Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: yeaaa!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Optimism is a beautiful thing. It is hard with the recent economy and war to be hopeful about anything. If people are happy, thats good. I just hope that nothing changes for the worse, and as he himself said "there will be setbacks" and that will stink. The country is definitely going to change.......

I think most of us could have a more heated argument over whether steel, titanium, carbon, or aluminum frames are a better ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    I think most of us could have a more heated argument over whether steel, titanium, carbon, or aluminum frames are a better ride.
    And it gets almost bloody if you want to debate triple, double, compact double. And I have seen it get nasty in the cycling world over 105 vs. Ultegra or Shimano vs. Campy.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Carbon. Definitely carbon.

WSD a marketing hype? Everyone run!!
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I personally feel intimidated at this forum because I don't happen to worship at the steel-bikes-and-brooks-saddles church .

And sometimes I feel like I just don't belong here, because merino wool, regardless of what anyone says to the contrary, makes me itchy...
    Last edited by VeloVT; 11-05-2008 at 08:18 AM.

I realize I'm in the minority on this board when I say that Barak Obama was not my choice for president, but he still will be my president. I refuse to treat our new president-elect the same way others have treated the current president. Those that voted against Obama should set a higher standard of civility and citizenship than those that didn't vote for Bush in the last election. This doesn't mean I'll ignore different principles, but it does mean that I'll give him a chance. I hope he rises to the occasion.
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    I personally feel intimidated at this forum because I don't happed to worship at the steel-bikes-and-brooks-saddles church .

And sometimes I feel like I just don't belong here, because merino wool, regardless of what anyone says to the contrary, makes me itchy...
    Don't worry there is an ignore button for you.
    Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by oxysback View Post
    I realize I'm in the minority on this board when I say that Barak Obama was not my choice for president, but he still will be my president. I refuse to treat our new president-elect the same way others have treated the current president. Those that voted against Obama should set a higher standard of civility and citizenship than those that didn't vote for Bush in the last election. This doesn't mean I'll ignore different principles, but it does mean that I'll give him a chance. I hope he rises to the occasion.
    Nicely put. Disagree respectfully the man is still our elected leader for the next four years. You may not have voted for them but you were given the freedom to vote against him and will have it again in 2012.
    Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by oxysback View Post
    Well said. While I did vote for Obama, I definitely agree with your sentiments. I hope that even if one doesn't agree with Obama's politics, one can at least respect that he's a smart man and good politician who wants to do right by his country. I believed the same thing about McCain, and had he been elected, I still would have still gotten behind him and been ready to move forward as a nation.

I'm happy that Obama won, but I remain cautiously optimistic about where things will go in the next four years.

And those of you who have been personally affected by marriage/adoption amendments, my deepest sympathies are with you. My boyfriend and I have lived in Illinois, Wisconsin (passed a ban in '06), and now Arizona (voted down a ban in '06). We had often talked about how if we got married, it would be here in AZ, because we could feel better about getting married in a state that had voted down a constitutional gay-marriage and civil-unions ban. But then Prop 102 passed yesterday. I think this new measure passed because it was "just" about "marriage," and... blah. I just don't see any reason for something like that to belong in a constitution.

ETA: I realize that my concerns about where to get married are relatively minor, considering that many people can't get married to the person they love at all, or have been married and now fear that the state will dissolve it. I guess I'm just trying to illustrate that LGBT rights are not something I take lightly, or write off because it "doesn't affect me." I worked long and hard to fight Wisconsin's ban in '06, and donated money to the fight against Prop 102 in AZ, and unfortunately... well, we all know how those turned out now.
    Last edited by badgercat; 11-05-2008 at 08:30 AM.

To be honest, when I clicked on this thread earlier this morning, I knew trouble was coming. There is no rule against discussing politics here, but we have had a general agreement against it, as well as religion, as trouble usually ensues.

And it did.

I'm amazed that anyone is surprised by that.

BTW, I did vote for Obama and am certainly pleased by the outcome. But I don't expect everyone to agree or be happy about it.

I can't say that I've noticed that trouble actually occurred. Someone who was unhappy with Obama being president got to express their opinions on it - Noone attacked her on it or called them names. And vice versa, no McCain supporter's attacked an Obama supporter.

A dissenting opinion is not trouble. It's good that there's more than one opinion. And I know all of the people who don't agree about steel, wool, carbon, doubles vs. triples don't feel marginalized or brooks saddles don't feel marginalized and leave because of all the people that love them on here - and the same should apply to politics and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Presto View Post
    I went to bed anxiously, hanging on to a last shred of optimism. I woke up in despair. And just can't stop crying.

I'm not married any more.

My soul said I was married. My family said I was married. My minister said I was married. My church said I was married. The State of California said I was married. Even our photographs said I was married.
    I'm so sorry {{{{{Presto}}}}}.. The country has come so far but has so much further to go...
    Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child playing with matches

We all love and respect each other and our country, thats what makes America so strong. After 9-11 thousands of people pulled together and supported each other, the flag was everywhere. Obama won't wear an amercan flag pin. The country he now represents. Problem? Yeah, I know, ignore button. He is my president and I will respect him. I hope he respects us.
    Now if you will excuse me, I need to go find a new mountain bike on ebay. I'll post photos when I get it.
    Last edited by kermit; 11-05-2008 at 08:47 AM.

look again kermit, I believe he had a flag pin on last night. I do not wear a flag pin. That does not mean I do not love my country.