Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

IronGirl Registration in Maryland Now Open

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've posted this in the triathlon section, but also wanted to let everyone know that the registration for the 2009 IronGirl in Columbia, MD, is now open. I volunteered this past year, and it looked like a blast, and just registered for 2009.
    Here's the registration link:
    https://www.tricolumbia.org/IronGirl/

Quote Originally Posted by juliemcd View Post
    I've posted this in the triathlon section, but also wanted to let everyone know that the registration for the 2009 IronGirl in Columbia, MD, is now open. I volunteered this past year, and it looked like a blast, and just registered for 2009.
    Here's the registration link:
    https://www.tricolumbia.org/IronGirl/
    I raced in 2007. It's a great event. 2008 had a conflict with our vacation plans. Unfortunately, it looks like 2009 will also be a problem.

Have fun!
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I registered for 2009--this'll be my first triathlon and I'm already wondering if I made a huge mistake!

Sarah

I registered for it to be my first triathlon but then got psyched out and did a shorter sprint triathlon first. It's a great event, and there will be lots of beginners and first-timers, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first triathlon.

Do you live near enough to practice on the course?

PM me if you want to talk.

Nicole
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    I registered for it to be my first triathlon but then got psyched out and did a shorter sprint triathlon first. It's a great event, and there will be lots of beginners and first-timers, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first triathlon.

Do you live near enough to practice on the course?

PM me if you want to talk.

Nicole
    I work in Columbia, so getting to the course is no problem. I know a lot of people who participate in this event, and they've been trying to talk me into signing up for the last two years (of course, I think they try to get everyone to sign up: "you have two legs? Great! You should do the Iron Girl!"). The original plan was that I would do the CAN triathlon in Bethesda first with my son's teacher--it's a pool swim and much shorter distances than a sprint triathlon, but it looks like they've stopped doing that one. But my son's teacher convinced me to try the Iron Girl; she's not a super-athletic competitive type--she has a form of lupus and various health problems related to that, and she was so enthusiastic about her experiences that I figured if she could do it, I could too. She's offered to help me with training. Right now I'm at the point where I can do any of the parts of the triathlon on its own without too much problem--I just need to put them all together without actually dying of a heart attack!

The thing that has me wondering if I've made a huge mistake is that I've never been able to sustain regular workouts over long periods of time--something always gets in the way so I stop working out for four or five weeks, and at this point in my life when that happens I start back at square one. With ten months until this event, I don't want that to happen, so I'm looking at the next ten months and thinking geez, when do I get to be lazy?

Sarah

You're way ahead of where I was when I signed up for IronGirl. I had just started running but didn't yet know how poorly I swam. Even with a 10 month training period I was barely able to swim 1000m straight in the pool when the IronGirl came.

My first triathlon was down in Richmond and included a pool swim. If you are looking for something like that closer to home, take a look at the sprint triathlon in Hagerstown. I just did their duathlon and the course was good and the organization was also good.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    You're way ahead of where I was when I signed up for IronGirl. I had just started running but didn't yet know how poorly I swam. Even with a 10 month training period I was barely able to swim 1000m straight in the pool when the IronGirl came.

My first triathlon was down in Richmond and included a pool swim. If you are looking for something like that closer to home, take a look at the sprint triathlon in Hagerstown. I just did their duathlon and the course was good and the organization was also good.

Thanks for the advice! That Hagerstown triathlon sounds like a good one--I'll have to look into that. I'm not good or even remotely competitive at any of the events, and swimming is my worst. I hadn't attempted anything more than just splashing around in a pool since about 1989 until this August, when I discovered that I couldn't really swim so much as I could not-drown my way across the pool. I've improved enough since then (it was less about lack of fitness and more about just learning to coordinate my arms and legs and breathing) that I can make it through 1000 meters, but it involves stopping every 25 meters since I haven't figured out a flip turn yet. I need to just suck it up and try it--I'm embarassed to attempt it with people watching, but those lifeguards just won't go away!

You don't need to do a flip turn! Just hit the wall with your hand, turn around, and push off. Try a web search on "open turns".
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

hmmmm, my sister and two friends of ours are looking to try our first tri next year, maybe the hagerstown one is the way to go. i seem to be the only one OK with open water, so starting in a pool would make a lot of folks happy. i'll have to bookmark and see where we stand next year. the irongirl one looks very cool, but also likely the same weekend as the philly livestrong, if history repeats itself. so that would be out.

thanks for the info!
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

I'll have to check out the one in Hagerstown also--that looks like a good one.
    It'll be my first tri also--I'm nervous about the swimming too. I've been hitting the pool for the past few weeks for 45 min lap sessions, but I guess I'll need to step that up.
    Does anyone know of a good book or Website with a training program? I don't want to pay for one, I'd rather just find one in a book or something.
    Also, I heard this weekend the the DC Triathlon Club is really good for beginners. Annual membership is $35, and supposed they've really revamped their programs in recent years to have more offerings for beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by juliemcd View Post
    I'll have to check out the one in Hagerstown also--that looks like a good one.
    It'll be my first tri also--I'm nervous about the swimming too. I've been hitting the pool for the past few weeks for 45 min lap sessions, but I guess I'll need to step that up.
    Does anyone know of a good book or Website with a training program? I don't want to pay for one, I'd rather just find one in a book or something.
    Also, I heard this weekend the the DC Triathlon Club is really good for beginners. Annual membership is $35, and supposed they've really revamped their programs in recent years to have more offerings for beginners.

BeginnerTriathlete.com
    is a great place to log your workouts and ask triathlon specific questions. They have training plans, some free without a membership, with many more available with a membership. I'm on there as MDHillSlug and there are a few other TE women there as well. Remember that there's a triathlon section on TE as well; a great place for info and questions.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I just registered as part of a relay team. I will be swimming, 7Rider (Regina) will be biking, and her friend Margot will be running. The race is likely to sell out today!

DivingBiker (Janice) spurned our invite to be our swimmer and signed up to race on her own.

This should be a blast!
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Head still spinning.
    What did I do???
    I have NO CLUE what to do in a triathalon...much less as part of a relay team.
    Ohhhh....so much to learn......Hill.....you must teach this coming summer....
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Head still spinning.
    What did I do???
    I have NO CLUE what to do in a triathlon...much less as part of a relay team.
    Ohhhh....so much to learn......Hill.....you must teach this coming summer....
    I think doing the ride as part of a relay team should be easier for you because you don't have to worry about doing transitions or saving up energy for the run. However, you will still need to learn about how the transition area works: how to rack your bike, etc. I'm not sure what special rules apply to relay teams.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Talking

is anyone familiar with the course? When I volunteered at the '08 race, I heard that the cycling course was pretty hilly.