Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

There are a lot of ads I think are stupid, but they are just that: stupid. There are also products I wouldn't buy, but I don't care if they are advertised... for example, I don't think we need most of the technology stuff that's around, but that doesn't mean there isn't a market for it. It's all business.
    I know that when I couldn't afford some of the things I can have now, I did not care if they were on TV.
    It's more the implied prejudice that if you have a higher income it's bad.
    OK, off of my soapbox.

This is an interesting discussion, though I haven't seen the commercial. I admit to having the same prejudices - "haven't they got anything better to do with all that money??! but it's not a very well-founded idea on my part. I do feel that there is a moral limit to how much consumerism I find acceptable, that's an ecological question as well, but if you have a lot of money, it is really your own business how you spend it. Giving a good, sound car that will run for years, to somebody who really needs it, if you can afford it, is a brilliant gift when I think of it.

Anyhoo. What gets my goat around Christmas-time are the ads trying to get men to buy really expensive jewelry for their wives and playing on their bad conscience. Even the discreet kind - "Don't you think she finally deserves ... this?", which implies that the only two possible answers are "yes" or "no". *puke*
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I think this thread displays prejudice towards advertising executives.

Don't you realise how sensitive they are? You can't just go around hurting people's feelings like that.
    If it's not one thing it's another

Being from Canada, we haven't hit bottom yet, but I see the USA in the news every day. Come on everyone, it's almost christmas...let's not get upset over something we can't control. Everyone has their opinion, let's respect that and stop this thread. The only thing it creates is bitterness!!! If you have your family and health, money can't take that away.

I don't care what other people buy because I figure that if you earned the $$, you can spend it however you like, so long as it doesn't hurt other folks.

I do feel sorry for the people who feel the need to buy expensive stuff just to try to impress others. They will never fill that hole, unfortunately, and will never have enough. I know a lot of these kind of folks.

I was part of the working poor during my HS years through early adulthood, so I understand how these ads have the potential to offend. But you know what, even if I HAD that kind of money, I wouldn't want an expensive car for a gift. I think driving a economical, practical, modest car is "cool."

This falls under the category of each to his/her own.

I get more offended by ads that marginalize/degrade women and/or promote unrealistic role models for females (i.e., super skinny, airbrushed, etc).

I"m more offended by the current spate of still continuing payday cash ads, credit card ads, refinance your mortgage ads and other ads that to me appear be part of our current problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Silver View Post
    I agree with kjay.

I mean this constructively, but this is prejudice. You have no idea what the owners of those cars do or give in support of those in need. (Yes, I own a Lexus and a Mercedes, so you've made it personal to me and you don't know me).
    I was in no way speaking about the people who can buy the cars. Get one if you can afford it. Mazel Tov! My last bike cost more than some cars... I'm appalled about the inappropriate nature of an ad that suggests you should give a car, especially a very expensive one, as a gift during this time that is so difficult for so many. Volvo and some of the other car makers have toned down their ads this year to highlight their sales rather than to suggest the car should be a gift. I have no problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno28 View Post

Don't you realise how sensitive they are? You can't just go around hurting people's feelings like that.

SNORT!

Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno28 View Post

I've been watching that show "Mad Men".
    Those guys drink a lot...
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

No I'm not appalled.
    I have both given and received nice cars as Christmas gifts before, and so the ad did not bother me at all. I would not buy one this year, but I have no problem with whoever does.

I'm more amused about the seasonal recycled commercials. I'm waiting for the cologne ad that's now about 20 years old - the couple riding the horse in the snow. And then there's the Frosty the Snowman take-off of a men's electric shaver.

Car commercials have always been around for various reasons. Heard on the radio this morning that SUV sales are going back up now that the price of gas has come down again.
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by roadie gal View Post
    Volvo and some of the other car makers have toned down their ads this year to highlight their sales rather than to suggest the car should be a gift. I have no problem with that.
    We're in agreement then.

For the record: My Lexus is old and worth less than my Madone(I buy quality used and drive until the wheels fall off). The Mercedes is vintage and an investment that is appreciating 10%/year...not bad these days. New cars stink as an investment...that's why they have to advertise so much

I'm personally not into conspicuous consumption either...but to each their own. I'm not better for driving new vs. used or high end vs. low end - but I am better off by buying quality for less.

I teach our kids exactly what kjay says - unless your name is Bill Gates or "Sultan of Brunei", then someone will have more than you... It's amazing how unpretentious they are even though we live in an area that is considered affluent.

Thanks for the stimulating topic
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Here is what is really appalling to me: Wal-Mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down.

... shortly after the store's 5 a.m. opening time, shoppers "physically broke down the doors, knocking (the worker) to the ground."
    ... before the store was closed, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the worker's life.

I dislike those commercials as well.

More than that I am troubled by the "I've got mine, so screw you" mentality that is becoming more visible in our society. Where compassion is viewed as weakness, where offering a helping hand is confused as "enabling" by a pop psychology drenched population. I'm striving diligently to continue being weak and enabling.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeDutchess View Post
    Here is what is really appalling to me: Wal-Mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down.
    I think this might be the one thing we can *all* agree on.

And no, I just ignore the commercials, as I do all commercials. I buy what I need and what I really want, and pay no attention to what advertisers tell me I should buy. If my DH needed a new car, and I could get him one for a holiday present, I would. I drive an 8 year old VW most of the time (we have a newer element for road trips) and his car (which is now driven less than 2k a year because of biking) is a 10 year old volvo. My VW was a present (graduation) and is the only one in the fleet that was purchased new.

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...