Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bobs get dirty!

Bobs get dirty!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hell hath frozen over - the Bobs have gone over to the dark and dirty side!

After the fun time we had with SadieKate & Bubba in Bend, where minimal blood was shed, Lee and I decided to take the plunge and get our own mtn bikes.

We figured we'd go the cushy full suspension route with the hopes that our equipment would help compensate for our lack of skilz.

We bombarded people with questions, did lots of reading, and initially narrowed the choice down to Giant or Santa Cruz. Then Lee did some more reading and concluded that Specialized might give us lots of value for the buck.

We were able to borrow a Santa Cruz Superlight from Chris at Robinson Wheelworks (thanks again Chris!) and Lee took it out for a ride on Friday morning out on the dirt trails in Coyote Hills park, while yours truly was working .

That afternoon he made a return trip to GoRide Bikes in Redwood City and took a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR out for a test ride. GoRide was having a clearance on their 2008 models, and for what we figured we would pay for the Comp (lowest) level, they had an Expert level with far better components.

Long story short, Lee called me up and said "honey, I'm buying a bike" to which I replied "that's nice, dear".

Lee was absolutely delighted with how the Stumpy performed so, to cut to the chase, we schlepped back to GoRide and I got myself one too.

So, we have matching bikes for the moment, but I'm already thinking about accessorizing.

It's a wonderfully cushy ride, so I've named mine Doughboy (DB for short):

Yes, that's a Doughboy hanging off the saddle bag.

Lee, in typical fashion, named his "gray bike".

Here's Lee with gray bike pointing to where his tire caught and he endo'ed on his Friday morning test ride

We're having a blast with these bikes! We've gone a couple of times out to the dirt trails out in Coyote Hills and Don Edwards parks. I have the shifting down pretty well (it has SRAM shifters, a bit different than the Shimanos - but boy they work great) and I'm more confident with climbing & descending. We've been tweaking lever positions and such, and I've been back to GoRide to swap out the stem for a slightly shorter one, and it fits me fabulously now.

We'll venture off to more 'technical' trails next week (am I getting the lingo right?).

I'm a little embarrassed about getting such a tricked-out bike for my first attempt at mtn biking - the shock has a brain for chrissakes!!! - but heck, you only live once.

Plus, it's such a hoot to hear my husband so matter-of-factly state "I'm going to tweak my brain tomorrow". I don't think he's said that for over twenty-five years.

But one thing I'm wondering ...

Why didn't you guys tell me this would be so much fun?!?
    ducking & running

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Very cool! Glad you have a new adventure ahead of you.

Come to Marin.... Seriously - let's ride Saturday....
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

YAY!!
    Great looking bikes. I hope you and Lee have heaps of fun on them.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

cool

Sweet Jobob!! Nice to see you've come over to the dark side!!! Does this mean we'll see you at a local mtb xc race or 6hr or 12hr or 24hr event one day?

Enjoy the trails & remember mtn biking is much more fun than road riding! How can you not enjoy the peace & quiet?

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post

Come to Marin.... Seriously - let's ride Saturday....
    Sure! We can deliver your, ahem, supplies from Bend as well.

Just go easy on us, OK???

Ok! So mid morning - meet in MV? We'll do a nice RR grade loop - maybe we can get to the top - not a difficult ride all things considered. I will be moderately hung over from my b-day party the night before. It'll be great.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Birthday! Virtual polenta coming your way........

MP is going to be the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Welcome to the dirrrty side! DH has the Stumpy Comp and loves it, man you are lucky he test rode the expert (rental) but the budget in July was Comp. Can't wait to hear about your rides and bruises (LOL!). I went yesterday, came back with a bruised hip, I don't remember hitting anything?

BTW- You need bells. Seriously my bike doesn't have one and I am getting tired of scaring the bejeezus out of hikers. DH is getting one in his stocking, his racing buddies use them so it is okay to him now. And if you don't have one in those hydration packs, a first aid kit. We have needed to use ours on DH's bloodied finger (he slammed a tree in a tight turn).
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 12-08-2008 at 08:14 AM.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Thanks Ama!

We'll definitely stock up on the first aid stuff.

Wish I could find a doughboy bell that would emit the doop-de-doop-de-doooooo that Poppin' Fresh does in the Pillsbury commercials. But that would probably scare the hikers even more. Or get me committed.
    Last edited by jobob; 12-08-2008 at 08:22 AM.

That would be a great bell! DH wants something sleek like the little silver flat ones. I want something with personality, I saw a dragon one I liked. There are no style points when I am on the trail so my bike can be as goofy as I want.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Thanks Ama!

We'll definitely stock up on the first aid stuff.
    You can get great little first aid kits for mtb that fit really well into your camelbak. DH got me one for a present when I first started mtb. Seems he could tell I would be falling off a lot.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

those are a sweet couple of toys for fellow roadies-turned-over to the dark side. We did not go for the "partner" look.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Heh - I'm not big on the partner look either (although two of our road bikes are also identical. Oh well). We toyed with one of us getting the orange/brown frame, but in real life it's kind of garish.

I'm looking into accessories to make my bike more, um, distinctive.

Our mountain bikes are identical. Our road bikes use to be identical until Thom got hit. It's no biggie - really. Just means you both have good taste.

Now if you start matching all your clothes including shoes and helmets, I'll get worried.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com