Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: yeaaa!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    I was just wondering... how are they going to enforce this? What if you're single (gay or straight) and you adopt a child legally... then start having a relationship with someone WITHOUT being married ()

It seemed like, even though they say "all unmarried couples" that the bill initiative was very focused on gay people.
    It was. That was the stated agenda.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

I was in Prince William County VA the night befor the election, to see what now is the last speech made by SENATOR Barack Obama. Rumor has it there were 90-100,000 of us there.

I am proud that now the notion that 'yes you can grow up to be the president' seems a lot more reachable to a large portion of our population. I'm glad I could be a part of it.

I thought both candidates made wonderful speeches last night, and I hope the spirit of that continues for President-elect Obama's term.

And I'm sorry to hear of so many initiatives that passed that just legalize hate and discrimination, and I'm especially sorry for those of you that are personally affected, though one could argue that it affects us all. Maybe this administration can do something to change some attitudes. I'm sure hoping!
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    I'm happy, too!

A local city had something on the ballot about making pot a "low priority" for local police. I think it's going to pass.

We also have a sad anti-gay marriage initiative, which eliminates unmarried couples (gay or straight) from being foster parents. I think it's going to pass, and I'm sad about that.

What was your weird issue on the ballot?

Karen
    We have prop 8 banning gay marriage. I think it is going to pass as well. they are counting every vote. It makes me sad because I have very dear friends who just want to be happy and they are sooo ment to be together and I can see why being married would be important to them.Sigh!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs View Post
    I hope I am wrong, but I am terrified. Probably I wouldn't care so much except for Andy. The first steps will be to suppress any opposition, then the civilian security force, then who knows.

vickie
    As a watcher from across the pond, I think there is little reason to be afraid, just as there is little reason to believe this equals the second coming and everything will be just peachy.

It would not have been much different the other way round.
    There's no complete control of congress for the dems, there are obligations and loose ends.

I am very sorry about the individual decision that cut into people's lives.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs View Post
    I was hoping not to see anything like this on my safe haven, TE.
    Just so you know we are not all celebrating. I hope I am wrong, but I am terrified. Probably I wouldn't care so much except for Andy. The first steps will be to suppress any opposition, then the civilian security force, then who knows.
    I couldn't even read this whole thread. I hope I am wrong.
    vickie
    I am truely sorry things did not work out in your favor. For some of us we were in that boat for 8 years. But I always give a chance to whoever is in office and soemtimes it works and other's it doesn't. MCcain ran a really hard race and a race that will never be forgotten. They are both very good men. But we need change. I hope your fears don't happen. Sincerly.

I had my radio on last night, bit old fashioned yes but thats the next bet thing when you don't have a TV.

I listened to Sen. McCain's concession speech. I thought it was wonderful. He sounded like a real statesman. Grand, honorable, respectful. Had he run his campaign like his speech last night, I think Sen. McCain could have won.

We voted against hate, we voted against divisiveness. Just as Sen. McCain said in concession speech, let the healing begin.

Yes I cried when Sen. Obama was declared the winner, not because Sen. McCain lost, but rather Sen. Obama won, the nation won and hopefully we will have less hate... Yes I voted for Sen. Obama. And I cried when I heard Sen. McCain's grateful honest speech. There was no hate. I wish Sen. McCain well in his twilight years and his battle ahead with his cancer.

----------------
    The joy of "yes we can" is tempered with passage of prop 8 here in California. I am very very disappointed with its passage. But there will come a time when prop 8 will be overturned. Time marches forward and I hope our social values really do move toward all men are created equal.

Smilingcat

Someone had posted:

"I was hoping not to see anything like this on my safe haven, TE.
    Just so you know we are not all celebrating. I hope I am wrong, but I am terrified. Probably I wouldn't care so much except for Andy. The first steps will be to suppress any opposition, then the civilian security force, then who knows.
    I couldn't even read this whole thread. I hope I am wrong."

People, this is precisely why I have objected so strenuously to political and religious discussions on this forum

Believe it or not, there are people on this forum who do not happen to share the political and/or religious beliefs of (what appears to be) the vocal majority of posters on this forum.

I think everyone's beliefs and convictions should be respected here.

And when people who don't believe as the apparent vocal majority encounter threads like this, they must be very intimidated and might even feel that they do not "belong" on TE.

Which is sad and unnecessary.

This, people, is why I stand firmly on my opinion that politics and religion do not belong here.
    Last edited by jobob; 11-05-2008 at 07:51 AM.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Someone had posted:

People, this is precisely why I have objected so strenuously to political and religious discussions on this forum

Believe it or not, there are people on this forum who do not happen to share the political and/or religious beliefs of (what appears to be) the vocal majority of posters on this forum.

