Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thinking about a new bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, I've been thinking I'd like to get a second road bike. I love the ride on Fluffy, but as he's decked out right now, he's a bit heavy. It's not just the bags and such. It's pedals, wheels, tires etc...

So, I could get a cheap bike for commuting. Or I could get a brand new zippy bike with all the latest, greatest components.

So, if money didn't matter (I love playing this game) describe your ideal chariot for HRH Princess Zippy, the former Bag Lady.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Ooooh, oooh, oooh! Can I play?

Please tell Fluffy that I didn't mean to offend by calling him a her. Now, I'm going to have to put some thought into a companion worthy of his company.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Fluffy is only a him bcause the dog he's named after is.

So I've been to the Trek website - a Pilot seems to suit my style. Might as well go for the 5.9.

Litespeed - I didn't really have time to read all the specs. Ditto Colnago.

V.

TandemHearts.com

As a Trek lover I would Always pipe up about trying a Trek. I'd say since you've got Fluffy all decked out in the pretty commuter gadgets, you need a nice zippy FAST road bike with the latest and greatest! Of course if money truly Were no object - I'd say build yourself a Trek Project One! (I just saw one at my LBS this sat......they even let me hang on to it.....*sigh* thought I'd died and gone to perfect bike heaven!!)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

My husband had the Madone5.9 for two days before he retrieved his bike and loved it--he could hardly stand to return it. Colnago's sure are pretty, but our LBS calls them garage art and tell the story of the tiny rider (5'4, 115lbs) who had to deal with 4 broken Colnago frames in a year.

Personally, I think a princess deserves nothing less beautiful than a Columbine. Though it might not be in the right direction if you're looking for something light and zippy.

See, I'd love to deck Fluffy out in the light and zippy components. It just feels good to ride him. But I'd feel a little silly just getting another Rambouillet to set up as commuter/touring bike.

Good to know that about Colnago. As I will never be a light rider.

V - Zippity do da

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    So, I've been thinking I'd like to get a second road bike. I love the ride on Fluffy, but as he's decked out right now, he's a bit heavy. It's not just the bags and such. It's pedals, wheels, tires etc...
    A bit heavy? Good God woman!

Since you love the way Fluffy rides, maybe a custom Riv? After all, you and jobob are the Riv Girls...... I believe her Dusty is bunches lighter than Fluffy - and she's jo's zippy fast bike.

Ladies - you do realize if V gets a lighter bike we'll never see her again, she'll be whippin' up Diablo as fast as Lance....

I already thought about a custom Riv. Current wait time is TWO years. That's just too long for me. Please don't anyone take this the wrong way - but if I waited that long, I'd be forty before I got it. The whole reason I want a new bike is so I can keep up with the forty somethings who are kicking my butt now!

Vippy (?!?)

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen
    Ladies - you do realize if V gets a lighter bike we'll never see her again, she'll be whippin' up Diablo as fast as Lance....
    Yes, us old ladies have already expressed our concerns. I have to truthfully say we're rather terrified.

I believe her Dusty is bunches lighter than Fluffy - and she's jo's zippy fast bike.
    LOL, relatively speaking, that is !!! But yeah, the Waterford-era Riv Road bikes (circa 1996) do seem to be lighter than the current crop of Romulii and Rambouillets, altho I haven't actually weighed them to compare. The tubing certainly looks thinner on the Riv Road. But then I stuck a Nitto steel rack and big ol' canvas bag on her back.

But speaking of lightweight (!!), Lee and I packed up our panniers and did a 30 mile ride yesterday over some rolling terrain (my Paseo Padre Blvd. Mission Blvd. loop for you locals) to see how the bikes handle loaded up. All told, front and rear panniers, handlebar bag and water bottles come in at around 40 pounds. That's in addition to 28 pounds of Pokey with front and rear racks. Not to mention 140 pounds of me

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Waterfords and Herons are really nice too, and nowhere near the wait, or so I am told. There's a bike shop in Sausalito that carries Waterfords (if you still like steel, that is).

Steve Rex's bikes are gorgeous, and very popular in our neck of the woods.

http://rexcycles.com/

yum.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Talking ...he ain't heavy....

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    I love the ride on Fluffy, but as he's decked out right now, he's a bit heavy.
    Anybody remember Veronica screaming, "It's not heavy... It is NOT heavy" when were were in the parking lot before the Top Hat!!?? We almost couldn't pick him up!! I wish I could TIVO real life and play it back!

Oooh, red lugged carbon. I've always wondered how Titus' road bikes ride. I love my Racer X. One reason I started looking at Titus is because they've built for women for a long time and the wife of the president is heavily involved.

http://www.titusti.com/modena.html

Though I will say Steve Rex's wife rides a pretty cute mixte!

Just wondering... V., have you considered a SEVEN? Each frame is custom built for the owner. Then you choose each component that goes on it with your LBS. Check them out at http://www.sevencycles.com

An old friend in NYC recently got an Axiom SG... she's lovin' it. I think average order to delivery time is 21 days. I know Trek420's bike guy Chris (that I love dearly) deals with SEVEN.

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Talking new bike

I have been riding the Pilot 5.2 for two months and love it!! No more bumpy rides