Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

To disable ads, please log-in.

I don't know. Isn't nixing yellow and red because it reminds one of mustard and ketchup a bit like nixing blue and yellow because they remind one of CookieMonster and BigBird?:

Or like red and blue being too much like Superman?
    I mean, there is no existing 2-color combination that doesn't already have multiple common visual associations.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Doesn't someone know color theory? Something about the blue and yellow is (I think according to color theory) right.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Well red yellow and blue are the three primary colors. Thus, yellow & blue cannot be any more 'right' than blue & red or red & yellow.
    You might be thinking of 'complimentary colors', but for that you need 6 colors: yellow, orange, red, violet, blue, and green....laid out in a color circle. Then you pick the colors directly opposite each other (which you can't do with a simple 3 color primary triangle), such as blue and orange, or green and red...and those are complimentary. The complimentary color to yellow would be violet.
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 11-14-2008 at 06:34 PM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'd like a promissory note for a custom headset cap of my sweetie's design. I'd get to pick the color and accessorize from there.

http://www.purelycustom.com/p-168-18...hreadless.aspx
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    I'd like a promissory note for a custom headset cap of my sweetie's design. I'd get to pick the color and accessorize from there.

http://www.purelycustom.com/p-168-18...hreadless.aspx
    That's what my sweetie did. He picked out a few and designed them, but then we did a few together - - our names and hearts.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

I think you're safest using one of the accent colors already on the bike frame. Or you can wait and let her chose. BTW, I would like some natural/cork/leather colored accents on that.

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    Well red yellow and blue are the three primary colors. Thus, yellow & blue cannot be any more 'right' than blue & red or red & yellow.
    You might be thinking of 'complimentary colors', but for that you need 6 colors: yellow, orange, red, violet, blue, and green....laid out in a color circle. Then you pick the colors directly opposite each other (which you can't do with a simple 3 color primary triangle), such as blue and orange, or green and red...and those are complimentary. The complimentary color to yellow would be violet.
    Interesting. When we do light in physics, I sometimes compare (contrast?) the three primary light colors (red,green and blue) to the primary colors of paint that they learned in school because they are different. I didn't know about the complimentary colors and the circle that you mentioned, or maybe I forgot? I know you have mentioned being a graphic artist, so I'll use this info and make even MORE comparisons to the colors of light and credit you as "I once bought a saddle from a graphic artist and she said..." . More experimentation, more hands on means more learning. Thanks.

I also like the red idea because of the lettering. I like things to match to a point, and I think that would pull the whole bike together. Be careful of too much red though, (tires,bottlecage,saddle,bartape all at once) because the reds probably won't match or it will look like you tried too hard. Not that YOU tried too hard to please her, but when she takes it out. Although maybe that's just me...
    Last edited by uforgot; 11-15-2008 at 04:08 AM.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    The complimentary color to yellow would be violet.
    I guess I like insulting colors

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    Interesting. When we do light in physics, I sometimes compare (contrast?) the three primary light colors (red,green and blue) to the primary colors of paint that they learned in school because they are different. I didn't know about the complimentary colors and the circle that you mentioned, or maybe I forgot? I know you have mentioned being a graphic artist, so I'll use this info and make even MORE comparisons to the colors of light and credit you as "I once bought a saddle from a graphic artist and she said..." . More experimentation, more hands on means more learning. Thanks.
    It has to do with how the color is being made, additive (light) or subtractive (pigment). The primary colors of LIGHT are red, blue, and green, which is why web colors are given in RGB code. So #005599 uses no red, 33 units (I forget how it's measured) of green, and 99 units of blue to create that light, slightly greenish blue. The primary colors of PIGMENT are red, yellow, and blue, which is why restaurants give out those three crayons to make kids reasonably happy with their color dining experience. Combining the three primary colors of light gives you white, and combining the primary colors of pigment gives you black or brown.
    Last edited by Transmutable; 11-15-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Transmutable View Post
    It has to do with how the color is being made. The primary colors of LIGHT are red, blue, and green, which is why web colors are given in RGB code. So #005599 uses no red, 33 units (I forget how it's measured) of green, and 99 units of blue to create that light, slightly greenish blue. .
    I learned about colors in photography. The visible spectrum of light is made up of all colors, going from longest to shortest is ROYGBIV(red,orange,yellow,green,blue,indigo,violet). This would be the same as Uforgot's experience in physics.
    I think you use the additive principle when you use RGB

Now when it comes to printing photographs your assertion is correct, we learned it as a subtractive principle using cyan, yellow, and magenta filters.You see the same principle in adjusting color balance in Photoshop.

Therefore Mr.1150A,the best accent colors to use are up to the bike owner

Maybe you should get some swatches from the paint store.
    Last edited by Zen; 11-15-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Transmutable View Post
    It has to do with how the color is being made, additive (light) or subtractive (pigment). The primary colors of LIGHT are red, blue, and green, which is why web colors are given in RGB code. So #005599 uses no red, 33 units (I forget how it's measured) of green, and 99 units of blue to create that light, slightly greenish blue. The primary colors of PIGMENT are red, yellow, and blue, which is why restaurants give out those three crayons to make kids reasonably happy with their color dining experience. Combining the three primary colors of light gives you white, and combining the primary colors of pigment gives you black or brown.
    Combining paint, I never could quite get the black, but three flashlights and filters in a dark room is cool. White every time and the kids ooh and ah. Actually, it's the circle thing with the compliments I thought was interesting. I think it would be fun to see how aesthetically pleasing the light circle would be (adding yellow magenta and cyan) with the color opposite. Seeing it from an artist's view rather than science. I'm thinking that if I can put it in this perspective, and talk about accessorizing with the opposites, those kids are gonna remember them. Didn't know about the restaurant crayons either. More cool fun stuff to impart.

Now, has anyone ever heard that you can put any color with green? My mom used to tell me that everything matches green because green grass is the basic color in nature, therefore that makes it compatible with all colors. I should also say that my mother was never, ever wrong, so it's taken me a long time to question some of her "wisdoms". If this is true, then kelly green bar tape would work!
    Last edited by uforgot; 11-15-2008 at 05:47 PM.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    Now, has anyone ever heard that you can put any color with green? My mom used to tell me that everything matches green because green grass is the basic color in nature, therefore that makes it compatible with all colors. I should also say that my mother was never, ever wrong, so it's taken me a long time to question some of her "wisdoms". If this is true, then kelly green bar tape would work!
    I'd say it's fairly true. I've heard that since green is the most common color in nature, the human eye has evolved to be very sensitive to it, so we see a wide range of greens and are pretty good at telling subtle differences. On the other hand, there's a limit to how well green can complement other colors. For example, you can't really have a reddish green or a greenish red, because they're opposite each other on the color wheel.

However, getting back to bikes, a kelly green would look killer. It makes me think of mountain dew cans and lots of energy and going fast! Mmmm, bikes, color theory, and science!

Yes, tires and tape. Tell your friend to go check out Color Theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complem...r#Color_theory

It says purple is the way to go. I have a purple bianchi w/ yellow tires. SWEET.