And when people who don't believe as the apparent vocal majority encounter threads like this, they must be very intimidated and might even feel that they do not "belong" on TE.

This, people, is why I stand firmly on my opinion that politics and religion do not belong here.
    I would normally agree except for the fact that this is an exceptional election for both sides And being calm rational adults i don't see any harm in celebrating. But I am sorry if this hurts anyone feelings. There are a lot of hurt people out there right now and I feel for them. Sorry again if this upsets anyone. We can stop now if that would make people feel better.

Someone had posted:

YES. I think this is exactly right. There are other places for political discussions. I would really like EVERYONE on TE to feel welcome here.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Oh, and thank you to those who have posted here and on various other threads the little snarks about whether or not it's "allowed" to discuss politics on this forum - you know who you are.

Listen gang, I'm just trying to respect the views of everyone here. And to keep the intimidation factor down as much as possible.

And I do want to applaud you all for keeping it very civil and respectful throughout this long and sometimes nasty campaign (snarkly little asides and avatars and sig lines notwithstanding). Some forums have not been so understanding.

So cheers, everyone !

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Which is why I asked that everything remain in this thread. I'll leave it to Susan and Jeff to decide if it stays or goes; but last night was too big to not let everyone express their feelings.

I spent most of the night on another forum, we ended up with over 400 posts in one thread -- all civil, all respecting each others beliefs and choices. Lots of good natured ribbing, and joy from both sides. (I haven't looked at it today, who knows if it's still a pleasant read)

Someone had posted:

I debated whether to post this, and I hope others will read it in the helpful spirit in which it was intended.

There are lots and lots of threads and responses to threads on TE that I find offensive. I put them on ignore. There are some users I routinely find either offensive or to make too many personal attacks. I put them on ignore too. I'm in the minority on a lot of issues on TE - I either ignore them, or read them without letting them get under my skin. And no, I don't always feel like I "belong" here.

If folks don't want religion and politics on TE, that's fine. I think it's a fair choice. But I don't think it's appropriate to be selective about it and I think that would ban a lot of threads that others don't seem to have found offensive (just as an example - the recent tattoo thread -- it's an awesome tat, I wasn't offended by the thread, but the content of the post is predominately religious).

Respectfully,

CA

ETA - I'm not sure if I'm one of the people considered "snarky" or not, but yep - I got a little frustrated when I was attacked for complaining about TV ads (in a non-partisan way), and then others posted at length about political phone calls, etc. without being criticized. After that, I tried to keep my comments circumspect enough to not offend anyone. If by doing that, I offended, I'm sorry. However, the issue goes back to not selectively enforcing whatever the "rules" are.
    Last edited by Blueberry; 11-05-2008 at 08:14 AM.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I just wanted to celebrate for a little bit this historical moment in our history. I am done I am not posting on this thread anymore. I want all to feel welcome I really do.

Can I just add one other thing, by way of a very small consolation?

Our President-elect is the son of two people who could not have legally married in many US states when he was born.

I am the daughter of two people who could not legally marry in the state where my mother's home church was located.

Yes it's extremely sad to see those same traditions - and many of the same laws - being revived to discriminate against another group of people. But there is hope, I must believe it.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm truly sorry if I have offended anyone. I don't know if anyone has me on ignore; I hope not, that would make me really sad. I mean well.

However, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to survive in the world every day if you are intimidated by someone having a different view than you. As adults, I think we should be able to accept that we will have differences.

And as for this political discussion -- I think it's perfectly fine for anyone to disagree with Obama on policy issues (reasonable, smart people disagree all of the time), and also fine for anyone to express a wish that McCain had won. Of course there will be disagreement on what is good for this country. However, to suggest that Obama is a fascist who will turn the USA into a police state ("The first steps will be to suppress any opposition, then the civilian security force, then who knows") is not substantive political disagreement, it looks dangerously close to baseless hate-mongering. If you can offer a convincing justification for that view, though, you might be able to get me to change my mind. That's the thing about political discussions -- every view is admissable, but every view is also fair game. You have to be willing to accept those terms not only for others' views, but also for your own. Maybe that IS a form of discussion that TE cannot handle -- and I guess that's OK -- but I also think we all need to have thicker skins sometimes.

Originally posted by Jobob:
    Oh, and thank you to those who have posted here and on various other threads the little snarks about whether or not it's "allowed" to discuss politics on this forum - you know who you are.
    you're welcome, Jobob !
    Last edited by VeloVT; 11-05-2008 at 09:07 AM.