Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cycling Shorts

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just sent back some PI microsensors. I ordered them because there was a lot of endorsement of them...but they had baseball-like stitching in strategic parts of the chamois and it was stiff and uncomfortable. Those are the places I get rubbed too much so I don't get it.
    I just ordered some cannondales. I'll let you know how they work. That's what I wear now, but they are an older model called Chronos and they are starting to sag. Sigh. I guess to each her own.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbarb
    I just sent back some PI microsensors. I ordered them because there was a lot of endorsement of them...but they had baseball-like stitching in strategic parts of the chamois and it was stiff and uncomfortable.
    What? PI chamois are typically one piece now days. Did you get an older model? What color and texture was the chamois?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I bought them here, at TE. I sent them back today, so I don't have them to report on color, etc.

Thumbs up PI Microsensor short

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    What? PI chamois are typically one piece now days. Did you get an older model? What color and texture was the chamois?
    I have one those Microsensors (http://www.rei.com/product/47864388.htm) ($120), which I bought this summer from REI. Most of the chamois looks like synthetic leather with gel inside, then around that there's a lime-colored terry type of cloth.

The Microsensors have been really comfortable for me, especially on long rides I do on weekends. But I was taught to soften the chamois (especially the synthetic leather part) before every ride, be it with chamois creme, chamois butt'r or even vaseline. The stuff kinda builds up on it over time, and if you don't put the shorts in the dryer, they stay pretty soft.

I still think PI Ultrasensors (http://www.rei.com/product/47698602.htm) ($80) are slightly more comfy, but I'll have to see how they hold up vs. the Microsensors after a few months of riding.

By the way... PI Short Attack Road Shorts (http://www.rei.com/product/47864391.htm?) have the same PRT chamois as the Ultrasensors are on sale for $50 (down from $65). And if you subscribe to the REI e-mail list, they send you a code for a 10% discount.

Ok, no more advertising... but I hope that helped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37158.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	181651.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	346  

Cannondale Domestique shorts?

Anyone try Cannondale Domestique shorts? I have a pair of 10 panel velocity shorts that I like a lot, but was wondering if these 8 panels were good.

Try on many different ones until you find the ones that fit best (that is, if you are not buying off the web!). I have Hind shorts which I absolutely adore.

Question bibs anyone ?

Has anyone tried bib shorts? My SO just won an ebay auction for a pair of Descante (sp) bibs for me. I've been riding Performance women's classic short, but hate the way the chamoise bunches and pulls. I also have a pair of Louis Garneau that I have begun to love!

I have a pair of Castelli bibs and I like them. I guess I really don't notice the difference between shorts and bibs. Some people say the waist on shorts digs in after a while. I guess I haven't done a long enough ride to experience this! I do enjoy putting on the bibs and calling them my wrestling outfit.
    Last edited by tatormc; 09-07-2005 at 11:36 AM. Reason: waist digs in on shorts not bibs
    "He's really having to dig deeply into the suitcase of courage" Phil Liggett

Quote Originally Posted by tatormc
    I have a pair of Castelli bibs and I like them. I guess I really don't notice the difference between shorts and bibs. Some people say the waist on bibs digs in after a while. I guess I haven't done a long enough ride to experience this! I do enjoy putting on the bibs and calling them my wrestling outfit.
    I have a pair of bibs that I love! I always thought and heard the exact opposite - there is no waist on bibs, so there's nothing to dig in. They're very comfortable in that respect. It's just hard to find women's bibs.

My only concern about bibs is that they would be hard to take an off-road pee in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench
    I have a pair of bibs that I love! I always thought and heard the exact opposite - there is no waist on bibs, so there's nothing to dig in. They're very comfortable in that respect. It's just hard to find women's bibs.
    Me, too! I love Castelli (though not made any longer) and Descente bibs. The PIs are OK. I like that they don't dig in at the waist, they keep my lower back warmer in winter, on a really hot day mtbiking I can take off my jersey and the love handles don't show, and I can wear a shear mesh top (like Terry makes) and the love handles don't show. On the road I just pull my arms out of my jersey to take off the straps.

Mtbiking becomes a bit more of an issue because I wear a hydration pack but don't really care. Not in a hurry to get anywhere and I sure like no waist band on the shorts when I'm wearing a waist belt on the hydration pack.

The PIs come in a distant 2nd only because the straps are placed wrong for women. I have 2 pair of prototypes from several years ago before they went into mass production this year. The current model still had the same problem. Someone please explain to me why they placed the strap so it runs right across the nipples? Castelli and Descente don't do this.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by kaian
    Anyone try Cannondale Domestique shorts? I have a pair of 10 panel velocity shorts that I like a lot, but was wondering if these 8 panels were good.
    I found some of those Cannondale Domestique shorts on sale a few days ago ($40) and ordered a pair. I'll give you an update as soon as I try them out. Also let me know if you want the link for where I bought them... or if you found a better price, let me know where you saw them.

I just realized that I have quite a few pairs of shorts and one set of bibs, but most of them aren't that comfortable so I keep washing and wearing the same two pairs of PI's. I really need to find a less expensive short that I actually want to wear.

Has anyone tried Canari shorts? I ordered some Canari gel shorts ($32, down from like $70) from the same place. I always see heavily discounted Canari stuff and it makes me wonder whether the original price was inflated or whether the clothes just aren't that great. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Cari; 09-09-2005 at 08:56 AM.

Don't know who recommended them but.....

I just got 2 pair of the Performance Century Gel Short Shorts yesterday and wore my first pair today for my morning commute!!

The padding is very cushy and the chamois is deliciously soft but it's not so bulky you feel like you're wearing a diaper. The most wonderful thing I noticed was no stitching in the chamois and the side stitching was flatlocked. The ride was awesome, I rode in the drops all 6 miles and never shifted in the saddle to relieve any uncomfortable points. I'm planning on doing a 50 mile ride tomorrow which includes a 35 mile hill climb so I'll Really put them to the test. MHO right now: I'm holding myself back from ordering any more until after the long test ride tomorrow but I am all set to order 2 more! (Performance on sale for $34.95) oh and the 6" inseam: for 5'2" me the leg grippers hit right where my longer shorts left their rolled up tan lines so the length seemed to be just perfect.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

My shorts question is a little different. I have worn only Pearl Izumi shorts, with the exception of 1 pair from LLBean, so I don't know how other brands fit. My current problem is that after losing 25 pounds this summer, the legs are way too big even on a brand new pair of Pearl Ultrasensor Short shorts. So, are there any brands anyone can recommend where the leg circumfrance runs a little smaller?

ARRRGH! I have the opposite problem. I lost 18 pounds and shorts that fit in the legs are too big in the seat and middle section. I'm still not small in the above the knee zone. They sausage me.