Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Curved tibia bones anyone?

To disable ads, please log-in.

My foot saga continues. No orthotics as of yet. Maybe getting casted next week if I don't back out. But this podiatrists I went to check out on the information that he was a triathelete. I thought, "Hooray, someone who knows a thing or two about cycling". Well...

He's not really that, but does some riding, and asked "do you clip in when you ride". Which, the other ones didn't even know what that was.

He said that rightie is killing me so because my tibia bone curves near the ankle. Also, my IT band there is really tight compared to leftie. Something surely is. He wants to cast me, and ordered PT for me (also a first). I'm not so sure he makes the orthotics I want, but I was intrigued by this bone observation.

Diff GF said this tibia curvature can be common in women and causes many problems with the feet/ankle/knees on how it affects body mechanics.

I told him I also have knee problems on that side. He responded, "I bet you do". Like, it's the bone, etc. Hmmm...

Anyone else know of this? Frankly makes a lot of sense to my issues...
    Last edited by Miranda; 12-05-2008 at 04:31 PM.

bones

I really can't give you any advice.
    I had to have my knee/lower leg exrayed about ayear ago for a bone bruise. My Dr. said I have the "bow-legged" lower leg but a straight femur so I"m not bow legged. The entire side of my dad's family is bowlegged.

I gues I'm proof that bones can be curved. Dr. thinks it is why I am pigeon-toed.

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by cyclechick2008 View Post
    I really can't give you any advice.
    I had to have my knee/lower leg exrayed about ayear ago for a bone bruise. My Dr. said I have the "bow-legged" lower leg but a straight femur so I"m not bow legged. The entire side of my dad's family is bowlegged.

I gues I'm proof that bones can be curved. Dr. thinks it is why I am pigeon-toed.

Kim
    Thx for chiming in. I guess my femurs are straight too. The curve is just in *one* tibia... rightie. Kinda weird. But then again... my mother always told me I was "special". Hmm, but she never specified as to "how".

What is the casting supposed to accomplish? I'd be VERY hesitant. Rehab from even two weeks in a cast can be significant (and DON'T let them tell you it isn't. I wound up with a truly awful case of elbow tendinitis because they told me to "resume normal activities" as soon as the cast on my hand came off).

If it was me I'd start with the PT (make sure you find a good one who knows about cycling) and go from there. But what do I know.

No two skeletons are alike, and there are a whole lot of variations - common and less common ones - that doctors like to label as "abnormalities."
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I will say a lot of "curved" bones are really weak ligaments not holding the bones where they are supposed to be.
    Also, curved bones are a sign of rickets!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    What is the casting supposed to accomplish? I'd be VERY hesitant. Rehab from even two weeks in a cast can be significant (and DON'T let them tell you it isn't. I wound up with a truly awful case of elbow tendinitis because they told me to "resume normal activities" as soon as the cast on my hand came off).

If it was me I'd start with the PT (make sure you find a good one who knows about cycling) and go from there. But what do I know.

No two skeletons are alike, and there are a whole lot of variations - common and less common ones - that doctors like to label as "abnormalities."
    Thx Oakleaf...

No casting of my leg bone. I hear ya, I've been put through the ringer before on other stuff and am now for the conservative approach. The casting is for my feet. To make the orthotics. Which I do need. My arches as SO high, nothing OTC comes close.

It was a major PITA to find a PT place within my ins network. I go in this week. It's at a orthopod surgeon practice & sports med center. I really hope their PTs know cycling. It's so limited for choices.

I had an awesome doc for some back issues that I took PT at her practice. She was a physiatrist MD and also an avid cyclist! BUT, she closed her practice & PT shop in the area.
    Last edited by Miranda; 12-08-2008 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    I will say a lot of "curved" bones are really weak ligaments not holding the bones where they are supposed to be.
    Also, curved bones are a sign of rickets!

I was reading up on the rickets. That's an interesting point. My leg on that side is weaker and was affected more when I got dx with some neurological disease (that in turns affects the muscles, etc.). Maybe the PT can help me to find ways to strengthen what function I have. Actually, I feel blessed mostly to even be able to do the things I can with my funky body medical hx.