Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

pennys Guest

Any do it yourselfers?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I sew most of my own cycle gear.

I can whip up some really nice lycra shorts, with a chaomois made of ultrasuede and polartec in a short amount of time. I haven't bought shorts or tights in over 20 years

Anyone else do this?

here's a photo

I made this supplex cycle shell, the tights, the headband under the helmet and even the shorts under the tights

I just had some wicking fabric custom screened by a friend of mine and I'll be making a jersey out of it soon.

penny s

Pennys,

You are amazing! Did you buy patterns for the clothing or make your own? With the price of cycling clothes, you must be saving a fortune. I have been thinking about making some things, haven't sewn in years but I'm sure I still can if I find the time.

Liner

pennys Guest
    There are commerical outdoors patterns you just have to hunt for them, mail order from places like Seattle Fabrics and Textile Outfitters.

I used Stretch and Sew patterns for the tights and shorts; they have a great 6 panel shorts pattern, and then I used a pattern from a Canadian company for the shell. I tweak everything, so it's never exactly how the pattern tells you to make it.

penny

Penny,
    Your apparel looks great! After your post of a few months back, I attempted to make a pair of shorts using a Green Pepper pattern. However, even though I chose the size according to the pattern measurements, they were so tight that when I tried them on, I didn't need elastic on the waist or the legs Is the Stretch and Sew pattern a little more generous?
    Also, which weight of Polartec are you using. I used 2 layers of a heavyweight (it was a cheap scrap, not the good stuff), but it doesn't provide nearly enough padding to keep me comfortable on a long ride. Any recommendations?
    Nancy

pennys Guest
    disclaimer: I do sew professionally, but I also just like to share. I've built a website with lots of sewing gear tips, as a way to sahre, and if I post the link it's for that reason, not to solicit.

I've found the Green Pepper patterns to be wonky in thier sizing. I use the S&S 6 panel short, I hvae to take the waist in but the legs are ok for me... I"m "curvy with a small waist".

For the pad, you might need to experiment. I never ever use the cheap fleece for anything, I just hate it.

for sizing, you might just try cutting your peices with a biger seam allowance so you can adjust. Make sure your fabric has enough stretch and that you are laying out the stretch the correct way: around the body.

here's more tips

penny

Unhappy

[QUOTE][

for sizing, you might just try cutting your peices with a biger seam allowance so you can adjust. Make sure your fabric has enough stretch and that you are laying out the stretch the correct way: around the body.

Penny-
    Good suggestions, I'll try again and go up a size. Like you, I have a smaller waist, but unfortunately for me, not the thighs to match
    Nancy