Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Showerpass jackets

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,

I am looking for a windproof/rainproof cycling jacket. Showerpass century I like, but my question is, how does it fit, how is the cut, is it loose, flapping like a sail or is it a form fit?
    I am also looking at the Pearl Izumi Vagabond II jacket/vest (semi fit), but this is only wind/water resistant, I guess I could live with that, I don't think I will bike in the rain for to long.
    I like to bike in the winter and maybe on not so nice days, so any tips or experience with this two products? I know it will slow me down, of course, but I need the wintermiles...

Thanks for the help

Resi

I have the vagabound II, and its great for wind and visibility (screaming yellow) but it will get soaked in a rain.

I ordered and returned a showerpass elite jacket last year. It was very short in front and the arms and long in the back (designed to fit in the cycling position) but I found the fit too boxy and wanted something I could wear on or off the bike.

I exchanged it for the craft rain jacket here on TE which I am very happy with: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodCR_192156.html. It is also screaming yellow and waterproof. It is slimmer fitting. I wore it once, and then lost weight so now it is too big for me. I was just getting ready to post it in the for sale section right here on TE, but if you are interested (size M, perfect condition, worn once and laundered) send me a PM with an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl View Post
    I have the vagabound II, and its great for wind and visibility (screaming yellow) but it will get soaked in a rain.

I ordered and returned a showerpass elite jacket last year. It was very short in front and the arms and long in the back (designed to fit in the cycling position) but I found the fit too boxy and wanted something I could wear on or off the bike.

I exchanged it for the craft rain jacket here on TE which I am very happy with: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodCR_192156.html. It is also screaming yellow and waterproof. It is slimmer fitting. I wore it once, and then lost weight so now it is too big for me. I was just getting ready to post it in the for sale section right here on TE, but if you are interested (size M, perfect condition, worn once and laundered) send me a PM with an offer.
    Thanks very much for your infos. Also thanks for offering the Craft rain jacket, it is to big for me too.

With regards
    Resi

Check out the Castelli Amazzonia jacket on TE - it's semi fitted, waterproof, and it has great reflectivitiy.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

i have the showers pass, and i love it. it fits ME very well, no flapping
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I have it too, and I like the material and the attention to detail, but the fit isn't quite right for me either. I'm broad over the shoulders/upper back and arms, slender otherwise and flat-chested, and the jacket pulls a bit over the shoulders+arms on me. It's also a bit too boxy in the torso. But I like it and use it nonetheless.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I love my Showers Pass Elite jacket, but I don't mind that the cut is boxy. There's room to layer a littler, which is good for cold rain. I've never noticed that it flaps. My only criticism of the jacket is that it doesn't go down far enough in the back. I'd prefer if it had a longer "storm flap" or one that unsnaps down, like those on my Gore jackets. You can't beat it for features (ventilation, decent sized back pocket, pit zips, water repellency).

and if you have to put it into the washing machine, it doesn't get ruined (the Showers pass Elite)
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

DH has the "touring" version of the Showers Pass jacket. His only complaint: the pit zips, even when zipped, leak. Nothing like cold water running down your arm pit to get you moving in the morning!

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    DH has the "touring" version of the Showers Pass jacket. His only complaint: the pit zips, even when zipped, leak. Nothing like cold water running down your arm pit to get you moving in the morning!

CA
    Mine hasn't leaked, and it's been tested in some downpours. I wonder if his is defective and he can exchange it. Or maybe it's the "touring" model and the Elite is more water tight?
    Last edited by Velobambina; 12-01-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks for all the input's!

I guess I have to get the Showerpass century and the PI Vagabond II.

Be safe

Resi

I love the fit of the PI vagabound II, very sleek, and while its covenient that the sleeves zip off, you have to be careful that the jerseys you pair with the vest have long enough sleeves or the zippers rub against your upper arms after the sleeves are zipped off.