Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

rear shock question

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a Fox Float R shock on my full-squish MTB. I've been experiencing the feeling of the bike wanting to buck me off, so to speak, after a big hit. I'm attributing this to the fact that my rebound is still too high, even after decreasing it as much as possible with the rebound knob. FWIW, I'm a pretty lightweight rider at ~120 lbs., so that probably has some bearing on this situation.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to correct it? I'm considering sending the shock off to be re-tuned, but I wanted to hear some feedback from others first, before I spend the money.
    Last edited by Becky; 11-06-2008 at 08:37 AM.

What is the sag on the shock? If you very gently sit on the bike while someone holds it, how far does the shock compress? It should be only 20-30% of its full travel. Could you have too much air in the shock? I know I tend to use less air than the charts recommend depending on the bike.

If you're going to have it re-tuned, call Push Industries and have the stable platform valving, ProPedal, installed. It is soooo worth it.

http://www.pushindustries.com/servic...20Air%20Shocks
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

you can usually find the sag settings/manuals online if you want to check that first.

My approach is to hit the LBS and ask the guys to help me tune the settings. I just did this with my stumpy as I was having issues with the front shock.

Most of the air shocks come from the factory at 160 lbs. The shock should be set at 10 lb. below your body weight. Check that first.

Fox does not give a specific lbs to set the shock. They want you to have 20% sag on the chamber. At the dirt demo at Interbike, that is how the Fox guys were setting up their bikes.

Go to this website for more information:

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...007_om_eng.htm

I have set the sag for the shock to ~20% per the manual, and am running ~130 lbs. of pressure right now. I'm happy with the compression, but maybe I need to play with the air pressure further.

The shock already has ProPedal installed- it's just not user-adjustable like the RP23 is. My Float R is currently factory-set with the lowest compression range (1 of 3 settings), and the middle rebound range (2 of 3 settings). I'm hoping that I can get the rebound range dropped to 1.
    Last edited by Becky; 11-06-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    My approach is to hit the LBS and ask the guys to help me tune the settings. I just did this with my stumpy as I was having issues with the front shock.
    I now have a Rockshox Revelation fork which is smarter than I . . . sigh.

It goes over stuff real well though.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.