Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Finally did it!

Finally did it!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi!
    I've been wanting to try a bike race for years now and I finally did it! My first race ever was the Northampton Cyclocross race! It's funny- what I thought was going to be hard was relatively easy (like dismounting, mounting) and what was easy ended up being really hard. I thought riding for 40 minutes was going to be no problem because I'm relatively fit and feel comfortable on the road, but riding at my maximum aerobic threshold level for that long seemed impossible! I kept wondering when the recovery was going to come and it never did! But the course was great! I was super nervous about riding with so many riders since we had a huge field, but it ended up being the easy part I thought.
    It was a great learning experience and I definitely took away a couple battle scars. I now know that I need to train differently before the next race. If you have any training suggestions, I would love to hear them. I can't wait to get back in there (and not get my butt kicked, I hope)!

Congrats, and welcome to cross! And don't worry, it's fun even when your butt is fully kicked!!

welcome to psycho-cross

CX is so hard, but somehow so fun at the same time. A high intensity burst of craziness.

My mom and I recently hosted a cx weekend for the locals. 'Twas a lot of fun.

/sydney
    Last edited by sydney_b; 11-20-2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: don't need to signatures
    -------------------------
    http://sydspinnin.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by awats View Post
    I kept wondering when the recovery was going to come and it never did!
    It was a great learning experience and I definitely took away a couple battle scars. I now know that I need to train differently before the next race. If you have any training suggestions, I would love to hear them. I can't wait to get back in there (and not get my butt kicked, I hope)!
    Sounds just like CX !! It's pretty much go hard from the gun until the final line. WONDERFUL sport and a blast.

See post for a CX-specific camp that will be next September. Super way to combine vacation and CX skills and training.

There are some pretty sweet CX-specific workouts. Though as in much of cycling, threshold work prior to race season, with in it and then some neuromuscular work and sharpening as you get into the season.