,

I handle the PR for the TREK Women's Triathlon Series, and used to work with Danskin, as well. I have read all your posts and wanted to clarify exactly what is going on with Sally, Maggie, Danskin and TREK.

While most of you are correct - Sally and Maggie have left Danskin and taken their team with them to TREK - it seems there is some skepticism and confusion as to the cause and motives behind that move.

I want to be clear and assure you when I say that Maggie's decision to leave Danskin was not for marketing or competitive purposes. It was not a publicity stunt, nor was the move a tactic in hurting the Danksin brand. Maggie's decision to leave Danskin after 19 years was a difficult and risky one (especially in this economy). But to her, the bigger picture was more important: she hoped to create an improved series for you. There are many aspects of Danksin that Maggie was not pleased with, and has been able to improve since she arrived at TREK.

Maggie’s first step was to include and build upon the best practices and dimensions of her 19 years of work in the triathlon industry. Maggie knew the importance of retaining the special aspects of her previous Series that women had come to love. For instance, the new Series would be a spring distance event: ˝ mile swim, 12 mile bicycle and 3.1 mile run.

While at Danksin, Maggie was the sole employee responsible for developing the triathlon series. Along with Sally Edwards as the spokeswoman, she built a culture based on the notion of women helping women and supporting each other in a nurturing and challenging environment.

The problem now is that people are still looking for the Danskin race. What everyone needs to understand is that what was once the magic of Danskin has now transitioned to TREK with Sally and Maggie.

I hope this can clarify the confusion behind the move, and if anyone has any questions/comments please feel free to contact me. I want to be sure that all of you have not lost faith in Maggie Sullivan, Sally Edwards and the risk they have taken in leaving Danskin to improve the triathlon series - because I can promise that they have not lost faith in you.

I'm thrilled to see that the PR machine is on the case. *ahem*

I realize that your company has likely been sold on the value of monitoring "the social web" for chatter about your brand/products/events, and on the value of countering anything perceived as negative, but a post like that just kind of defeats your whole purpose (especially on a site that is more community than just random chatter). You get a Fail. But, thanks for playing.

/Dex (who has had it up to her ears with marketing BS lately)

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    I'm thrilled to see that the PR machine is on the case. *ahem*

I realize that your company has likely been sold on the value of monitoring "the social web" for chatter about your brand/products/events, and on the value of countering anything perceived as negative, but a post like that just kind of defeats your whole purpose (especially on a site that is more community than just random chatter). You get a Fail. But, thanks for playing.

/Dex (who has had it up to her ears with marketing BS lately)
    A+ on that one dex

/Miss Cynical eclectic when it comes to politically correct, canned statement, marketing propaganda.

BTW so all the "magic" is gone from Danskin tris now - I am sad

In all seriousness I was keeping an open mind about the Trek series and subscribed to their updates.
    Note to you Miss Ademetrio, your letter came across like every other big business PR letter and I am less excited about the Trek series because of it.
    Community discussion forums are just that - community discussion forums - there is no need to come on and give public disclaimers.

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. The reality of my "Big Business PR Letter" is that I work for a PR company that is composed of 8 people - a humble firm who has pride in Maggie and Sally's vision for women athletes. In addition, I haven't been sold on anything - we are given no instruction to "monitor the social web" - I've done so on my own accord to try to get to know the women of Washington in their preparation for TREK. Up until now, it has been quite a pleasant experience.

I resent the notion that what I posted earlier is "marketing propaganda." I believe that eloquence and compelling speech is important, especially in a forum that is centered around women supporting women - and that is why I, alone, composed that post in the hopes of clarifying any confusion you women might have regarding Maggie and Sally. It is a shame that you took my words as corporate babble and not what they were meant to be - the truth about Maggie's intentions.

Good luck with your training and races.

benefit of the doubt?

can we ease off a little?

I've also worked in PR in the past so I can be just as skeptical as the next person, but perhaps ademetrio really was just trying to address the questions and concerns of the thread.

I don't mind that ademetrio posted, or that she identified herself as PR -- rather, it seems that her post did not provide any new information. Of course all parties involved wish each other well. Of course Maggie and Sally want any series with their names attached to be superb.

There was a lot of nice language in the post, but I didn't feel that the WHY of it was suitably addressed.