Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cycling Shorts

Cycling Shorts

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone have any advice on choosing cycling shorts? I am particularly interested in shorts that are great for long distance (4+ hours) rides.

Thanks!

My most favorite shorts to date are by Pearl Izumi. I believe it is there Sugar short. They have a synthetic chamois that I believe is purple and another color though that was last seasons short. I have tried several different brands and they are still my favorite. The chamois is smooth it doesn't bunch. I also like the length of the short. It isn't too long hitting about mid thigh. I think they cost around $45. Hope this helps.

Jess

I use Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor shorts, and have worn them for years. They're good for both short rides and for all day rides.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Quote Originally Posted by brightlamp
    Anyone have any advice on choosing cycling shorts? I am particularly interested in shorts that are great for long distance (4+ hours) rides.

Thanks!
    I have worn Pearl Izumi's Ultrasensor for the past few years and have loved them ... until dh wrapped up a pair of PI's Microsensor shorts for my birthday. I fell in love - awesome but very pricey. But rather than 'save them for good' (a family saying) I have vowed to follow Erma Bombeck's advice and enjoy stuff like this rather than squirrel it away.
    On Yer Bike!

Some of the girls here recommended Performance Ultras and I have really liked them, better than the PI attacks, which seem to bunch up on the sides.

I really love my Cannondale, 8 Panel, Chrono's for women.

They have a 7" inseam (I can't stand all my cellulite hanging out), a nice thick padded bottom... and I LOVE THE LEG GRIPPERS! They are NOT PLASTIC... but instead... material and they grip just right... but not too tight!

I have only found them in a LBS for $80.

I like Sugoi's Ultrafino and Castelli's Donnas. The PIs seem to have too much chamois for me.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I just purchased some shorts by Sheila Moon. Not only are they comfy, but the waistband is different than any I've ever seen. Check out her website- sheilamoon.com- they are made in San Francisco!
    Nancy

Velo shorts are my choice

You might take a look at the women's short on the velowear site...I love them. Long rides or short, they are comfortable and don't seem to have any uncomfortable bits. The leg grip part doesn't strangle your leg. All in all, I really like them.

I'm a Shebeest fan, myself. My favorites are the Triple S short. I also have the Elite Distance shorts, but I've only worn them a couple of times, so the jury is still out. But they're definitely better than my PI's. I have the PI Microsensor (grey chamois) that is too big and bunches up in the girly bits for me. I like the Shebeest chamois because it's got a microfiber cover and is more slippery, hence, less bunching. The Elite Distance chamois is thicker than the SSS.

I have to say that I tried on some Assos Lady F1 shorts, and they were AMAZING, but at $135.00 a little too rich for my blood.

By the way BG, I can't get any product photos to come up on Sheila Moon's site. Anyone know a trick?

Quote Originally Posted by slinkedog
    By the way BG, I can't get any product photos to come up on Sheila Moon's site. Anyone know a trick?
    Same problem. I was trying to see all of her stuff last week.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Bellweathers Womens here. I tried the PIs and was allergic to something in the chamois. I've also worn Cannondales in the past.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

I like Terry T-Shorts--last years model, though. Unfortunately, I think they've changed their sizing. Mediums used to fit perfectly so I ordered two year pairs this spring only to discover the mediums fit too looser, which makes them less comfortable. Why do manufacturers do that? If they plan to change the sizing, they should warn their customers to size down from whatever they've been wearing.
    Last edited by Selkie; 05-20-2005 at 12:38 PM.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Quote Originally Posted by mickchick
    I like Terry T-Shorts--last years model, though. Unfortunately, I think they've changed their sizing. Mediums used to fit perfectly so I ordered two year pairs this spring only to discover the mediums fit too looser, which makes them less comfortable. Why do manufacturers do that? If they plan to change the sizing, they should warn their customers to size down from whatever they've been wearing.

sure it wasn't you sizing down??
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"