Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ana, I have to echo the posts about getting a proper fit, especially with a fitter who has access to a Fitcycle.

Like I said earlier, I'm also 5-1 and needed sub-170 cranks. I always thought I needed 165s but when I was thoroughly measured, it turns out I needed a 167.5 because of the length of my femurs. Since I was making a substantial investment at the time (Red cranks + ceramic BBs) I wanted to make sure -- and I'm glad I did!

Also, I suggest you hook up with some local cycling clubs. Their members can be a treasure trove of good information (finding the most reputable shops/mechanic, how to get parts in your neck of the woods, borrowing/trading components, etc). Most have a forum or email list that is handy to get information out. My club is a tremendous support group for me and have always responded if I wanted to try out a new wheelset, saddle or stem. No need to go it alone when working on a bike fit!

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    Yes, that makes total sense. However, the OP isn't complaining about knee pain, so I'm not sure the crank length is the problem. Maybe the seat tube angle is part of it. Maybe she needs to adjust her reach shorter unlike my first guess, but I still think it's more likely a reach issue causing back and shoulder pain than a crank length problem. The cranks could be wrong for her build, but I don't think that's related much to the pain issue here.
    Yeah, I guess I have to approach one problem at a time

Also, I'm looking into joining some sort of bicycle club. I am also intimidated by bicycle club people with their sweet bikes and speed So...yeah, hopefully I'll find one this coming spring
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    Yeah, I guess I have to approach one problem at a time

Also, I'm looking into joining some sort of bicycle club. I am also intimidated by bicycle club people with their sweet bikes and speed So...yeah, hopefully I'll find one this coming spring
    I can so relate to this. I have been riding for almost three years now, I have a reasonably nice bike and some clothes *I* think are cute, and I"m pretty fit. But I'm still chicken to show up to one of the 2-3 club rides around where I live. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to keep up with at least the B group, but I'm totally afraid I will either be not one of the cool kids (wearing something just a little too fred, seatbag too big, something stupid like that), or my group riding skills will be judged not up to snuff (of course, that's a big catch-22 because you can't really get group riding skills without doing some group riding)...

Sigh...

It seems so much like high school.

Maybe if we try it we'll find that people are more generous and mature than we expect .