Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I should have mentioned:

You can also still get high-end, short reach Shimano brifters that are 9 speed, and will allow you to run a triple up front. ( I just wanted an excuse to post a picture of my bike.) They are called the R600, are of Ultegra-level quality, and can be ordered through your LBS. They retail for way too much, like way +$300--but still cheaper than other options to run this kind of gearing on a road bike.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by lunacycles View Post
    I should have mentioned:

You can also still get high-end, short reach Shimano brifters that are 9 speed, and will allow you to run a triple up front. ( I just wanted an excuse to post a picture of my bike.) They are called the R600, are of Ultegra-level quality, and can be ordered through your LBS. They retail for way too much, like way +$300--but still cheaper than other options to run this kind of gearing on a road bike.
    Hi Margo
    The R600 9 speed is what you put on my wonderful bike, and in fact since then I also converted my older Rivendell Rambouillet to the same brifters, I like them that much. What a relief to be able to wrap my fingers securely around the brake levers, especially when descending steep hills that end in a T at a highway.
    But you can actually buy them retail for $272, here is where I got them last month:
    https://www.bikesonline.com/search_r...ase=ISTR600PAA

and this gives me an excuse to post of picture of them on my yummy Luna bike, with super low 9speed gearing as well... ....
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I also run R600 9-spd brifters on both of my bikes, with a 50/34 custom crank in front and a shimano XTR 11/34 in back. I run std ultegra brakes on my titanium isis, and center pull cantis on my travel isis to accomodate wider touring tires. Love the gearing and simplicity of a double.

I attached a pic of my travel isis. While the top tube is only 49 cm, notice that allows me to use a normal length stem and bars so more of my body weight can get over the front wheel than on a bike with a longer top tube and itty bitty stem and short reach bars (an issue being discussed over in another thread...........).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feronia5TE.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	8134  
    Last edited by Triskeliongirl; 12-10-2008 at 07:30 PM.

All these pictures I like! I just did a bike bathroom, I should have bought your photos for it.

Trisk- I really had to study that photo to see the SS Couplers, the frame is very good at camoflouging them. I really am put off garish SS Couplers.
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 12-11-2008 at 05:41 AM.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Trisk- I really had to study that photo to see the SS Couplers, the frame is very good at camoflouging them. I really am put off garish SS Couplers.
    Thanks, I had the bike cut by Bilenky. He did a really good job. The frame was NOS (new old stock), so to minimize repainting costs, he did the silver fade into the couplers which also masks their appearance. I picked up the frame for a song on ebay, but it was missing the fork, so he built me one and used the same silver paint on it. I also had him install the canti bosses so I could use wider tires than the frame was originally designed for. It makes a great travel bike, cuz I can put racy tires on it or touring tires, racks or no rack, depending on the planned use. Its a sport geometry so works for either fast riding or touring, and its Reynolds 853 steel which has a great stiff by comfy feel to it.

But its not my go fast bike, for that I ride my titanium isis which has a similar set up on it.

I have a Dura Ace 9 speed set up on my cyclocross bike. I changed the Dura Ace rear deraileur and cassette to an 11-32 cassette and XT long cage deraileur. In the front I have 46/38 rings. I have been much happier with this bike since I changed the gearing in the rear. I think my shifters might be worn out, and I am looking for new ones. 9 sp shifters are hard but not impossible to find. I just don't want to pay 300+ for them.

Betsy