Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intentionally swerved at...

To disable ads, please log-in.

by a SCHOOL BUS! Unbelievable, this is a person who is supposed to be responsible for children and she was threatening me with a vehicle. At least there were not any kids on the bus at the time. I got her bus number and reported her..... What I really wish is that the punishment for these people was being required to take an effective cycling course...
    Last edited by Eden; 11-14-2008 at 04:48 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Did you call the school? This is probably the easiest call to make because it should be incredibly easy to identify the driver by time of day and route.

I did this when a UC Davis bus raced passed me to pull into a spot infront of me that was not a bus stop. This was on a regular evening ride. Never happened again after my call.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I called the transportation office for the district and spoke to a supervisor. I got her bus number, so she should be very easy to identify....
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

wow, Eden, what an awful thing to happen. What a jerk!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Eden, please let us know if you hear back from the school district. I am glad you could get the identifying info and report this. Chris got cut off two weeks ago by an SUV on 4th Ave., slammed into the back, got some face cuts--and the SUV left. No one had any identifying info. And I would SO have liked to talk to the SUV driver. His 30 year old Raleigh International fork and frame are bent.

Good on you for being able to report. Glad you're okay.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Buses have always seemed to get a lot closer to me than any other vehicle.
    Perhaps the drivers are not as good at judging the size of the vehicle compared to say a truck driver.
    Swerving at you is just plain sickening . So many jerks out there. Glad to hear you are ok.
    Last edited by Trekhawk; 11-14-2008 at 03:45 PM.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Did you call the school?
    Hmm, guess I should read more closely when multi-tasking.

Let us know what happens. Fortunately, I did hear back when I called in my incident.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk View Post
    Buses have always seemed to get a lot closer to me than any other vehicle.
    Perhaps the drivers are not as good at judging the size of the vehicle compared to say a truck driver.
    Swerving at you is just plain sickening . So many jerks out there. Glad to hear you are ok.
    There's no doubt it was intentional.... she came up behind me beeping first. There's a bike lane on the road, but it is right next to parked cars, thus dangerous to use. The road is 2 lanes with a middle turning lane and the lane itself is wide. I was just to the left of the bike lane - out of reach of car doors, but still well over in the lane. There was no reason she could not have easily gone around me. Oh - and its not like she was going anywhere that quick anyway. I was right behind her all the way down to the lid where I turned off to go through the tunnel... (that's about 6 or 7 blocks for those who don't know the area)

I'll have to call back to follow up. The supervisor gave me less than a lot of faith that he'd actually do anything... and he hung up on me while I was attempting to ask him to follow up with me.... (I wanted to give him my phone number)

This is the third time in just about a month I've been harassed for nothing more than not hugging the curb...... I'm getting a little sick of it.
    Last edited by Eden; 11-14-2008 at 04:54 PM.

That is inexcusable and I hope you follow up with the supervisor and the supervisor's supervisor AND the school.
    "The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we might become." Charles Dubois

Where was it, Eden?
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

On Martin Luther King Way, about 1/2 block south of Cherry. It was one of the 1/2 length busses (good thing, if it had been longer she probably would have hit me)... now I know what they say about the kids on the short bus , but c'mon now the driver is supposed to know better than that....

Wow, a special ed bus! Any bus driver needs to know better, but that's a double badness--those guys need to be able to manage their tempers and their judgment because they have to deal well with tough but vulnerable kids. Let me know if you need any help pursuing this through the school district.

Dare I suggest the police?
    Beth

If the bus supervisor had hung up on you, you need to move up. You did the right thing calling the supervisor first. Follow the chain of command and just keep moving up until you get some satisfaction. Call the superintendent of schools. The supervisor should take this very seriously, and if he doesn't then you need to complain about him/her also. You can request to be put on the board agenda if all of this doesn't work. Pretty time consuming, but it may keep others from being put in the same situation. Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by uforgot; 11-15-2008 at 03:40 AM.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I'd put it in writing to the bus supervisor, too, with a CC to the superintendent.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard