Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Death Ride!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'll post pics sometime soon.

Lee & I hung out for most of the day on a grassy slope at the edge of Markleeville. It was really fun there, lots of people gathered there to cheer the riders on. We & the riders were even serenaded by a small yet enthusiastic marching band.

We cheered on on Dachshund & Mel & MP as they rode by, along with nearly all of the rest of the TNT gang (a few managed to sneak by when I wasn't looking).

And I saw gnat go by too - she's hard to miss! I yelled out to her but it was pretty noisy there so I doubt she ever heard me.

We also hung out later in the day at the TNT tent near the finish at Turtle Rock park. We saw most of the riders come in, although we left before mp arrived. She was riding with the last of the group but we weren't sure how much longer they would be, and we wanted to visit a bit that evening with the friends we were staying with.

We did actually drive by mp as she and the last of the group were riding towards Turtle Rock. The garbage bag she was wearing on account of the rain storm was billowing around her -- looking good, lady!

Mimi, it was great to see Donald, and he still bakes a mean pie!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    he's used to long days in the saddle. What he's not used to is the intensity of the climbs! Apparently the road grades there are steeper and longer than ours (which i still find hard to believe, but he insists!!)
    He's used to hills too, but even Ramrod (ride around mt Rainier in one Day) is not as intense as Death Ride..

So those of you who did this ride, i have to say I am amazed and you should be very proud of yourselves...
    Congrats to Raleighdon.

And from someone who rides in both California and the Cascades, yes, the mtns in California tend to be steeper.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Gotta say, Raleighdon was so nervous the evening before the ride!

I thought he was very well prepared, and I kind of suspect this was just his way of psyching himself up.

Still, I was very happy to see him ride through Markleeville after having already done four passes, looking very strong.

And he looked great at the end of the ride! He was such a happy camper.

I hope that's me next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    I hope that's me next year.
    Yes, Jo, it WILL be you next year!!
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

Gotta admit though, after hearing or reading the accounts from Twain, Raleighdon, Glenn (gw_12) as well as from some of the TNT gang, it sounds like the Death Ride is suffering from overpopularity. Happens to many of the good rides, alas.

Eh, I'm still going to train for it on next year's TNT team. I've already raised about 2/3rds of my minimum, and due to my "fortunate" timing I'll get to roll it over into next year's fundraising effort.

Plus I've already heard from a few team members who plan to do it again. It was a great bunch of people this year and I have no doubts it'll be a great bunch next year.

how many

Jo-i'm sure with your determination, you'll be there next year

How many participants were there? Is this the biggest one in California??

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post

How many participants were there? Is this the biggest one in California??
    The biggest what in California?

The ride is capped at 3000 riders (2800 entries available for purchase and 200 given to various sponsors). It is a pretty small field, all things considered (compared to other centuries), but the out and back nature of the course makes it feel like there are more riders than there are.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

The biggest 5 mountain pass bike ride in California maybe. With steeper hills than the Pacific NW cascade range. and you guys talk about it like it was STP...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

The Mt. Shasta super century in Northern California has (according to the website) a bit more mileage and a bit more elevation gain. Having done neither I can't say which one is really more challenging, has better support or is more scenic.

The Death Ride has been around longer, and has gotten a lot more attention -- with a name like that how couldn't it?

However the Mt. Shasta century has a 750 rider cap, which is a definite plus.

Maybe I'll try for both next year. yeah, right.

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    And I saw gnat go by too - she's hard to miss! I yelled out to her but it was pretty noisy there so I doubt she ever heard me.
    Hahahah, was that you?? I remember going up Monitor's backside and hearing someone screaming down on the other side, but all I caught was "GNAAAaaa...*!" going by like a speeding train.

So. Uhm. WOW! That was about as soul-crushing as I needed it to be. Not to discourage anyone, but the difference between riding 3 and 4 passes was almost nothing. The difference between 4 and 5 was astronomical. You had to really really really want it. And I did. And so did a lot of people. It was *awesome* to see so many people slogging up the last pass with sheer grit and a thousand-yard stare into the horizon.

Something about freezing rain up the last bit of Carson, the fifth pass, almost made me turn around. Holysnot, being only 2 miles from the top wondering if I was going to make it (also the idea of having to turn around and descend in that crap, UGH!) It definitely killed the craving for the free ice cream, but I ate it anyway, shivering in my shorts, out of pure tradition and determination. When I turned into the last rest stop and got my pin, I burst into tears. What a trip!

(rest of my photos here, but I didn't take many given the day and all...)

-- gnat! (Ok, NOW WHAT should I do for the rest of the year??)

LOL, gnat!

I wasn't riding, I was a part of the cheering section on the infamous grassy knoll in beautiful downtown Markleeville.

Your hair and overall pinkitude was a great hit with the crowd, you had lots of people cheering for you as you went by! I'll post the photo I took of you but I took it too late, you were waving to your fans and at the angle I took it your arm pretty well obstructed your face. Darn!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    So. Uhm. WOW! That was about as soul-crushing as I needed it to be. Not to discourage anyone, but the difference between riding 3 and 4 passes was almost nothing. The difference between 4 and 5 was astronomical. You had to really really really want it. And I did. And so did a lot of people. It was *awesome* to see so many people slogging up the last pass with sheer grit and a thousand-yard stare into the horizon.

Something about freezing rain up the last bit of Carson, the fifth pass, almost made me turn around. Holysnot, being only 2 miles from the top wondering if I was going to make it (also the idea of having to turn around and descend in that crap, UGH!) It definitely killed the craving for the free ice cream, but I ate it anyway, shivering in my shorts, out of pure tradition and determination. When I turned into the last rest stop and got my pin, I burst into tears. What a trip!
    Gnat
    This is a GREAT ride report. It captures the essence of your event so well! Congrats on achieving something you wanted so much! You really earned that ice cream, the pin and those tears!!!
    Bork Bork, Hork Hork!!

Great report, Gnat. I saw you a few times throughout the day. I mean, really, the pink hair does make it hard to hide. Glad you had such a good ride.

It really is a beautiful event. I know it's hard and crowded (relatively speaking - do Tour de Tucson!), but it really is almost magical. And it is so great to read stories from first time finishers like this and, better yet, to be there with them when they make it. I confess to shedding some tears myself the last few times I have done it, mostly from relief and just emotion at seeing someone do something like that that they didn't think they could do. Whew!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

fantastic photo gnat, it actually brought tears to my eyes! You look like you've had some rough hours.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Week late on this thread too but wow. I'm really impressed that everyone finished. And ohh the rain. I hope it wasn't sleet like one year where only 100 or so die-hard riders managed to finish all 5 passes.

What's great is that everyone finished and finished safely. Soo is pass #4 the back side of Ebetts? Monitor-Monitor-Ebetts-backside of Ebetts- and Carson?