Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good road tires?

To disable ads, please log-in.

My road bike is in dire need of new tires. I plan to put in some serious base miles this winter so I need to get rolling on this (no pun intended). Any recommendations for good tires that don't cost a fortune? There are so many to choose from.

Schwalbe Stelvio.

DH recommends the Continental Grand Prix 4000s $49.99 each at WheelWorld.com. They also have the Continental Ultra Race folding $17.99

The GP 4000s is a training / race tire, that wears better and longer than a lot of others. The Ultra Race is rated as a good tire to get your base miles in.

As you may notice, DH is a continental guy. And his choices in tires have always worked for me.

Hugs and butterflies,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

I put GP4000s on my bike this fall. They've only got about 800 miles so far, but what I noticed right away is that they have a much more uniformly rounded profile than the Michelin Lithions that I'd been riding. The Contis turn in much easier, but they definitely feel twitchier for straight-line riding. That also means that, similar to motorcycle tires ridden on too much freeway, the profile will change over time as they wear a "flat spot" in the middle. (I'm pretty sure unless you only ride crits, there's no way to wear bici tires uniformly on the sides... and these aren't really race tires. )

This isn't pro or con, just an observation of how the feel of these tires differs from the Michelins.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Specialized Armadillos. Very very puncture resistant. The only downside is that they are a devil to get on and off, but then again, like I said, very very puncture resistant. I have them on all my road bikes.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    You don't say whether you want skinny racing tires or fatter tires for possible dirt/gravel roads, and you don't say if you want puncture resistant because of road glass and debris, or whether speed is more important to you.
    There are tires that do various things well, if we knew more about your riding habits and your goals. If we know nothing except that you want good road tires, well then everyone is just going to recommend their favorite tire, whether it really suits your needs or not.
    and...Do you consider $50 per tire to be within your "costing a fortune" category?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I just got new tires on my road girl. This link below in TE will show the blab I posted about picking them out. I have not had the chance to ride them much as we have gotten a very early winter with snow/ice here in the midwest. The tires are Serfas Seca RS $38. You can scroll down to the bottom of my thread link and look at the pic I posted of how they performed for me right off the bat. Knock on wood, I'm happy with that so far.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=27594

Conti 4-Seasons are a great winter tire--a bit wider, durable, can handle the crap, etc., but they ain't cheap.
    My bro has the Specialized Armadillos. He commutes in NYC and he loves them.

BTW BleeckerSt_girl has a good point

+1 for the Continental GP 4000's. After changing one too many flat tires I switched to these and am a firm believer. They come and cool colors also.

I use Conti Ultra Gatorskin on my road bike. I only had one flat with them this year.

Road Tires

Wow reading this thread makes me realize how limited we are on brands on Maui. Thank goodness for Ebay. I didn't realize how expensive tires are, in comparison to how cheap the tubes are. It is kind of strange because they are both rubber and essential to riding. Anyhow my Specialized Ruby Elite Triple came with Specialized All Condition tires, but after only 200 miles they were hamburger. I soon learned from the LBS I bought them from that usually the stock tires that come with a bike are crap.

I wish I paid more attention to what tires came with the bike because I had to dish out about $100 for tires and tubes already. Now I have Michelin Lithion and am gonna give them a try. Here in Hawaii they are $15.00 a piece (and tubes are $5). I don't care about speed, I just want puncture resistant for now. It sure is a b*tch to put on road tires like putting a condom on a watermelon. At the very end when I can't push the last 6" of tire over the rim, I use the tire levers very carefully like a shoe horn to lift the tire over the rim. But you have to be careful not to pinch the tube against the rim!!!

Some tires are harder to mount than others, but with practice you can get a nice rolling motion with the heels of your hands that will get most tires on. I rarely have to resort to levers anymore.

I like my Schwalbe Stelvios. But I don't have a huge frame of reference. BF has some Vredesteins (they are training tires, not super expensive) that have been fairly flat resistant and feel fast, but not as cushy as the Stelvios.

I highly recommend heading over to www.biketiresdirect.com. Good prices and good service.
    Last edited by VeloVT; 12-18-2008 at 04:27 PM.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Michelin Krylium

I have the Conti GP 4000 also and only got one flat this year. They are easy to take on/off. Before that i had the Shwalbe Stelvios and those were great, too. We got the Contis very cheap on Steep and Cheap.

Another Schwalbe Stelvio fan.

I've had trouble with Contis being tough to get on before, so I avoid them.