Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hot! Hot! Hot!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Get yourself some zinc oxide. It saved my hide when I rode CAR 7. I know, it's ugly, it's white, but it works. You are going to have the sun pounding on your right side, it can literally cook you! Put it on your ears, your shoulders (if you go sleevless), your cheeks. Wear it like war paint, wear it proudly!
    +1 !!

I like Zinka brand in little tubes for my nose which gets the most sun pounding. They come in whacky colors:
    http://www.zinka.com/index.php?page=...tail&sun_id=23
    I like the neon green one for me....DH gets conservative white.
    Next I'll try coral I think.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

don't forget the back of your neck either:that tender skin is exposed and often forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    Mel - I'm sorry I didn't see you all day - sounds like you did great AND ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!
    MP, thanks for the b-day wishes! I did OK -- I've never climbed Sierra or the back side of Mt. Hamilton. It was hard, especially with the heat. Whew. OTOH, it made the Calaveras Wall (my former Nemesis Hill) seem like an anthill. I felt bad about taking the SAG back from Sunol, but I just couldn't get rid of the dizziness. Guess I was cooked. I didn't see you until I came back to the Sunol rest stop to rescue dachshund and Laurie. Glad you were able to finish the ride. You guys are amazing!!

Coach Theresa and Vernon were great -- I didn't have the social graces to respond to all their encouragement, but I really appreciated it.

Seeing the Bobs and Snap at the top of Sierra was awesome. They run the best rest stop ever -- valet parking for bikes, warnings about glass, picture taking, waiting on riders hand and foot. I was so beat that I didn't notice their decorations (TnT-colored leis, umbrellas, etc.) until I saw Jo & Snap's pics.

The woman at the Sunol rest stop was awesome too. At that point, I was back to barely speaking, so I never was able to tell her how much I appreciated her help and kindness.

How's Mike doing? He reached deep into his Suitcase of Courage to get to the top of Sierra. I hope his cough hasn't turned into a debilitating lung disease.

Quote Originally Posted by MM_QFC! View Post
    don't forget the back of your neck either:that tender skin is exposed and often forgotten!
    Absolutely -- the back of your neck (and your ears) is a good candidate for sunscreen. The back of your neck is also a great place to apply a nice Amici Veloci buff filled with ice when you need to cool off.
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

Quote Originally Posted by melissam View Post
    MP, thanks for the b-day wishes! I did OK -- I've never climbed Sierra or the back side of Mt. Hamilton. It was hard, especially with the heat. Whew. OTOH, it made the Calaveras Wall (my former Nemesis Hill) seem like an anthill. I felt bad about taking the SAG back from Sunol, but I just couldn't get rid of the dizziness. Guess I was cooked. I didn't see you until I came back to the Sunol rest stop to rescue dachshund and Laurie. Glad you were able to finish the ride. You guys are amazing!!
    Crud, we didn't realize you guys were hanging out in Sunol - Snap & LeeBob and I had dinner at Boscos. We looked over and didn't see Ken's truck anymore so we figured everyone had cleared out. (And to be honest, I was kind of tired out myself so my curiousity wasn't in particularly high gear)

Coach Theresa and Vernon were great -- I didn't have the social graces to respond to all their encouragement, but I really appreciated it.
    Eh, don't worry, I'm sure they understood!
    Seeing the Bobs and Snap at the top of Sierra was awesome. They run the best rest stop ever -- valet parking for bikes, warnings about glass, picture taking, waiting on riders hand and foot. I was so beat that I didn't notice their decorations (TnT-colored leis, umbrellas, etc.) until I saw Jo & Snap's pics.
    All in a day's work, ma'am. I think Snap & the Bobs make a pretty good support team.

Oh, and Happy Birthday, luv!

The woman at the Sunol rest stop was awesome too. At that point, I was back to barely speaking, so I never was able to tell her how much I appreciated her help and kindness.

How's Mike doing? He reached deep into his Suitcase of Courage to get to the top of Sierra. I hope his cough hasn't turned into a debilitating lung disease.
    Agreed - that Sierra stop was an oasis of happiness. I just wish I'd been more coherent and appreciative. I've never climbed Sierra in the daylight and did not know you could see Hamilton from the top - THAT was cool!

You did 99% of that ride so don't worry about a little SAG. I am so impressed with how everyone did. It was pretty amazing. 20 - 30 degrees cooler would have been an entirely different ride. That reflective heat off the pavement on Sierra was easily 110. Crazy.

Mike has never ever quit a ride. He should have stopped on Sierra (heck he should not have started). Silly stubborn men.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I also lost my ability to speak until I'd been at the most excellent jobob, leebob, and snapdragen rest stop for a good 15 minutes.
    Well, you did manage a series of grunts...

Me: "Mel, you wanna sit in the chair?"

Mel: "Ngrmph"

Me: "oookay..."

And...

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Well, you did manage a series of grunts...

Me: "Mel, you wanna sit in the chair?"

Mel: "Ngrmph"

Me: "oookay..."

And...

Thanks for the b-day wishes!

Oh yeah, I completely lost my social graces; my verbal skills had diminished to grunts and whimpers. But here's how the above exchange went in my head:

Snap: "Mel, you wanna sit in the chair?"

Mel (kneeling on the ground): "A chair would be great, but I don't have the leg strength to stand back up so I can sit down in the chair. So I think I'll stay here for now. Thanks."
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

Oh wow, a 4 year old thread! A good place to hide mention of some "little" ride and melissam's birthday! Happy BD Mel!

Yes. Very sneaky. I like it.

Happy birthday Mel.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

*snort*

I know this site is mainly populated by US cyclists ... so let me make you feel bad about complaining about the weather.

Right here

and it's been like this for about 3 weeks ands it's only starting.

Meh!!!
    ~ Cycling is the sport of gods ~

I dunnoh. 3 weeks of drizzle sounds heavenly compared to 3 weeks of 100+ temps.

Congrats and Happy Burfday!

And, of course, thank you to the Very Important Volunteers.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I wish ot was only drizzle, I think our idea of drizzle is your idea of pourring rain.
    ~ Cycling is the sport of gods ~

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
    I wish it was only drizzle, I think our idea of drizzle is your idea of pourring rain.
    Not exactly - at least not from what's on that Accuweather site, of less than 1.5 cm a day.

This is our idea of pouring rain. 27 cm in the past 30 hours or so.

The weather you're having is more like the winter in the central US, where we don't see the sun for weeks on end. I do sympathize! But it's not pouring rain.

Happy birthday Mel!

Also - re, sunblock and heat, anybody got some good paraben-free lip sunblock that'll ride in a jersey pocket without melting? Liquid's okay for the sunblock that goes on nose, neck and arms, but my lips get burned even on a long run and liquid is definitely not OK for lip sunblock.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 05-20-2009 at 03:46 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler