Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

I need help with color combinations!

Probably a weird question, but oh well.

I got my girlfriend a Motobecane Fantom Cross so she could try out CX racing with me. She doesn't know yet, so it'll be a surprise when she sees it.

The thing is, she's really into the aesthetics of the bike, and well, I'm a guy, what do I know. Their was a choice of this bike in gray, blue, and yellow. Yellow seemed the most girly to me.

Her other bike that I just sold had a pink and light blue color comination going on. She really liked it a lot.

How could I make this bike look a little bit more.. "cute?"

Just my opinion, but if she's looking to accessorize, then gray is the best color. She can use different bar tape, bottle cages, and tires for different looks, but with yellow, she'll be pretty limited.
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

If it was me, I'd take offense to have something made to be 'girly' for me. You can be feminine, and still not be 'girly'. But that is just logistics

I am sure some women don't mind the word 'girly', so don't mind me!

Did you already get the yellow bike and want to accessorize, or are you still deciding on colors?

my Bianchi had yellow on it and i got yellow bar tape for it.
    I hope she loves the bike. Perhaps she'd have more fun accessorizing it herself?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

hmm well if she likes pink accessories, i would've gone with the blue or gray bikes.

this bike might be getting somewhere with yellow tires, white saddle, bottle cages and bartape.

You can completely accessorize it to whatever colors you like. Purple would be fun with the yellow. Bar tape, and go crazy at www.purelycustom.com -- screws, bolts, bottle cages, and more. Go to jagwire.com for cable crimps in colors too. What's her favorite color?
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Will she be using the same gear she owns now that matched the sold bike? If so, you might want to consider that in the new bike color. If she is really into the colors, she might feel like she needs to get all new gear to match the new bike if she thinks things clash.

If the fashion of the gear is not your thing, you may be saying... umm, I dunno what she has in colors. That's ok. Can ya snoop in the closet to check out her stuff? Or ask one of her GFs that knows her stuff well. Lastly, if she has a fav lbs sales rep that she picks stuff out from, ask them what her style is.

Btw, the yellow is fun, but the gray is more neutral to bling it out as posted. My bike is white/black/brushed silver. If I get "color sick" of one thing, switching out the rest of the stuff is cheap.

Nice gift regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by 1150A View Post
    Yellow seemed the most girly to me.
    I'm (mostly)stayin' outta this one.
    But Bleeker St., you have a good eye. Yellow and red would be fierce!
    Fire colors!!
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Make it hot!

Yellow and red are good, but a little too mustard and ketchupy, add some orange, make it Fiery!

yeah i thought about red b/c of the logos...and then I thought of French's mustard...

Blue and yellow is cool. I'd say either match saddle and tape or tires and tape.

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    tires and tape.
    That sounds good to me too.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I don't know. Isn't nixing yellow and red because it reminds one of mustard and ketchup a bit like nixing blue and yellow because they remind one of CookieMonster and BigBird?:

Or like red and blue being too much like Superman?
    I mean, there is no existing 2-color combination that doesn't already have multiple common visual associations.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, tires and tape. Tell your friend to go check out Color Theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complem...r#Color_theory

It says purple is the way to go. I have a purple bianchi w/ yellow tires. SWEET.