Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Anyone here like the Selle-Anatomica??

To disable ads, please log-in.

My spouse has taken to this saddle lately and I am curious about whether there are any women on this board that ride/like it.
    Last edited by salsabike; 11-07-2008 at 07:10 PM.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Kit has one and tried it on her road bike for a while. It ended up not being for her. You want me to say something to her and let you try it for a while? Someone ought to get use out of it, don't ya think? It's black w/ copper rivets. Since it has the cutout, she had some sag in the middle after some use, so she used leather to lace it. It worked much better after that but since she doesn't ride road bike anymore, it is going unused. (doesn't feel right on her Kona) We can ship it up there or drop it off sometime when we come up for a visit. Let me know in a PM as I've not had the time to hang here much lately.

X.
    Last edited by Xrayted; 11-07-2008 at 07:44 PM.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    I am curious about whether there are any women on this board that ride/like it.
    I resisted trying this saddle but my beloved Terry Butterfly (and its subsequent newer models) were no longer comfortable. I tried no less than a dozen saddles before I allowed myself to give it a go. I now ride this saddle exclusively. I have it on both my road bikes and commuter. I'm not even aware of a saddle when I ride. I suggested it to my son and he's now a convert also. I typically ride about 3,000 - 4,000 miles per year with a minimum distance per ride of 50 miles.
    Susan

Try not. Do or do not... there is no try.
    Yoda

2004 Airborne WASP (road)/Selle An-Atomica
    2010 Bike Friday New World Tourist (commuter)/Selle An-Atomica
    2010 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro/Selle An-Atomica

I really liked mine until it sagged too much and couldn't be tightened anymore. I even laced it, which worked for a while, but still got a bit saggy.

I've seen a couple of other SAs in person, and others seem to just let it sag & find it comfortable. I tried to keep mine pretty tight because when it got hammock-y, the cutout would chafe me and it would make me feel like my saddle was too low. If I'd been able to let it be a little looser, it probably would have worked.
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

I have 2 of them, one has between 3,000-4,000 miles on it. They support my sit bones well, and the nose just disappears. I was having trouble with saddle sores because of the width of the nose of my old Terry Zero saddle, and the An Atomica completely cured that problem. My only complaint is that it can be slippery. With the wrong shorts, I feel like I'm going to slide right off the front. I sometimes will ride with slippery shorts anyway because I think it must be a good core workout, but it's pretty frustrating. Terry T shorts work well with it.

I've added tension to mine maybe 4 times over the past year, less than I'd like to because I'm trying to make it last longer. I can see that it will continue to stretch, so it probably has a life of a couple of years for me (maybe it will last to 10,000 miles, which I'd be happy with). When the tension bolt is at its end, I'll be replacing it with the same exact model. It's comfortable, well made, and I like the style.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    My only complaint is that it can be slippery. With the wrong shorts, I feel like I'm going to slide right off the front. I sometimes will ride with slippery shorts anyway because I think it must be a good core workout, but it's pretty frustrating. Terry T shorts work well with it.

I used to have this problem with my Brooks leather saddle until I was fitted properly to my bike. Now it's What Saddle?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I have this saddle and I love it!

I now have two Terry Butterfly saddles sitting in my closet, never to be used again.

Anyone interested in them?

Lynette

I have read that this saddle doesn't need to be tensioned as often as a Brooks.
    I also got it in my head from somewhere that SAA's only come in one size. Is this right?

I need either this or the old standby Brooks for the Mariposa.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by susan.wells View Post
    . I now ride this saddle exclusively. I have it on both my road bikes and commuter. I'm not even aware of a saddle when I ride. I typically ride about 3,000 - 4,000 miles per year with a minimum distance per ride of 50 miles.
    +1

Same here.

Bump.

I was looking at the Selle An Atomica website to see if they had pink saddles (for another thread) and noticed that you can send your old An Atomica back and they will replace the leather for something like $75 when it wears out. I'm probably at around 7,000 miles on my red one, and I'm still comfy, and have lots of room left on my bolt, but it's good to know I have that option. I still love these saddles!

However, the Terry T shorts I loved in the above post are no longer working for me. I think they've finally worn out. Now the shorts I used to think were slippery are my most comfy, and no longer slippery at all, go figure. I just ordered some Shebeest knickers from TE since all my knickers are too far gone, too. I'm hopeful that they're going to be great. Sounds like they have a thinner chamois, which I'm looking forward to trying.